How to deal with extremely strict parents as a teen?

Kayster

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2022 03:38 pm
@Medusax,
They don't want me working more than a mile away from my house so I can walk there since I don't have my own car. The thing is, there are busses near my house and I'm okay with using them to get to work. For some reason they take issue with that.The only places within a mile of my house are 2 fast food places and 4-5 stores, which limits me by quite a bit. They aren't even all hiring, and since my phone is restricted it's basically impossible to even get an interview. I just feel trapped, I can't ven make money to move out at 18.
snood

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2022 03:56 pm
@Kayster ,
Would military service be a non-starter for you?
Below viewing threshold (view)
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2022 04:30 pm
@miyako,
How would you know?
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2022 04:31 pm
@snood,
Not a bad thought.
miyako

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2022 04:41 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
How would you know?

The historical record, bobsal, something you obviously have no clue about.
0 Replies

miyako

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2022 04:43 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Here's an excellent hint for a totally clueless "citizen".
====
"If the Nuremberg laws were applied, then every post-war American president would have been hanged. By violation of the Nuremberg laws I mean the same kind of crimes for which people were hanged in Nuremberg. And Nuremberg means Nuremberg and Tokyo. So first of all you’ve got to think back as to what people were hanged for at Nuremberg and Tokyo. And once you think back, the question doesn’t even require a moment’s waste of time." -- Noam Chomsky
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2022 05:04 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
The reason I asked is because it can be one way out of a dead end existence.
I know, because the military was my escape hatch once upon a time.

It’s a job with a steady paycheck and it can give one’s life some structure and purpose if one is willing to put forth a little effort.

And for our OP, it’s a sure way out of your mom and dad’s house, and out on your own.
miyako

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2022 05:28 pm
@snood,
Quote:
it can give one’s life some structure and purpose

Soldiers and Marines, as is common in all wars, collected body parts of dead Vietnamese — heads, noses, scalps, breasts, teeth, ears, fingers, genitals — and displayed them or wore them in necklaces. “There was people in all the platoons with ears on cords,” Jimmie Busby, a member of the 75th Rangers during 1970-1971, told an Army criminal investigator. Corpses were dressed up and twisted into comic poses for photographs or gruesomely mutilated. Severed heads of Vietnamese were mounted on pikes or poles in Army camps. The dead were lashed onto Army vehicles — which at times ran over Vietnamese civilians for sport — and driven through villages. -- Nick Turse
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2022 05:40 pm
@snood,
It worked for me. Learned a lot as a nuclear machinist mate, went to Machinist Mate A school, submarine school, nuclear achademics and learned physics, got my college paid for, saw some amazing things, met a lot of good people.

I enjoyed boot camp, volunteered for 'happy hours', ate good, got into great shape - I'd recommend the military to anyone at loose ends with no resources IF: they are serious about bettering themselves. It s not a place to be a **** up in.
snood

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2022 05:46 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Yeah it really works for some people.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 23 Feb, 2022 06:36 pm
@snood,
And it most certainly is not a place for everyone.
0 Replies

Kayster

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2022 01:30 am
@snood,
I'm not sure, really. I spoke to a couple people about it like a year or two ago since there was an event at my school, and I'm pretty sure the age cut-off was 17, so I'd have to wait a bit. I'm not sure how to even approach something like that though.
snood

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2022 06:09 am
@Kayster ,
Kayster wrote:

I'm not sure, really. I spoke to a couple people about it like a year or two ago since there was an event at my school, and I'm pretty sure the age cut-off was 17, so I'd have to wait a bit. I'm not sure how to even approach something like that though.

When I joined the Army I had been working in a shoe store in a tiny town. Living with my mom. I had an impulse one day to go to the recruiting office in the next town and just see what they were selling. I didn’t actually think I was going to join, or anything. Just a twenty mile drive to the next town, and a short visit with the weird guys in uniform. Just for something to do that day. I had a couple of misdemeanors on my record, and I was older than the average person who goes in, so I didn’t even really think they’d take me.

Ends up that they convinced me to follow my impulse a little further, and a couple days later I took a trip to the induction center in Raleigh (NC) - that’s where people actually join.

As I filled out all the forms and got examined physically and answered whatever questions they had; then raised my hand and swore to “defend the constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic” - all I was thinking was “at least I’ll be able to GO somewhere and DO something”. I was hungry for a life.

A couple weeks after that I took an airplane to Missouri and began
basic training. It was hard, and I wanted to quit after four days, but eight weeks later I was very glad that I didn’t. I will always remember the sense of pride and accomplishment I had.

After that, they trained me in a specific job.
After that, I got ‘stationed’ at my first base. After that…

I stayed for twenty years. I got a life from joining the military, Kayster.

Not saying it would do the same for you. But you seem like someone who wants her own life. It might be a good idea to just talk to a recruiter, and see what they have to offer. Keep in mind that they get paid to talk people into joining, so some of them can seem a little full of BS. Don’t be pushed into anything. Maybe talk to recruiters from more than one service. Their offices are usually all right there together. You might find that Navy, Air Force or Marines
makes more sense to you.

Nothing to lose by just listening, and then taking time to think over what you hear.

I’m here to answer any questions I can.

Rooting for you.

snood

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2022 06:42 am
@Kayster ,
Just wanted to add one thing:
My sister joined the Marines right out of high school. She only stayed three years, but she definitely credits her time in the service for getting her in shape and making a responsible adult out of her.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2022 08:07 am
@snood,
There is also coast guard. I agree it is probably best to speak one to see what fits you best. There would be things to consider like the marines would be the most physically demanding, and even things like where you could potentially be stationed , what type of opportunities , time commitment and it is true they will puff up and make it seem more desirable.
0 Replies

Medusax

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2022 11:56 am
@Kayster ,
They sound like mine were. They would talk about being independent etc, then they would say "Oh no, you're not going to do that..." about any decision I made. In retrospect, they were trying to keep me as dependent as possible.
0 Replies