Are you happy with what you've got? New Holiday

Chai

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 11:38 am
Do you have a place to sleep tonight?
Food in your stomach?
Reasonably good health?
Someone who cares about you?

I understand the need to strive, work towards goals, whether they be material, political, etc., but......

It seems there are so many people who no matter what happens, or what progress is made, they are never happy.

No matter who is elected president, bumper stickers appear expressing disgust at the choice.
When a natural catastrophe occurs, fingers point at those rendering aid, accusing those giving it of not doing enough.
People enter relationships only to let the world and their partner know they are not good enough for them.

It appears some never take even a moment to stop and admire what has been accomplished. Saying "this is good, it is enough"

I'd like to make tomorrow, Sunday, July 31 the First Annual "Be Happy With What You've Got Day"

No bitching, whining or moaning about Iraq, the President, your wife, job or whether or not the atheists or believers are right for just one day.

Don't worry, all those things will still be there Monday.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 872 • Replies: 14
No top replies

spendius

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 12:46 pm
The only difference between that and an ostrich with its head in the sand is that the ostrich doesn't know about Monday.
0 Replies

AllThisBeauty

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2005 01:28 am
Well said, spendius.

But it's a noble sentiment, Chai Tea, and worth pondering. We must try to live in the current moment and rejoice in it.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 06:43 am
spendius wrote:
The only difference between that and an ostrich with its head in the sand is that the ostrich doesn't know about Monday.

One day, just one day.
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 06:59 pm
This might not apply to everyone here, but isn't Thanksgiving more or less the same as what you're proposing? In addition to commemorating the rescue of early colonists from starvation by the people their progeny would eventually conquer, it's a day when you're supposed to appreciate all that you have to be thankful for (family, health, a roof over your head, a belly full of turkey, stuffing and pumpkin pie...mmmm...pumpkin pie).
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 07:16 pm
I use a similar approach towards my view of life on a regular basis. To me it is a matter of getting a meal in my stomach, having a roof over my head and having been able to talk with at least one person that day. If I have that and know who I am and where I am, I am doing good and have no right to be complaining.

(This is not to say I do not have off days but if I start going to the poor me route I stop for a moment and remember to count my blessings...puts me right back in order.)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 07:18 pm
Damn, I missed it.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 07:21 pm
There's always next time. Never give up hope. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 07:23 pm
If only I had gotten a chance to celebrate, I probably would have a better life right now.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 07:28 pm
Well I tell you what now. Here is what you are going to do. Tonight you will go to bed and sleep peacefully and comfortably and then tomorrow morning you will wake up and greet the day with a happy smile Very Happy Any time during the day something seems a little off just think about all the great things that have occurred in your life. No, not the negatives, only the positives. Do this for a while and soon it will be second nature to you and life will be grand.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 07:29 pm
<does sturgis know I have a dry sense of humor?>

I'm just playing Sturgis.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 07:44 pm
I missed it too, Goddammit!

My life blows.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 07:44 pm
heehee
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 07:46 pm
I missed it, but don't need it. I've got it all except a trophy girlfriend right now.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 07:31 am
Mills75 wrote:
This might not apply to everyone here, but isn't Thanksgiving more or less the same as what you're proposing? In addition to commemorating the rescue of early colonists from starvation by the people their progeny would eventually conquer, it's a day when you're supposed to appreciate all that you have to be thankful for (family, health, a roof over your head, a belly full of turkey, stuffing and pumpkin pie...mmmm...pumpkin pie).

I thought of that when first posting, but Thanksgiving as become just another holiday where the point seems to be eating too much and watching football.

Be honest, did you sit with your loved ones last Thanksgiving and tell them how grateful you are to have them in your life?

Also - I am proclaiming this to be an international holiday.

I'm gladdened that some responded positively to this thread, I was saddened that at first I thought those who posted were so cynical and jaded they couldn't even imagine one day without complaining.

In light of the fact that several people missed my impromteau Sunday holiday, I am hereby amending the date and proclaiming this the first annual Be Happy With What You've Got WEEK!

Feel free to pick any day this week to reflect on the miracle of living in an age where previously fatal diseases are prevented with an innoculation,
where we can walk into a store and buy foods from around the world, where we live in houses and apartments with walls, windows and doors.

Feel free to rejoice for one day for not having to take every single piece of news and twist it into the end of the world. Remember, it'll be there tomorrow.
0 Replies