Australia's opposition

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 11:37 am
http://img348.imageshack.us/img348/2955/australianpoll2kx.jpg
source: The Australian, page 2, 03.08.05

Actually, I had thought, results were worse for Howard.

But is this more a question concerning the opposition and the leading figures there?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,453 • Replies: 13
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 11:44 am
Walter - the title...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 11:52 am
I was also a little mystified by the title . . . although i do know many Americans who cannot, apparently, make the distinction . . .
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 12:01 pm
Corrected Embarrassed

Setanta wrote:
I was also a little mystified by the title . . . although i do know many Americans who cannot, apparently, make the distinction . . .

But I quoted an Australian paper, posted it in the Australian cathegory ... just jumbled a bit the hemispheres :wink:
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 03:59 pm
What do you want to know?
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 11:22 pm
Yes, our politics are more confusing than our wildlife Very Happy
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 11:22 pm
Well, I'd thought that - especially after the London attacks - the opposition would gain and Howard loose support, for instance.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 11:53 pm
Er - those polls are confusing to reqd cos they stretch the scren - is that not what happened?

Actually, prolly Howard would gain if people are frightened - Australians tend to coalesce in support of conservatives if they are frightened - and Howard leads a conservative government.

Beasley is a re-run Opposition leader - they are is some disarray, after an experiment with a different leader ushered in a disastrous election result. Not that Labor lost support so much overall - but they lost it in a few key seats that meant disaster.

The Opposition is struggling to decide on coherent policy and direction.

The conservative's proposed new Industrial relations legislation IS, however, losing them support right now - as have revelations of appalling behaviour in the department that runs the mandatory detention system for illegal immigrants. Hopefully that tide is turning.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2005 11:56 pm
dlowan wrote:
The Opposition is struggling to decide on coherent policy and direction.

Exactly that is what I've thaught - such hapening elsewhere as well.
(That quoted poll was from yesterday's actual paper, btw.)

Thanks for your response.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 12:52 am
Part of the problem is incumbency. I am always amazed that someone can ask, let alone answer, a question that asks how the incumbent is doing and would the alternative be better. I must be bit slow but surely one is the evaluation of someone actually doing the job and the other is a hypothetical?

Also the Opposition in Australia has failed to differentiate itself sufficiently from the parties in Government. Why vote for a pale imitation when the real thing is in power?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 01:00 am
Hmm. On the other site, a long(er) incumbency can give exactly in opposite results as well - like here in Germany: "perhaps they can do do it better?"
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 01:20 am
There appears to be more effective opposition to Howard's excesses from his own backbenchers right now than from the "official" opposition.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 03:42 am
Good point Walter, a confirmation of the old adage that governments lose elections, oppositions don't win them.....msolga - isn't that a tragedy?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 08:15 am
That sounds somehow familiar..
0 Replies