Living life for the moment....immature or enlightened?

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 12:17 am
Just got done serving a three week ban (Twisted Evil) so I thought I'd drop in and kick around some shiznet that's been on my mind.

I'm having somewhat of an early life "crisis' in that I have no direction and am not sure how I want to live my life.

My ambitious side desires that I become a productive member of society, working in a meaningful profession and making a difference in the lives of those around me and society in general.

Conversely, my cynical side says that "nothing matters because we are all going to die anyways" and in turn, pushes me towards a lifestyle of enjoying the moment and apathy towards work.

My ambitious side wants me to read books so that I may acquire knowledge and grow in the future, while my cynical side wants me to waste time playing video games. I think you get the picture so anyways....

I'm currently allowing my ambitious side to captain the ship that is my life, as I'm in college and working hard to put together a top shelf resume but the cynical side is slowly pulling at my conscience. I'm faced with the question: will the hours spent hitting the books, working throughout the week, and constantly forcing myself to grow and adapt to function in both the workplace and society be worth it in the end? As life is relatively brief, is it not better to "buck the system" and live a simple life spending time "hanging out", traveling, and accumulating memories?

Essentially, I can't tell if my cynical side is bread from immaturity and that living such a life would leave me unfulfilled when I grow older; OR if my cynical side is enlightened and has given me the early realization that the wear and tear of the life society promotes is a waste of our short time on earth and that in old age I'd be regretful of all the time I had spent working if I lived according to my ambitious side.

Feedback??? (It's late, so if anyone needs further clarification of my convoluted writing just say so. )
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,037 • Replies: 12
No top replies

flushd

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 12:41 am
How old are you Bubba?

I'm 26, and I have this same struggle basically every day:
I don't wanna go to work/study/work-out/ whatever
I don't wanna be 40 and broke/burnt-out/ shiftless/whatever

I think your mind is just fuckin' with ya Laughing
it happens to me too

Unfortunately, the facts of life tell me I gotta somehow live in the moment AND get my work done too.
It's a tricky business, and sometimes I get bored.
The mind is very very good at making up excuses not to do the things we dislike ......there's always something better to do, right?!

I hope this helps
0 Replies

BubbaGumbo

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 02:03 am
"How old are you Bubba?

I'm 26, and I have this same struggle basically every day:
I don't wanna go to work/study/work-out/ whatever
I don't wanna be 40 and broke/burnt-out/ shiftless/whatever

I think your mind is just ****' with ya Laughing
it happens to me too

Unfortunately, the facts of life tell me I gotta somehow live in the moment AND get my work done too.
It's a tricky business, and sometimes I get bored.
The mind is very very good at making up excuses not to do the things we dislike ......there's always something better to do, right?!

I hope this helps"

It's good to hear others share in my misery Laughing
I'm 19 but nearing 20 quickly Drunk I feel like I should have some of this figured out by now as my entrance into the "real world" is rapidly approaching.

I understand moderation is key, but maintaining that moderation has proven to be very difficult. I feel like I get wrapped up in work/school far too often and forget to enjoy things. Constant work has already left a negative imprint on me. I can't imagine how I'll feel about it when I'm 40, even if I achieve success.

I would really enjoy, in a sense, being a "bum" for an extended period of time after graduating from college, but I know fear of scorn from my parents/friends will not allow such behavior Sad
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 03:19 am
Quote:
I would really enjoy, in a sense, being a "bum" for an extended period of time after graduating from college, but I know fear of scorn from my parents/friends will not allow such behavior

Hmm, sounds like you're facing a tough decision.

From what you've said, it sounds like you work very hard and are feeling like the 'fun' part of your life is getting shoved aside....and you need a break.

Take this into account when you read my advice: I have the opposite tendency of you. I play too much, and have a hard time making myself work.

If you've been in school for a long time and haven't had a chance to just 'look around' , you might actually NEED a break.

