Help with Eastern European or Russian signature

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2023 08:59 pm
http://www.jamesjustinbrown.com/art/collection/unkown2.jpg
http://www.jamesjustinbrown.com/art/collection/unkown2.jpg
Any help reading this signature is appreciated. I just purchased at auction and have not been able to translate it. It's dated 1959 and has a label from the Oscar Krasner gallery. Frame has some sort of museum hanger on the back.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 399 • Replies: 4
No top replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2023 03:14 pm
Oscar's gallery is closed. Both Oscar and his wife (a very good artist herself) are deceased for decades now, though their daughter, a good sculpter, may still be alive in Florida - St Augustine, I believe.

I'd send pictures to a New York gallery specializing in Russian/East European art.

Search engines are your friend. Any chance you can send a photo or description of whatever is on the back of the painting. If there is a dust cover, remove it see anything on the stretcher or canvas. Replace it or replace with brown paper and double sided tape.

I suspect this is a good'un.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2023 08:07 am
@gdfather,
It's been over two weeks since you posted this. Have you tried Google Translate?
[img]Translate images
You can use your phone’s camera to translate text in the Translate app Translate app. For example, you can use your camera to translate signs or handwritten notes. You can use your browser to upload images with text to translate using Google Translate.[/img]
0 Replies

Mgurrl

Reply Wed 3 May, 2023 02:06 pm
@gdfather,
Can you please post a photo of the painting itself? I think I know, but need to see the entire work front and abck-thanks
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 3 May, 2023 03:20 pm
@Mgurrl,
Well said, my friend. Well said, indeed!
0 Replies