Olympics in Tokyo

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2021 12:45 pm
I just watched the Ukranian swim team and now Japan's team is performing. It's very athletic, seems to focus on feats of strength. Commentators were showering praise on the Ukrainians for their routine, but it looks a little scary to me. I'm impressed by the skill level but I can't really say that this particular sport was enjoyable to me. The Russians are up now, also very strong but the music sounds like the soundtrack from Metropolis.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 775 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Mame

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2021 01:21 pm
@glitterbag,
How could swimming be scary?
glitterbag

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2021 01:32 pm
@Mame,
You have to see this, it's like something out of a nightmare. It's a little like synchronized swimming with 9 women preforming all sorts of quick robotic moves with frozen smiles and bright red lipstick. You have to see it. It's very athletic, these women are crazy strong but the routine seemed a little threatening, like a haka performed by women in the water.
Mame

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2021 01:43 pm
@glitterbag,
Oh, it's the new "artistic swimming", which used to be synchronized. I will catch it on youtube.

You're funny.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2021 01:45 pm
@glitterbag,
I can't find the video of the event I just watched, but it's called artistic swimming. I was able to find a few still photos but none of them seem to capture the routine I watched.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2021 02:03 pm
@glitterbag,
I watched the Japanese team and see what you mean. The whole way through I was chuckling at your remarks. It's just a different style - more aggressive than they used to be. But I love the precision.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2021 02:06 pm
@Mame,
The Japanese team was ladylike and refined compared to the Ukrainian team. The water was churning like a shark feeding frenzy erupted.
Mame

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2021 01:04 pm
@glitterbag,
Well, I have since watched several more - Canada, Ukraine, Russia and China. My favourite was the Chinese swimmers. Just beautiful artistry.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2021 07:38 pm
@glitterbag,
I watched this quite by accident. I had the sound off and thought it was hysterical and quite bizarre. When they broadcast the camera angle below and above the water at same time I was both mesmerized and thunderstruck. Who thinks this **** up?!
glitterbag

Reply Sun 8 Aug, 2021 08:07 pm
@Ragman,
I wish I had watched it with the sound off, that's hysterical. The music was punishing, but I guess it suited the routine.
0 Replies