PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA (win32k.sys)

brical

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 06:19 pm
I don't know where to begin and would apprectiate any assistance.

I have a Compaq Presario (XP Home Edition) and keep getting a blue screen with the following message:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: win32k.sys"

Technical Information:

**** STOP: 0x00000050 (ox88B4E433,0x00000001,0xBF81A76E,0x00000000)

*** win32k.sys - Address BF81A76E base at BF800000, DateStamp 422511a2

Beginning dump of physical memory
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 9,604 • Replies: 3
No top replies

fishin

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 08:04 pm
The most commen cause for this error is a conflict with a video card or driver. You might want to check the Compaq/HP WWW site for an updated driver for your video card.

I've also seen people report it when they are running movies or video editing applications.

Everything seems to be related to video problems though. That's where I'd start.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 11:19 am
I would think it highly probable that error is being caused by a driver issue - whether badly written or just corrupted. Have you checked Device Manager for any problem components - items flagged with yellow question marks or red "X"s? Start>Control Panel>System>Hardware tab>Device Manager, look to see if anything is indicated as a problem.

Also, you might try going to Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Event Viewer and taking a look at both the Application and System listings in the left panel. Highlighting those will bring up "events" in the right panel, where you can look for error messages flagged either by a yellow triangle with an exclamation point (advisory, mebbe or mebbe not something to be concerned about) or a red circle with a white X (warning, a real problem). A right-click and selection of "Properties" on the specific event may lead you to a specific driver or hardware which is causing the issue. A fairly comprehensive guide to event error messages can be found at EventID - you might find some pertinent info there which could aid in narrowing down the problem's source.

When installing or re-installing drivers, you should first download the item vendor's latest-for-your-configuration version (always the best idea) or extract from the component or peripheral's CD the driver in question, then uninstall the problem driver, and only then install the replacement. I've found it generally best to un-install and install or re-install drivers while in Safe Mode, thereby assuring no applications (particularly antivirus and/or other security/privacy software) or advanced drivers are
running and the system is using only "generic" Windows drivers.
0 Replies

brical

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 05:28 pm
Thanks for the suggestions. I uninstalled real player and this seemed to fix the problem
0 Replies