Please help the humble Luddite!

Noddy24

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 03:00 pm
Just before Christmas, my Windows '98 became very ornery.

My shortcuts from the desk top do not pop up on request. A note appears on the taskbar (bottom toolbar?) and I have to "maximize" them.

I cannot access internet sites from links in e mail. Once again, I have to maximize from the taskbar/toolbar.

Using Internet Explorer, I cannot simply click on a link and get connected. I click, go to the task bar/toolbar....

A Techie-in-the-family has been promising, promising. Can anyone tell me how to fix it myself?

Eternal gratitude is just waiting to be expressed.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,049 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 03:12 pm
Hmm, this sounds like the window is opening at a size that makes it so that it can't be used.

I'm assuming you are talking about browser windows and not other applications (if this is a problem that involves ALL of your applications my following advice is irrelevant).

Now, windows "remembers" the broswer window size. So sometimes if you close a window that is very small, tyhe next time you open your broiswer the window will be very small.

The secret is to open it, resize it and close it so that it is remembered.

But there is a bit of a problem with that. Actually there are a few:

1) if more than 1 window is open it does not work.

2) The maximize button does not do the trick.

So try this (once again, these instructions are for browser size on opening problems, if this is not the problem it won't help. But it also won't hurt):

1) open the brower (with no other browser open).

2) DRAG the broswer window to a larger size. Do not use the maximize option. Drag the borders until it is a good size. If you would like, you can use this code in your URL bar to size the window to a specific resolution:

Code:javascript:resizeTo(800,600)

Then close the window. When you open it again the size you dragged to (or used the script to resize to) will be "remembered" by windows.

It's not always easy, so it might take a few tries.

Lemme know if it works.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 03:16 pm
Noddy! Where ya been! Missed you!

(Sorry, no practical advice, but you've got the advice-master here so I'm sure it'll be figured out in no time and I wanted to say howdy.)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 03:23 pm
Craven--

Many thanks, but I don't have a tiny window, I have no window--except for the entry on the toolbar/taskbar.

What is the difference between "a browser window" and "other applications"?

I cannot get from Point A to Point B without detouring through the toolbar/taskbar.

Sozobe--

This has been a long, gray winter. Now crocus are blooming and this morning I saw a chickadee with a wisp of straw. Spring will be better.

How is your darling daughter? You must both be ready for effortless outdoor weather.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 03:35 pm
We are indeed. It has been 70's here (though now chillier) and has been pure bliss to simply walk out the door without strenuous application of coat, and hat, and boots, and mittens, and scarf, and...

Crocus! Yay. The sozlet spotted the first robin of the year a couple of weeks ago -- it took several repetitions of, "Look, mommy, a robin!", with increasing emphasis on the last word, before I realized the import. (I had been vaguely saying, "how nice, a robin" while tending to other things.)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 03:41 pm
noddy,

I gotta go back to work. I'mm get back to this. If I don't do it tonight please bump up this topic.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 05:46 pm
Shortcut on the desktop does not work?
First delete (move to Trash) the shortcut. Open "Profram Files" -> InternetExplorer folder. Choose the exe file of InternetExplore (the IE icon you are familiar with). Right click on the icon and click on the item "make shorcut" in the dropdown menu, then drag the shortcut icon to the desktop. Close every folder you opened.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 08:10 pm
Noddy
Unfortunately, I can't offer any help either, but wanted to drop in and say hello :-D
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2003 08:11 pm
Noddy,

I once thought I wasn't getting a window either but I was and just wasn't noticing it.

Browser vs. Other Applications: Application means program, my advice was specific to internet browsers (such as Internet Explorer or Netscape).

If your problem occurs only with browser shortcuts my advice might be relevant but if it also happens when you click on shortcuts to other items my earlier advice would then be irrelevant.

Satts gave some good advice about creating new shortcuts. Maybe your shortcuts are pointing at file locations that have changed. You can try making new shortcuts without deleting your old ones, that will show you if this is the problem.

Let us know how we can help. If you can describe what you mean about the activity happening on your taskbar it would help.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 11:42 am
People--

Sorry for my silence. I forgot to check "watch this topic".

Satt-focusable--

I'll try your suggestion and report back. Will this also fix the problems in Internet Explorer and Outlook Express?

Gessy--

Thanks for the greetings. This has been a long winter. I have little talent for snow.

Craven--

When I say that "activity happens on the taskbar" I mean that instead of windows opening automatically and covering my screen, a notification appears on the task bar. I have to right click on the notification, then left click on "maximize" in order to open the window.

Toddling towards the 21st century, I remain.

Noddy
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 04:09 pm
What I said must be good for every application that has a ".exe" file.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 04:21 pm
s_f--

I'll give your suggestions another try tomorrow, but I'm afraid I don't know enough to follow directions.

Still, many thanks.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 05:45 pm
Is the notification to the right (neat the clock)? Or in the middle, where open windows would usually be displayed?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 08:49 pm
Craven--

In the middle where open windows are usually displayed.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 09:04 pm
Try this:

Right click on a shortcut.

Click on properties.

Click on the "short cut" tab.

There should be a drop down menu called "run".

The menu choices are: "normal window", "minimized", and "maximized".

Select anything but "minimized" and see if that solves your problem.

If so, repeat with the other shortcuts.

If not, let us know.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2003 02:27 pm
Craven, Satt-focusable--

Stepson techie just came to visit and after three hours announced that "Cascade Windows" was disabled and he'd fixed it. He also installed Internet Explorer 6.1.

I am much happier. Thank you both.
0 Replies