Being a bum takes planning. It's actually a lot of work. Laughing

If you decide you need some time off after college, I would suggest planning it now. Make sure you have the money, know when you are going to start looking for a job or whatever, and then take the break decisively.
Since you said your parents wouldn't be too pleased with that, I'd point out that it is just a chance to recharge so you don't get burnt out.
Make a good 'case' to them in a way that highlights what they want to hear " Work is important to me. I take my life seriously. blah blah"

It's tough...sorry I don't know how else to help.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 07:24 am
B&f-

There's nothing new in this.It happens to everybody at some point.In the terms you both present it it is not capable of resolution.Henry Miller placed your condition under a microscope and left behind a detailed description.Once you take the "bum" route it is difficult to recover.The career route can be seen as a way to the "bum" route.So if you fancy the "bum" route the best thing is for it to have financial foundations.Hence career.And,and you might not like this,you can get to the "bum" route faster by cutting out all unneccesary spending.A reasonably intelligent person,as you both must be,should be able to afford the "bum" route in comfort and style by 35 if you put your backs into your careers and there's a lot of years left after that for "bumming".That is going to depend on how ambitious you are to become a safe and secure "bum".Money is the key.And marriage,except just for a jape,is right out.At 35 with,say,$300,000 in the bank,you don't want any debris holding you down if you want to do some proper "bumming".
Now-how about seeing those books in a similar light
as the play objects you are into.You have to like your own company for that,which a good "bum" should do,and you have to choose books you love.
No video game I have seen remotely compares to Tropic of Cancer.It is the same with work.Why shouldn't work be as much fun as the pool hall?

Ask yourselves this.You are a top sportsman and you are 21 and you already have $2 million.Do you take the bum route or do you stay a top sportsman with all that entails.If you think your work is tough don't try being a top sportsman.

And don't forget you need to be tight fisted and always value every last dollar.

Just some idle thoughts from a bum.

Best of British though.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 08:41 am
Re: Living life for the moment....immature or enlightened?
BubbaGumbo wrote:
Just got done serving a three week ban (Twisted Evil) so I thought I'd drop in and kick around some shiznet that's been on my mind.

I'm having somewhat of an early life "crisis' in that I have no direction and am not sure how I want to live my life.

My ambitious side desires that I become a productive member of society, working in a meaningful profession and making a difference in the lives of those around me and society in general.

Conversely, my cynical side says that "nothing matters because we are all going to die anyways" and in turn, pushes me towards a lifestyle of enjoying the moment and apathy towards work.

My ambitious side wants me to read books so that I may acquire knowledge and grow in the future, while my cynical side wants me to waste time playing video games. I think you get the picture so anyways....

I'm currently allowing my ambitious side to captain the ship that is my life, as I'm in college and working hard to put together a top shelf resume but the cynical side is slowly pulling at my conscience. I'm faced with the question: will the hours spent hitting the books, working throughout the week, and constantly forcing myself to grow and adapt to function in both the workplace and society be worth it in the end? As life is relatively brief, is it not better to "buck the system" and live a simple life spending time "hanging out", traveling, and accumulating memories?

Essentially, I can't tell if my cynical side is bread from immaturity and that living such a life would leave me unfulfilled when I grow older; OR if my cynical side is enlightened and has given me the early realization that the wear and tear of the life society promotes is a waste of our short time on earth and that in old age I'd be regretful of all the time I had spent working if I lived according to my ambitious side.

Feedback??? (It's late, so if anyone needs further clarification of my convoluted writing just say so. )

I am going to give you good advice which you will be a fool to ignore:

Get good exam results so you can get as much cash as you can get in a smart impressive job, even if it means cheating in the exams. If you are thick, a bit stupid, then you can work as an odd job repair man, but even here you can get up to 1000 pounds a day fleecing the public. I do, and I feel great. Don't forget to pad out your cv with impressive looking references. Get your mates to lie for you. No-one likes a loser so stop whining about it and get your ars in gear and go for the money NOW.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 10:29 pm
welcome back, BG, you're ok in my book, if a bit impulsive. short answer to your question is to do both, by finding a field that intrigues you, so you want to work & study, regardless of material reward, but if it happens to be lucrative, then so much the better. lots of luck; at least, you've got a lot of time ahead of you to get what you want.
0 Replies

insyte

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 10:44 pm
yitwail wrote:
welcome back, BG, you're ok in my book, if a bit impulsive. short answer to your question is to do both, by finding a field that intrigues you, so you want to work & study, regardless of material reward, but if it happens to be lucrative, then so much the better. lots of luck; at least, you've got a lot of time ahead of you to get what you want.

