Do you learn nothing from success?

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 12:53 pm
CI has a post on another thread that reminded me of a question I have been wanting to ask A2K members.

It has been said that you only learn through failure - but that seems to take as an assumption that you cannot learn though success.

I have not thought this any further - but what I have been meaning to ask is:

We know failure is a good teacher - but does success have nothing to offer?

TTF
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,436 • Replies: 21
No top replies

John Jones

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 01:29 pm
Re: Do you learn nothing from success?
thethinkfactory wrote:
CI has a post on another thread that reminded me of a question I have been wanting to ask A2K members.

It has been said that you only learn through failure - but that seems to take as an assumption that you cannot learn though success.

I have not thought this any further - but what I have been meaning to ask is:

We know failure is a good teacher - but does success have nothing to offer?

TTF

Learning has nothing to offer, so success is best.
Why have you got a picture of a bum in a hat for your avatar?
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 01:29 pm
Sure.

But, oddly, the most important thing I learned by success is that I was able to overcome the mistakes that had led me to failure before.

I also learned that success isn't so sweet. Hence, I learned to be less driven by career ambition in later years, and enjoy a little more of life.

Does that mean that my success was a failure?
Just wonderin'
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 01:39 pm
fbaezer wrote:
Sure.

But, oddly, the most important thing I learned by success is that I was able to overcome the mistakes that had led me to failure before.

I also learned that success isn't so sweet. Hence, I learned to be less driven by career ambition in later years, and enjoy a little more of life.

Does that mean that my success was a failure?
Just wonderin'

The important thing you learned from success was when to stop trying, the rest is memories.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 04:18 pm
Good points all.

TF

p.s. The bum in the hat is a joke between a friend of mine and I - he calls me "Ass-hat" every now and again. I found this avatar and thought it was funny.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 05:12 pm
It's called "greed."
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 08:20 pm
I think you lost me on this one CI...

TTF
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 08:54 pm
If you're a success, you ought to learn whatever it is that got you there.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 08:59 pm
Do you learn "nothing" from success?" I'm lost too! LOL Actually, if you keep learning, your successes will increase. In a dynamic environment, it's necessary to keep up with the best info system to keep oneself updated. A good example is McDonalds. They improved their menu over the years to keep up with the healthy food trend, and so have their gross sales and net profit.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 08:58 am
I think someone said it before - Sucess teaches you when to stop trying to suceed.

TF
0 Replies

SuperScott

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 11:08 pm
I agree with eoe. When you succeed, you can verify that whatever you did you did correctly. Either that or you were just lucky.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 11:59 am
I think it's a combination of luck and doing stuff correctly - most of the time.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 12:08 pm
SuperScott wrote:
I agree with eoe. When you succeed, you can verify that whatever you did you did correctly. Either that or you were just lucky.

How can you verify that you did something correctly by succeeding? Succeeding in this case is defined as doing something correctly. So you can't verify it.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 12:10 pm
fbaezer wrote:
Sure.

How did you know they were mistakes? They were only mistakes when you said they were mistakes.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 12:14 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
I think it's a combination of luck and doing stuff correctly - most of the time.

No activity is a combination of luck and doing things correctly. You are referring to an outcome.
0 Replies

SuperScott

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 12:33 pm
John Jones wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:

No activity is a combination of luck and doing things correctly. You are referring to an outcome.
Success is an outcome.
0 Replies

SuperScott

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 12:37 pm
suc·cess
n.

1. The achievement of something desired, planned, or attempted: attributed their success in business to hard work.

2. a. The gaining of fame or prosperity: an artist spoiled by success. b. The extent of such gain.

3. One that is successful: The plan was a success.

4. Obsolete A result or an outcome.
0 Replies

SuperScott

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 12:41 pm
John Jones wrote:
SuperScott wrote:

How can you verify that you did something correctly by succeeding? Succeeding in this case is defined as doing something correctly. So you can't verify it.

Perhaps "correctly" is not the proper word. Let me explain it another way. When you succeed at a certain task, you know that the procedure you used to come to this outcome will work if you need to succeed again at the same task.
0 Replies

C1eopatra

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 12:41 pm
I think "success" is a term that people throw around, but it's more of a condition than an endpoint, after all, you can be a success and have it disappear in a flash due to situations beyond your control.

Being a success teaches you how to be patient, and how to listen, and be efficient...which you need to continue to do in order to stay a success.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 01:04 pm
the lesson is...it's preferable to failure.
0 Replies