Artist Identification Help

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2021 09:34 am
Can someone please help me with the signature on this painting? It's indiscernible to me and I'm hoping someone can recognize the signature. The harbor scene is painted on canvas and the framed image measures about 31x19 inches.

https://imgur.com/a/diPYo8M
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 633 • Replies: 7
No top replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2022 10:21 pm
It's a nice enough decorator piece.

Any way to post a photo of a signature and and of the back of the stretcher to see a corner, with any notes or labels.

It's got to be worth $500 -$600. Might be worth more. Like to see some of the brush work.
katelynelise

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2022 08:51 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Hello and thank you for replying. In the link below you can find some close up photos which include the signature. I checked the back and the canvas is stretched pretty tight so I really could not tell if there were any notes or labels tucked away in the corners.

https://imgur.com/a/1RAEMKi
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 09:26 pm
@katelynelise,
Nice enough brushwork. It looks like a serious painter.

I think we can up the value to $800/$900.

I'm surprised that there were no tags or writing or stamps on the frame or stretcher or on the canvas. Looking at a photo from the rear and seeing the corner construction and the canvas can tell us more, like indications of age. Sometimes the artist will list the paints he used for that piece in lead pencil, that can tall one a lot also, like age, quality, nation of origin.
katelynelise

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 09:43 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Thank you for taking the time to look closer at the additional images and for providing a value...this is really great! I'll use a flashlight and will check the back again. The canvas is stretched well and is tight so maybe having a flashlight will help determine if there is anything hidden behind the stretcher. Again...thank you so much! Although the artist is still a mystery, I'm happy that you think the painting is nicely done.
0 Replies

katelynelise

Reply Sun 16 Jan, 2022 09:46 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Also the link below included a photo of the back of the canvas. There was writing on the back but I have no clue what it means.

https://imgur.com/a/diPYo8M
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2022 09:32 am
@katelynelise,
I think we have a painting from the 50s - 70s, I think European for the tourist trade or maybe for the decorator market, the frame came with it, the number is an inventory number, look for a dealer or auction label - bit it seem missing - I bet there was a dust sheet over it and it was removed that had those labels on it. The canvas looks like linen. Sometimes this is an indicator of quality.

The signature is too personal to make out, but it seems fluid, which can indicate an artist of many years.

I think you have a nice painting - a little dirty - that would be nice over a couch or on a mantle. Cleaning would cost several hundred dollars.

I'd hang it.
katelynelise

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2022 11:11 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Thank you. I'm going to take another look at the back in daylight and hopefully get a glimpse of some clue tucked away in the corners. Being from the 50s-70s, the canvas has reminded tight. It is currently hanging on the wall. I've never had a painting cleaned and never knew how costly it was. I'll keep you posted should i find any other clues.
0 Replies