How Old Is Old?

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 10:32 am
oan, Haven't seen you around for awhile. Missed you - not only on a2k, but at our London Gathering in April. It was a very successful meet with about a dozen or so attendees at the Penderel's Oak on High Holborn. There were fewer at Walter's home town, but it was also a great gathering. Try to make it next time; you won't regret it.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 10:35 am
Noddy24 wrote:
My mother had a wonderful line, "I'm in my declining years and I decline to do suchandso--or whatever nasty little chore was being foisted upon her.

Being in your declining years is wonderful. I've paid my dues.

It seems the young look at getting old as something to dread, like your life will be over, when in reality, what many would consider their youth (age 18 to oh, 38, in their eyes) is only 20% to 25% of their life.

With age, comes wisdom, discretion and the knowledge you really wouldn't want to have to go through all that young and restless stuff again.

True Noddy, the older you get, the more you realize you have paid your dues, and can leave undesireable stuff to the young, who probably think you're too senile to do it anyway. Laughing

My first reaction is to say I feel quite young, until I listen to some younger people (not all mind you) and the way they talk like they know the mysteries of the universe, and don't relize how much they still need to learn.
I especially like the ones who will tell you about love when their longest relationship has lasted 2 semesters, or the ones who'll tell you what's wrong with your life, when they can't manage to get their laundry done.
Really.
I used to get annoyed, but at one point I realized there really isn't a way to learn about life, except by living it. Now, I'm amused.

That's when I realize I'm young, with the peace that comes with having been there, done that, don't really feel like doing it again.

Nothing New Under the Sun........Remember that the next time you think someone is too "old" to have gone through what you're experiencing.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 10:59 am
Chai Tea--

Thanks for the kind words.

Osso--

Quote:
Oh, I went on about this before.. and didn't express it coherently this time: that as I age, historic times don't seem as far away as they did when I was younger. Thus, 1880 is just as near to my birth as 2005 is. 1776, say, it's not as impossibly far away in my mind as it once was, and neither is 1530, and so on.

You are absolutely right.

Also, a comment of Osso Bucco on another thread reminded me that when giving opinions and advice it is now frequently necessary to qualify the information: "This was true in the '70's." "When I went to college in the '50's. "During the late '80's and early '90's...."

Once you pass sixty you have decades of wisdom and common sense to draw on.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 2 Aug, 2005 11:25 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Chai Tea--

Thanks for the kind words.

Osso--

Quote:
Oh, I went on about this before.. and didn't express it coherently this time: that as I age, historic times don't seem as far away as they did when I was younger. Thus, 1880 is just as near to my birth as 2005 is. 1776, say, it's not as impossibly far away in my mind as it once was, and neither is 1530, and so on.

You are absolutely right.

Also, a comment of Osso Bucco on another thread reminded me that when giving opinions and advice it is now frequently necessary to qualify the information: "This was true in the '70's." "When I went to college in the '50's. "During the late '80's and early '90's...."

Once you pass sixty you have decades of wisdom and common sense to draw on.

Right, I'll remember or hear that an event happened in 1970, and think "why that was just yestereday" I cannot relate that it was 35 years ago.
It's like there are two types of time, the one measured in eons and the one measured in stagnent ticks on a clock.

Sometimes I'll jokingly say to someone who's taking something WAY to seriously "What does that really mean in the great cosmic whell of life"........but really I'm not kidding.

I would like to be a fly on the wall the first time someone who considered themselves young today (in years) has someone say to them "I saw this really old movie last night - Constantine. Did you ever see it?"

Oh - you know that song "Tainted Love" (eh eh, tainted love eh, eh)
It came back out again maybe 5 years ago. I was singing along to it one the radio, and a young lady about 18 was surprised I knew the words to this really cool song.
She absolutely did not believe me when I told her that song was written back when I was in high school.
I mean, we didn't have sex back then, did we?
Let's see, the 70's - no AIDS, birth control pills, condoms available......
Nah, not me.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 08:48 am
Hi CI ---- How's you doin in my fave USA city ?

things aren't what they were I'm afraid. My old legs have given up the ghost & I can only walk a few yards these days. My PC commited suicide a while back, so major re-think is in order. But I'm not OLD
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 10:12 am
I'm not old either at 70. Too bad about your leg problem. My wife has artheritis in her legs, and she canceled our trip to Japan for October. Her brother and sister both had knee replacement surgery, so she's a bit worried about over-extending her legs by walking too much.

Our son tried to load a new version of Windows XP on my old computer a couple of weeks ago and crashed it, so I went out and bought another one with faster speed and more memory for less money. This one has a 3.2GHZ and 160GB of memory with slots for memory cards and a CD/DVD burner. With DSL, the speed doesn't seem any different, but it doesn't crash when I load up over 300 pictures to view and print. I love it!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 10:24 am
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 02:43 pm
Btw, eoe: the Complete Hendrix Woodstock set heads to DVD[/[/b]URL] :wink:
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 05:37 pm
Thanks Walter. My heart skipped a beat just now when this photo hit the screen. It's one of my absolute favorites.
http://img347.imageshack.us/img347/3307/genimage2ix.png[/img]
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 05:39 pm
Thanks Walter. My heart skipped a beat just now when this photo hit the screen. It's one of my absolute favorites.
http://img347.imageshack.us/img347/3307/genimage2ix.png
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 05:40 pm
Thanks Walter. My heart skipped a beat when this photo hit my screen. It's one of my absolute favorites.

http://img347.imageshack.us/img347/3307/genimage2ix.png

Isn't he magnificent.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 07:55 am
Older than Moonlight am I
Younger than Sunlight are you .........................
I digress

3 score years plus some more am I. My dear daughter tho still had the skill & knowledge to buy me a DVD of "THE WHO" in concert for my birthday
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 08:14 am
Eoe, you may be interested in this book about Hendrix which I posted about HERE.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 11:07 am
Hmmm, did Henrix actually play a left-handed guitar?
0 Replies