0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 04:12 pm
Doesn't.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 04:15 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Unfortunately Mr. Noddy is becoming more and more unpredictable as his mind frays. I can deal with the fraying mind--the real bitch is coping with his coping mechanisms.

Can you draw a picture of "D" for "Denial"?

Pain in the neck!

My mother was the sole care giver to my father for a long time. He suffered from progressive dementia associated with multiple myeloma. She started each day by sitting on the edge of her bed and breathing deeply for about 10 minutes. She tried to clear her mind of any thoughts associated with the coming day and just focus on her breathing. She repeated the exercise in the evening before going to bed, trying to put all events of the current day behind her. It's a milder, more passive form of the relaxation exercises posted above.

She also found that giving my father a high quality protein snack around 3:30 - 4:00 in the afternoon got him through his most disruptive time of the day which was late afternoon. She gave him half a peanut butter sandwich or some cheese and crackers. She described his angst as similar to was I saw with my babies during the 'colic hour' in the late afternoon. For some reason protein seemed to help.

How's your dominion holding?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 04:29 pm
J-B--

Inner dominion is fine--but my neck!

Fortunately this is a "good" television night and I have a guaranteed good escape novel.

Thanks for asking.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 04:50 pm
Yes, tis true that noddy is always helping others hold their dominions in place...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 06:11 pm
I haven't read up, but......

I had serious stiff necks and all-out spasms for years. I went to see a chiro (which I highly recommend) and he has been doing work (weening me off the visits over 8 months). But, I know it's not for everyone, chiropractics. He also gave me a book on how to stretch and strengthen trouble spots, including necks. The book is "a natural method of health care" by Louis Sportelli.

Stretches should never hurt. You should start slowly with thought and care. Don't push yourself. Stand straight and isolate the movements described. Hold each stretch for 10 seconds.These stretches include include:

1. Side Bending. Bend head to the right (try to touch your ear to your shoulder). Straighten head. And then bend to the left. Don't raise your shoulder to your ear. Sometimes I hold on to my pant-legs to help keep my shoulders level.

2. Flexion - Extension, Tuck chin towards chest. Straighten head. Reach head backwards as far as it can go. Again, don't hunch shoulders.

3. Neck Rotation. Turn head to right, try to look over shoulder. Return to center. Turn to left.

4. Lateral Bending. Lock hands behind head and bend to right from upper back. Stand straight. Bend to left. It's that stretch you do when you wake up. Try to reach upper elbow to the ceiling and the lower elbow to the floor. You're not supposed to bend at the waist or hips in this stretch. You feel it in the shoulder blades.

5. Chest Stretch. Lock hands behind back. Push hands down to the floor. Breth deep and look up at the ceiling while lifted onto toes. (hold this one for 3-5 seconds). I somehow missed this stretch, I have never done it. Oopsie.

Strength Exercizes help to keep neck from slipping back into unhealthy positions. All these should be held for 5 seconds. These include:

1. Flexion Isometric. Push both palms against your forhead while pushing forhead into hands.

2. Lateral Isometric. Put right hand to right side of head and push hand against head and vice versa. Then switch sides and do the left. Your head should be pushing in the ear-to-shoulder direction again. Switch to the left side.

3. Extension Isometric. Cup hands behind your head extend elbows out and push-pull trying to push your head backwards.

4. Rotation Isometric. Push right hand against right temple and try to turn your head right. Do the left side.

It has all the usual disclaimers - don't over-exert, stop if it feels badly, etc. I was told to do 3 repetitions of each exercise at least once a day.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 07:50 pm
littlek--

The exercises look like good ones for fitting here and there into a day.

Many thanks.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 07:52 pm
I only hope they help. I found the lateral bending and rotation isometric the most helpful for my problems.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 08:21 pm
Littlek--

I need pain free days and therefore feel perfectly guiltless about taking no-matter-what exercise time to get painfree.

Insisting on the private time will be helpful.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 08:28 pm
Noddy, I have a thing that is like a small pillow filled with buckwheat hulls. you put it in the microwave for a couple of minutes and then lay it around your neck. It really helps when my neck is stiff. I think it's called a Bed Buddy. I think I got it a Walgreens.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 10:03 am
Swimpy--

I got one for a daughter-in-law, scented with lavender and promptly forgot about it. The Buckwheat Yoke is going on my shopping list.

My neck is much better this morning and I'm continuing the exercise but dropping the painkillers. Mr. Noddy has a doctor's appointment this afternoon, so I'll be All Alone for several hours. Bliss.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 10:23 am
Take it easy, Noddy. You've earned the break.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 10:46 am
I'm glad to hear you're feeling a bit better. Enjoy your quiet time this afternoon, Noddy.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 10:50 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Unfortunately Mr. Noddy is becoming more and more unpredictable as his mind frays. I can deal with the fraying mind--the real bitch is coping with his coping mechanisms.

Can you draw a picture of "D" for "Denial"?

Pain in the neck!

in home help an option?
or will he deny that need?
You need a break before this breaks you..
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 04:20 pm
shewolf--

Mr. Noddy can still drive--although those days are coming to an end. I get out with friends at least once a week and have been escaping to visit friends in NYC every six weeks or so.

Further, I've always been able to crawl into a book.

Old age isn't for sissies.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 07:01 pm
Noddy ~

The most difficult stages for my mother was when my father was in the middle stages of his dementia. Sometimes he was aware of who she was and where he was and sometimes he wasn't. If Mr Noddy is still driving, he might be in the earlier stages and this could be premature, but at some point I made it a practice to call my Mom every night. I didn't know it at the time, but she later told me my daily check-ins were a life saver for her. Sometimes we talked about my father, sometimes we talked about a book we were both reading, but having someone call her every night to see how 'she' was doing made a big difference to her.

Beyond A2K, do you have a good support system for yourself?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 07:59 pm
Noddy - I'm glad your neck is feeling a bit better.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 07:59 pm
J_B--

Thank you for caring.

Right now I'm devoting imagination and craft to bolstering my local support system. The computer is wonderful--not only for A2K but for communicating with my scattered friends and family.

While I can still get away, I'm making visits to NYC. Life is not always as I would have it, but what I can control, I do.

As far as I can tell, Mr. Noddy is about one third along the road to nowhere. His doctors are more aware of his problems than he is. Seat belts are fastened--there's a long ride ahead.

Thank you for caring.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2005 08:13 pm
Littlek--

Thanks for the good wishes. A solitary afternoon was very soothing.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2005 07:33 am
Have any doctors been able to pinpoint a cause?
Is it just mild dementia? Alzheimers ? Or is it just amplified simple memory loss?
0 Replies