Christmas 2021 - How do you celebrate it?

Mame

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2021 06:27 pm
I just wanted to put a happy topic out there Smile There's so much negativity these days.

My husband is conventional and extremely fond of gifts so I start shopping on Dec 26th for the next year. I am done with all of that, as usual, so I can sit back with a mulled wine and relax.

We have invited a single friend of his for Christmas dinner. He's a great cook and loves food so I will have to really pull out all the stops but I'm looking forward to the challenge. It will NOT include any green beans.

Alex bought a 2.5' foot tall ceramic Santa a few years ago so we put that out by the front door along with a simple Happy Holidays sign for the door and that's the only decorating we do. So simple and fast Smile He always wants a tree but since he never put them up, decorated them or took them down, I gave them away.

And we don't even wrap our gifts Smile So it's minimalist at best, especially since I don't want any gifts. I did think about a dash cam, though. Last year I asked for a car starter and did get it - such a practical gift! Smile The day before he went to get it installed it had snowed 2 feet and it took him 45 minutes to get to the end of the block with half our neighbours pushing him so I really appreciated it.

Anyway, enough about me. What are your plans for this pandemic Christmas?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 433 • Replies: 8
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2021 08:14 pm
@Mame,
Breakfast at Denny's
Mame

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2021 08:54 pm
@roger,
Aww... it's been years since I've been to Denny's - I always had the Patty Melt but they don't serve it here anymore. I'd love to join you for a Christmas breakfast (whatever that consists of) at Denny's, Rog.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 Nov, 2021 10:47 pm
@roger,
After hurricane Ike we sat at home without electric or running water for weeks. We were able to borrow a shower at the apartments where I worked. When the electric came back we drove by a Denny's that had finally opened. We went back and had our first regular meal. It became kind of a go to place for a time because of that fond memory.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2021 07:41 am
@Mame,
I've still not settled on when I'll be heading to the cottage, but I'll be there perhaps as early as Boxing Day. Menus are still somewhere in the future but ours may include green beans! I love them steamed, then tossed in the pan with bacon and parmesan and butter toasted almonds.

Mrjoe insisted on a tree, and for the first time in my life it's up before December. Usually one goes up a week before Christmas and comes down two days after.

I cut all the greenery for my large outdoor planter yesterday, and woke up this morning to an inch of snow, the first of the year here. It's Sunday morning, the snow is falling and there's a fire in the grate. With the Christmas lights and a few other Christmasy things I'm getting the *feels*
jcboy

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2021 08:50 am
@Mame,
With three kids Christmas is a big deal at our house. I think I’ll make a prime rib and a few sides for dinner. The kids will give us their Christmas list and we will pick two items from the list, they don’t need more toys or clothes. So far all I know is that Antonio wants those wireless Bluetooth earbuds for his iPhone.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2021 10:06 am
Christmas still is special to me, but the kids have been gone for years. They are too wrapped in their own kids' Christmases, which is as it should be, so we will spend a quiet day at home.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 28 Nov, 2021 01:47 pm
@Joeblow,
I envy your fire in the grate. I can't use ours anymore because the tv rests on the hearth. It's snowed here a couple times but it didn't stick. Yesterday I bought ice melt for the inevitable and looking forward to using my new snow clearer (no, not Alex). I've told my neighbours they can help themselves to it, too.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 29 Nov, 2021 03:34 am
Same as last year, the four of us, plus friends.

I'm very happy in that I got something my for my dil which is unavailable in the shops.

We all get on very well, it will be a lot of fun.

My youngest, being autistic, is still very childlike and is especially looking forward to the Julia Donaldson cartoon on Christmas Day.

Julia Donaldson wrote The Gruffalo.
0 Replies