You beat me to it, Yitwail (and you said it better, too).

Here are some useful URLs regarding that topic, Bubba:

news-service.stanford.edu/ news/2005/june15/jobs-061505.html

web.tickle.com (test for seeing what skills and interests you have)

www.management-issues.com/display_ page.asp?section=opinion&id=1385
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 11:02 pm
19 is not too late. Even 26 isn't too late. Talk about looking at life without a rudder, my boat even had full of holes with no cork to plug it. I barely graduated from high school, and college was out of the question.

At 21, I volunteered into the US Air Force after drifting for two years. That's probably the best decision I ever made. The military taught me discipline, and also gave me self-confidence.

I served my four years, then drifted to Chicago because a guy I met while stationed in New Mexico suggested I move there if I didn't have any plans after my discharge.

I worked at a rubber stamp company one block from Wrigley Field during the day, then worked as a assistant matre'd at his parents night club on Wilson Avenue. Social life was fantastic!

During the second summer, I drove back to California to see some family and friends, and found my contemporaries - now in our mid-to-late twenties attending college.

I quit my jobs in Chicago, drove back to California, and started attending the local community college. To make a long story short, I graduated with a degree in accounting from the state university. I had four job offers before I graduated, and took the job with Florsheim Shoe Company as a traveling auditor in the seven western states. After three-and-a-half years, they promoted me to audit manager.

I have worked in management for several companies and nonprofits for the rest of my career, and even retired early at 63. All I do now is world travel.

Yes, it took hard work and dedication to my goal, but once achieved, my life turned out much better than I could have dreamed at 19 or even 26.

I am now 70 years old. We had a a2k guest from Germany today, and we spent the day together visiting the Egyptian museum in San Jose and Stanford University. After dinner, we dropped him off at the train station.

Life is good.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 11:44 pm
Budget your time, Bubba. You're quite mature to ponder so deeply at 19. Have some fun, but don't do anything that will seriously damage your progress. You probably have 20 to 30 years of serious paying attention to do to join CI, in happily ever after land. At 37; I can tell you that the dilemma isn't much different. I believe you have to laugh every day... and time lost is time you'll never get back. Still, being an old bum has none of the romantic charm being a young one does. Pay enough attention to always be able to choose which lifestyle you prefer. Few life choices have permanent effects... but seemingly most of the good ones require some hard work. Read Atlas Shrugged to help you understand that you are the best person to choose your direction. Good luck to you. (No time for debates... so sorry doubters. :wink:)
0 Replies

BubbaGumbo

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 01:25 am
"No video game I have seen remotely compares to Tropic of Cancer"

Obviously you've never played Halo 2 on Xbox Live!! Laughing

Just a brief update: I decided to continue to work hard and now have an upcoming summer internship at Goldman Sachs as a financial analyst. I'm still not sold on the work gig, but hopefully I will continue to pursue it until I have amassed enough money to live comfortably as a bum on a sunny island Cool
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2005 01:38 am
BG, I truly believe you are doing just fine. You have established a good pattern of work and fun that is necessary for a happy life. Some people never learn to enjoy life. Balance is important, but so is hard work. I never competed with other people in college or at work; I just gave it my all.
0 Replies

Beena

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 02:47 pm
BG,
It is commom knowledge that, "If you're not happy with what you have now, you'll never be happy." One of my nephews in India was in a similar scenario as you, nothing to do with any ban though. He asked me what do you really live for, and I said to him the above and what most believe that, 'If you let yourself drift and don't take charge of your life, you'll end up landing somewhere where you don't want to be.' Similar to a log drifting in the river with no aim or objective. Now, there are some people I know who don't mind drifting, but others like to take charge. Only you can make that decision. My nephew was like, oh! Bua, you just made my day. As for life, I believe that keeping ourselves busy and involved with others, never makes us lose perspective in life and so keeps us happy. Balance like others have said is always good but what is best is having a passion for something in life, so that you remain motivated and at the same time feel loved.
0 Replies