What we sense and what we percieve.

JLNobody

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 10:53 pm
True/false, in/out, up/down, hot/cold, good/bad, I/it (subject/object), beautiful/ugly, now/then, here/there, real/false, etc. (all oppositional dichotomies as absolutes)--including dualism/non-dualism.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 03:53 am
JLNobody wrote:
True/false, in/out, up/down, hot/cold, good/bad, I/it (subject/object), beautiful/ugly, now/then, here/there, real/false, etc. (all oppositional dichotomies as absolutes)--including dualism/non-dualism.

I can't say two things are opposites except by placing them in a common framework. And if there is a common ground or framework then I can't say there is a dualism.
Dualism is not 'two things'.
0 Replies

val

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 04:36 am
John Jones

Quote:
Dualism has said that there are two 'substances' in the world, like mind and matter.
But like 'subjective, objective', I have no reason whatever to consider them as related or opposed. There is simply no common ground. So on what basis do I count two and say "here is 'dualism'?

But why must you consider them as opposed? Dualism in Descartes does only mean that there is a substance named "soul" that is not physical - by that he intended "extension" - and another substance, the "body" that was physical (extension).
They are not opposed but different. And, this is the main point, they are all that exists.
The problem with this dualism is in the fact that it was not enough to Descartes. He wanted to discover how did the soul interact with the body. And there starts the problem: in order to have interaction we must find a common framework. He couldn't solve the problem (in my opinion there is no solution, because the problem in itself is false).
As you say, two different things do not make dualism. But if those two different things represent all that is and exists, and if they have different nature, then we have the cartesian dualism.

Objective and subjective, in my point of view, have nothing to do with that kind of dualism. They only represent two different perspectives about a consensual reality.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 04:51 am
John, dualism is not "two things". You're right. It is one thing from two sides. JL listed a bunch of good examples. Things we know in relation to their oposites. And it is not an absolute truth, this dualism. It is merely a tool to help us understand what we see. You yourself have applied it skillfully in your objections.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 08:59 am
val wrote:
John Jones

Quote:
Dualism has said that there are two 'substances' in the world, like mind and matter.
But like 'subjective, objective', I have no reason whatever to consider them as related or opposed. There is simply no common ground. So on what basis do I count two and say "here is 'dualism'?

But why must you consider them as opposed? Dualism in Descartes does only mean that there is a substance named "soul" that is not physical - by that he intended "extension" - and another substance, the "body" that was physical (extension).
They are not opposed but different. And, this is the main point, they are all that exists.
The problem with this dualism is in the fact that it was not enough to Descartes. He wanted to discover how did the soul interact with the body. And there starts the problem: in order to have interaction we must find a common framework. He couldn't solve the problem (in my opinion there is no solution, because the problem in itself is false).
As you say, two different things do not make dualism. But if those two different things represent all that is and exists, and if they have different nature, then we have the cartesian dualism.

Objective and subjective, in my point of view, have nothing to do with that kind of dualism. They only represent two different perspectives about a consensual reality.

This topic might be better pursued in the new one I started. Anyway, to repeat two points made in that new thread: we cannot count the things of dualism as 'two things'; and two different perspectives of one thing describe monism and not dualism.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 09:01 am
Cyracuz wrote:
John, dualism is not "two things". You're right. It is one thing from two sides. JL listed a bunch of good examples. Things we know in relation to their oposites. And it is not an absolute truth, this dualism. It is merely a tool to help us understand what we see. You yourself have applied it skillfully in your objections.

Again, as in the new thread, I say you are describing monism. There is also a problem of saying two things are opposites, for that requires a third thing.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 12:27 pm
I could have included, of course, mind/brain, spirit/matter, and the fantasy, natural/supernatural, but what matters here is that we generally think in terms of opposites, if only tacitly. Up, implies down, right left, good bad, natural supernatural and so forth. But reality is far too subtle for that, if our goal is to appreciate experience, and not just to use language in its conventional ways for its utilitarian functions, we must see things more in their non-dualistic, precognized uniqueness. I do not say "grey"s because that implies black and white. Perhaps grey is John's "third thing"?
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 12:33 pm
JLNobody wrote:
I could have included, of course, mind/brain, spirit/matter, and the fantasy, natural/supernatural, but what matters here is that we generally think in terms of opposites, if only tacitly. Up, implies down, right left, good bad, natural supernatural and so forth. But reality is far too subtle for that, if our goal is to appreciate experience, and not just to use language in its conventional ways for its utilitarian functions, we must see things more in their non-dualistic, precognized uniqueness. I do not say "grey"s because that implies black and white. Perhaps grey is John's "third thing"?

