What is your favorite opening scene to a movie?

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2022 08:29 am
Simply just that. What is/are your favorite opening scene/scenes to a movie/movies?

Is it action intense? Is it gripping and thrilling? Is it sad/funny?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,703 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Mame

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2022 08:35 am
@tsarstepan,
I loved the opening scene to Margaret's Museum.

"Set in the 1940s in Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia, the film tells the story of a young girl living in a coal mining town where the death of men from accidents in "the pit" (the mines) has become almost routine. Margaret MacNeil (Helena Bonham Carter) has already lost her father and an older brother and for her, life alone would be preferable to marrying a mine worker—that is until the charming Neil Currie (Clive Russell) shows up. Against the wishes of her hard-bitten mother (Kate Nelligan) they marry, but, before long, financial woes lead to his doing what every other uneducated young man does in the town: take a job underground. His death in the mine, along with her younger brother, drives Margaret to a mental breakdown and, in her surreal world, she decides to create a "special" museum to the memories of all those who have died as a result of the horrific mining conditions."

~~~

So the opening scene: an older model car is driving down a dirt road through the fields. They come to a stop in front of Margaret's Museum and two elderly people get out and go in. Two minutes later, they exit, with the woman screaming her head off. They drive off like a bat outta hell Smile

Great way to start this movie!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2022 09:30 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Simply just that. What is/are your favorite opening scene/scenes to a movie/movies?

Is it action intense? Is it gripping and thrilling? Is it sad/funny?

One opening scene that has always stayed with me through the many years, is the opening scene from A Place In The Sun.

Montgomery Clift trying to hitch a ride on a busy highway. If I remember correctly, one of the cars that passes by is a convertible driven by Elizabeth Taylor...his co-star in the picture.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2022 10:33 am
@tsarstepan,
Star Trek (2009)

The J.J. Abrams reboot. I didn't think it would work.
I'm a Star Trek fan and had my doubts about it.

But by the end of the opening scene I was hooked. Boom! They nailed it.

The birth of Kirk, his fathers sacrifice, the chaos... an amazing opening scene.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAf5qSwsZrM
Albuquerque

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2022 11:49 am
@eurocelticyankee,
I'm going to bend the rules a bit here and in the pop culture vain before I pick an opening scene for a great movie I will point to an entire episode in the Star Trek series that really made an impression on my younger self, for me the best of them all, Inner Light!

hightor

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2022 11:56 am
One long continuous tracking shot!

0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2022 12:21 pm
@Albuquerque,
PS - For the millennials that never saw it a resume:

0 Replies

Albuquerque

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2022 12:38 pm
Back to the topic, the movies, the entry scenes...I will pick a classic, not because of the acting which is not particularly great, not because of the pretty pictures which are common, but because of the message when a message used to have an effect on people!

0 Replies