Caring about others

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 07:52 pm
CerealKiller, Interesting subject; I agree with Chai Tea. I travel quite frequently to various destinations around the world, and often get the opportunity to visit grade school where supplies are rare or non-existent. I usually bring a handful of supplies with me to give to the head master or teacher to share witht the children. I have even sent supplies and money upon returning home. In Zimbabwe we gave money to a village school, where $2 will allow a child to attend school for a whole month. The problem about sending school supplies is the shipping cost. Now is the season where all the department and office supply stores has sales on school supplies, and can get some great bargains. A couple of years ago, I sent some supplies to Tanzania, but the shipping cost was almost $50.00 for supplies that cost me less than $20.

As for family, all my siblings have done well, and they are not in need of any assistance. My sister is not doing too well, but her son, a dentist, will take care of all her needs.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 07:00 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
"Because with a complete stranger there is a chance they are not going to treat you as an outcast, a pariah, as you are the only one who speaks the truth about living as a terrorized hostage during the most formative years of your life."

Our situation is somewhat different in that all my siblings have done relatively well financially. I've always been the "pariah" of our family, because they are all christians and republicans, while I am an atheist and independent. They treat me well, however. Wink They all attended my 70th birthday party earlier this month.

hmmmmm, since you don't know my or my families financial status, I'm not sure how you can say that. Confused

also I didn't mention religious belief or politics.

I'm Curious. How did you come by this opinion cicerone?
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 11:39 am
The more I see of the hurricane refugees the more I think we really don't care about strangers more than we empathize and sympathize for their situation.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 11:55 am
Re: Caring about others
CerealKiller wrote:
Do people genuinely care about other people they don't know ?

For example: How can you care about someone you've never met, whether they live in a foreign country or next door ?

Is it even possible, or do we just empathize or sympathize with other peoples situations ?

I think it is easier to 'blindly' care for someone when they are strangers because you dont know a thing about their background.
Wether or not we like to admit it, people in general are judgemental.
When you have nothing to judge , simple feelings are easier. Acts of kindness give you pleasure .
with your own family, even when to DO give to them, you still have that nagging " what if-" going on in your head that takes away from the immediate pleasure of giving.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 11:58 am
CerealKiller wrote:
The more I see of the hurricane refugees the more I think we really don't care about strangers more than we empathize and sympathize for their situation.

My opinion is that most people really try hard to care, and share with others. Be it inspired by their religion or just who they are. But, in certain situations, self preservation takes over the human animal, and they may seem like they don't care.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 03:28 pm
All please send a cheque to show me that you care, for at least £20 to J I Jones, Barclays Ac. No. 52436722 sort code 5412, UK.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 03:29 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 03:51 pm
CerealKiller wrote:
Do people genuinely care about other people they don't know ?

For example: How can you care about someone you've never met, whether they live in a foreign country or next door ?

Is it even possible, or do we just empathize or sympathize with other peoples situations ?

It is far easier to care about people you don't know in general and empathize with their situations, because, most of the people whom you do know will take advantage of your caring nature or soft heart for their own personal gain.

The world is full of users and abusers with their sob stories and their hands out--and when you stop giving to them in terms of time, money, energy, empathy, compassion, etc., (because you finally learned your lesson)--they turn ugly.

It's a real eye-opener when you realize that people you truly cared about and who you though were your friends would slit your throat over five bucks (or whatever). It breaks my heart repeatedly, but MOST people you encounter in life are out for themselves. You can give, give, and give to them because you care about them . . . but as soon as you stop giving . . . they have no use for you anymore . . . and they become downright mean.
0 Replies

bloodcam2000

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 01:38 am
in buddhism, there are methods intended in whole or in partl to develop or awaken compassion for others, and the self.

I believe it is possible to love and care for everybody, to get a sense of non egotistical satisfaction from giving even to strangers. ihave experienced satisfaction from those things.
0 Replies

Xiuhcoati

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 06:15 pm
I think it really depends on the person. Some people can, some people can't. I am one of those people who takes two water bottles to the gym, one for me and one in case someone else needs it. I don't know if you'd define it as 'caring' but it makes other people happy, and relieves an unnecessary pain in life. That doesn't make me go out, stop the first person I see and say "I CARE about you...hug me!" I guess you have to define care.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 6 Oct, 2005 06:22 pm
Did I say I can see and feel the caring?
0 Replies