'Opposites' are at either end of a scale marked out on one parameter, object or substance. As such they cannot represent dualism.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 12:47 pm
Sure they can. Aren't we talking about how people organize their experience dualistically? Your single scale is ontological. We are talking about epistemology: how people construe their lives--I agree that opposites have no reality apart from our thinking. The topic of this thread has to do with how we sense/perceive the world. Dualism has to do with our seeing the world IN TERMS OF our thinking, in terms of the conceptual grids we impose upon, and thereby shape, our experience. I agree that opposites do not exist in the world, other than in our heads.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 01:10 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Sure they can. Aren't we talking about how people organize their experience dualistically? Your single scale is ontological. We are talking about epistemology: how people construe their lives--I agree that opposites have no reality apart from our thinking. The topic of this thread has to do with how we sense/perceive the world. Dualism has to do with our seeing the world IN TERMS OF our thinking, in terms of the conceptual grids we impose upon, and thereby shape, our experience. I agree that opposites do not exist in the world, other than in our heads.

I do not need to refer to what is real, imaginary, true or false, to say that opposites are at either end of a scale made on one parameter or substance.

If you say that we see the world in terms of our thinking then you say that there is a hidden world substance and a thinking substance (or parameter). I can't see how these can be opposites if one thing is hidden. I also can't see, as per my point, how we can say that there are two things if they have no relationship. If there is a relationship then we can say that there are two things. In that case, these two things are not independent substances but are aspects of one thing - that is, they are at opposite ends of a scale marked out on one parameter: and that is monism.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 02:21 pm
A strange notion of monism, indeed. If up is defined with reference to down, or mind with matter, supernatural with natural, there is a dualism of RELATIONS between "complementary opposites." I do see what you mean, however, when you say that the mutually defining 'opposites" are aspects of one thing/parameter. But that in no way contradicts the fact that, epistemologically, people use the two ends of a single scale dualistically, and that this distorts their actual experience.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 02:57 pm
John, I hope I am not distorting your position; I hate to fight strawmen. But it seems to me that your many parameters: direction (up vs down), temperature (hot vs. cold), morality (good vs. bad), etc. represent the denizens of a multiplicity. This is not monism, of course. It DOES, however, make clear the fact that dualism refers to how people think, not how the world is constituted. Monism is a model of co-existence and co-origination, of a reality in which all is interdependent within a single network of aspects, like the facets of a unitary diamond. The Hindus' metaphor is Indra's Net, a network in which all is co-dependent, wherein everything takes its nature (and meaning) from its place within the whole. By the way, part-whole is another dichotomy (i.e., dualism) that I have not been able to avoid here. This shows how we (or at least I) cannot talk and think non-dualistically. Dualism is as pragmatically essential to our social and intellectual functioning as it is false as a true depiction of reality.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 03:31 pm
John, you say that "There is also a problem of saying two things are opposites, for that requires a third thing." What is that? Are you referring to a thinker?
Related to that, you also say that "If you say that we see the world in terms of our thinking then you say that there is a hidden world substance and a thinking substance (or parameter)." I'm lost here. Are you taking the position of absolute idealism, that there is only thought "in here" or only a material world "out there" (or Kant's dichotomy of the noumena and phenomena)? I can only surmise that you are at least advocating a true monism, a unity of the subjective and objective. But we cannot say much along that line--to talk about that unity requires the use of dualistic lingistic tools.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 05:36 pm
JLNobody wrote:
John, you say that "There is also a problem of saying two things are opposites, for that requires a third thing." What is that? Are you referring to a thinker?
Related to that, you also say that "If you say that we see the world in terms of our thinking then you say that there is a hidden world substance and a thinking substance (or parameter)." I'm lost here. Are you taking the position of absolute idealism, that there is only thought "in here" or only a material world "out there" (or Kant's dichotomy of the noumena and phenomena)? I can only surmise that you are at least advocating a true monism, a unity of the subjective and objective. But we cannot say much along that line--to talk about that unity requires the use of dualistic lingistic tools.

