• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 816 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Lady J

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 02:46 pm
Thank you, cicerone.

I always try to catch the Perseid Meteor showers every year. They really are awesome! Having lived just inland from Bodega Bay for the last 24 years, there were, of course, some nights when it was too foggy and myself and my kids were always kind of bummed. This year, from Oklahoma, provided it is not overcast, I am hoping to have a wonderful presentation of the celestial fireworks. Smile

Thank you for the remind of when this happens. Smile
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 03:01 pm
Lady J, I was happy to learn somebody out there in webland has interest in this kind of thing. It was sent to me by a friend that lives in Tanzania. He and his wife are both physicians, and they have two young boys interested in astronomy. We exchange emails regularly.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 03:44 pm
Very much so, c.i. Years ago, when I was still married, we had a pretty decent sized telescope and watched, night after night, the passing of Haley's comet. It was so exciting to watch its orbit and share it with our kids. I know I'll never see it again in my lifetime (I think its next passing is something like 2061).

We spent many a nights stargazing, planet gazing...looking at the Perseid Constellation (Seven Sisters), The Horsehead Nebulae, the rings of Saturn, the huge dark spot on Jupiter as well as many others, I now cannot even recall.

Not only did it open the door to space for me and make me feel so incredibly small in the big picture, but it introduced a world to my kids that I don't know they would have ever experienced otherwise.

Good stuff, astronomy is.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 04:28 pm
The very best night sky I have ever observed in my life was in South Africa, because there are absolutely no man-made lights out in the safari. The milky way was really spectacular.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 10:13 am
Oh, wow! That must have been amazing to see! I've only seen the Milky Way, and very faintly at that, a couple of times out camping in the wilderness, far from city lights.

I am hoping, being here in Oklahoma gives me the opportunity to view the night skies more often with less city light interference. I also want to get a new telescope, but i have to save my money for the one I really want and it being more of a luxury than a necessity, it may take awhile!

Being in the south Bay, do you have any particular place you like to head out to to watch the meteor showers? In Santa Rosa, where I was, we would head north and then east up into the darkest mountain area we could find that still offered a clear view of the sky and not just the trees! Smile
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 01:19 pm
I suppose the best way to observe the night sky around here is to go up in the foothill just beyond Saratoga - about ten miles from here. Used to do some trail walks up there years ago, but haven't been up there in quite awhile.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 01:44 pm
Have you ever been down to the Lick Observatory on Mt. Hamilton? I was just looking at their webpage for visitor info and although they are sold out for this summer, it would be fun to check it out sometime...

Observe through Lick Telescopes
For a limited number of summer evenings, Lick Observatory offers public viewing through both the 36-inch refracting telescope and 40-inch reflecting telescope. Each evening features two speakers, who present programs even if clouds or fog prohibit viewing.

Dorothy Schaumberg, curator of the Lick Observatory Mary Lea Shane Archives, presents a "History of Lick Observatory" slide lecture. Lick astronomers present multimedia lectures on their research or topics of current interest. Amateur astronomer volunteers provide additional outside viewing and informal talks.

Activities start at sunset with the first talk and continue until everyone has had the opportunity to view through both telescopes. While children may enjoy this program, we ask that you consider the late hours and the need for reasonable public behavior, which may be difficult for children under eight.

2005 SVP Dates
July 15, 8:30 pm
July 16, 8:30 pm
Aug. 12, 8:00 pm
Aug. 13, 8:00 pm
Sept. 9, 7:30 pm
Sept. 10, 7:30 pm
Doors open 30 minutes before programs begin.

Ticket Information
The Summer Visitors Program is is sold out for 2005.

If you have any questions about the Summer Visitors Program, please contact the Lick Observatory Gift Shop at 408-274-5061, or [email protected].

Source
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 02:12 pm
I see Lick Observatory articles in the San Jose Merc some times. I've never been up there, but should visit some day. I'm not surprised their programs for 2005 are sold out.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 03:58 pm
Especially the Aug 12 and 13 ones! I was actually a bit surprised when the September dates were already filled. They do offer day tours as well, but somehow that just doesn't seem to be as fulfilling for some reason. You know... stars=night=dark just seem to go better. Smile
0 Replies