Political Echo Chamber

gollum

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2022 01:56 pm
I believe that Facebook and some other websites send each of its users news items reflecting choices they have made on that site and possibly on other sites.

This results in each citizen learning only about those others who think the way that person thinks.

Could Congress enact a law requiring each website to send the same feed to all of its members?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 772 • Replies: 4
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2022 02:15 pm
@gollum,
Congress' laws only apply in America.

The Internet is global.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2022 02:50 pm
@gollum,
No, Congress doesn't have any authority over how FB interacts with its customers. FB is no different in this respect than Fox News or MSNBC.
gollum

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2022 03:28 pm
@engineer,
engineer and izzythepush-

Thank you. I'm not convinced that you are wrong. I don't know the correct answer.

I believe that Facebook is incorporated in one of the 50 States (e.g., Delaware), based in a U.S. city, operated largely out of U.S. locations, and employing largely U.S. citizens and residents. I believe that one or more of these attributes make it subject to U.S. law.
engineer

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2022 04:56 pm
@gollum,
But Congress is subject to the Constitution. FB has rights as do their users. If their users choose to associate with those of similar views the government can't prevent them. Both speech and association are protected by the first amendment.
0 Replies