I can't easily see what you are replying to. Put my quote in.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 05:45 pm
JLNobody wrote:

If you say that there is a world that we think about and that that world is hidden, then how can I say that that world and my thinking about it are opposites? If one thing is hidden, and the other thing is known, then how can we say they are opposite each other?

A third thing? Yes, the third thing is the thing that brings the two things together so that they can be seen as dissimilar. Things are only similar or dissimilar according to a third thing. That third thing may be their hidden parameter. For example, the hidden parameter invoked when we say that black and white are opposites, is light. And light is a monism in this example.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 06:35 pm
John, I'm not following you. And I DID quote you.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 04:36 am
John Jones wrote:
JLNobody wrote:

If you say that there is a world that we think about and that that world is hidden, then how can I say that that world and my thinking about it are opposites? If one thing is hidden, and the other thing is known, then how can we say they are opposite each other?

A third thing? Yes, the third thing is the thing that brings the two things together so that they can be seen as dissimilar. Things are only similar or dissimilar according to a third thing. That third thing may be their hidden parameter. For example, the hidden parameter invoked when we say that black and white are opposites, is light. And light is a monism in this example.

I can't find the place where you said something like 'we see the world in terms of our thoughts'. Also, you gave replies without quoting and I get mixed up as to what you are referring or replying to. Anyway. if we see the world, then the 'if the 'real' world remains hoidden I can't see how the perceived world and the real world can be opposites. If one thing is known, and the other thing not known, I can't say that they are opposites.

It would be difficult to classify the whole world dualistically. First, I have no need to make objects out of the world, it could remain undifferentiated and I could still make a cup of tea in it. Second, what are oppisites in one context are similar in another; and some things have no opposites, like a red ball.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 01:38 pm
John, I agree with your last paragraph completely. Our experience of the world has two dimensions, (1) immediate experience, e.g., Northrup's "undifferentiated aesthetic continuum," and (2) culturallly consituted experience, e.g., Northrup's "differentiated aesthetic continuum"). The latter is our world of cooked experience, in which we see the world as composed of classes of things, properties and events; the former is our life of raw experience which underlies the first. The undifferentiated aesthestic continuum is not "hidden"--I'm surprised I gave that impression to you. It is just unprocessed, or preprocessed. It is just pre-cognitive, not yet meaningful in an explicit sense, not yet seen "in terms of our thoughts" (categories, models, values, etc.)
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 01:57 pm
By the way, I do think that ultimately we need not see the world in terms of opposites--that is the state of zen or yogi "enlightenment." But we do use opposites in much of our cognitive relations with others. All moral utterances imply good vs bad, all directional utterances imply up-down, north-south, etc. etc. The task is to recognize the artificiality of such contrasts. They are useful but not absolutes.
A red ball does not imply a green ball, even though red and green are opposites on the artist's color wheel. You are right. If EVERY property had an opposite I would then suspect that dualism is natural and necessary, rather than artificial and useful.
Regarding direction: when I point to an eagle flying overhead, I may not be referring to up-ness, with its implication of down-ness. That is an example of immediate or direct experience (which is why zen masters tend to point rather than speak when making a zen-point to a student). When I say "there is something above us", I am tacitly referring to the opposite of "below us". That is an example of dualistic communication (which is why zen masters tend not to speak when making a point to a student).
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 02:35 pm
JLNobody wrote:
John, I agree with your last paragraph completely. Our experience of the world has two dimensions, (1) immediate experience, e.g., Northrup's "undifferentiated aesthetic continuum," and (2) culturallly consituted experience, e.g., Northrup's "differentiated aesthetic continuum"). The latter is our world of cooked experience, in which we see the world as composed of classes of things, properties and events; the former is our life of raw experience which underlies the first. The undifferentiated aesthestic continuum is not "hidden"--I'm surprised I gave that impression to you. It is just unprocessed, or preprocessed. It is just pre-cognitive, not yet meaningful in an explicit sense, not yet seen "in terms of our thoughts" (categories, models, values, etc.)

The world of objects, I would say, is not seen but a list of descriptions. I don't think that that bumps it up to the status of being another way of 'viewing' the world.

I thought you said somewhere that the world we know is a world of experience, and that the world 'as it really is' is not known or experienced.
0 Replies