CMON MR CUOMO

blatham

Tue 10 Aug, 2021 10:33 am
So, Cuomo just resigned.
edgarblythe

Tue 10 Aug, 2021 10:47 am
@blatham,
I was off in my prediction by four days.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Tue 10 Aug, 2021 10:51 am
@blatham,
I am focusing on the United States. Get this one to function and many of the others are likely to follow suit.
blatham

Tue 10 Aug, 2021 11:30 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
I am focusing on the United States. Get this one to function and many of the others are likely to follow suit.
The US is no longer a role model to the world except perhaps for some emerging democracies - but that would be a prior version of America (or a romanticized version of earlier America). The better hope is that the US moves to follow examples set by many other current western world nations.
Frank Apisa

Tue 10 Aug, 2021 11:41 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
The US is no longer a role model to the world except perhaps for some emerging democracies - but that would be a prior version of America (or a romanticized version of earlier America). The better hope is that the US moves to follow examples set by many other current western world nations.

Such as???
Mame

Tue 10 Aug, 2021 11:50 am
@Frank Apisa,
I'll jump in here Smile well, gun control, for one. Abortion rights for women, for two. Equitable and expanded opportunity for voting, for three.

And I don't know why you can't simplify and shorten your election process... why all these primaries? Just pick a damn day and everybody goes to vote.
engineer

Tue 10 Aug, 2021 11:54 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

So, Cuomo just resigned.

And blamed politics and Twitter while taking no responsibility for his actions.
maxdancona

Tue 10 Aug, 2021 11:55 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

I'll jump in here Smile well, gun control, for one. Abortion rights for women, for two. Equitable and expanded opportunity for voting, for three.

And I don't know why you can't simplify and shorten your election process... why all these primaries? Just pick a damn day and everybody goes to vote.

This is an interesting response. Democracy is the process, not the results. Any dictator can ensure a woman's right to have an abortion. In any reasonable definition of democracy broad popular support for the right to own assault weapons would lead to the right to own assault weapons.

I think many countries, the ability to squelch minority opinions (such as the belief in the right to have a gun) is confused with democracy.

I don't think there is any country that protects freedom of expression more than the US. To me, that is at the core of democracy.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Tue 10 Aug, 2021 12:07 pm
@blatham,
We have to break the hold of the military/industrial, corral our secret agencies, reform and demilitarize the police, ensure voting rights, do a real infrastructure program, enact a pandemic response that makes sense, restore the lost gains of the New Deal and consummate the rest of Roosevelt's plan - for starters. We don't need other models just a mirror and a microscope.
Frank Apisa

Tue 10 Aug, 2021 12:24 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Thanks, Mame...and I agree that the issues you mentioned could be handled better.

But I was asking for examples of countries governing effectively...not issues.
edgarblythe

Tue 10 Aug, 2021 12:45 pm
Andy Borowitz
ยท
New Yorkers Hopeful That Resignation Means Cuomo Will Stop Talking
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 10 Aug, 2021 12:49 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Such as???
New Zealand, Canada, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Switzerland, the Netherlands.
blatham

Tue 10 Aug, 2021 12:50 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
And blamed politics and Twitter while taking no responsibility for his actions.
We knew he was that type. But he's soon gone and that's the more important thing.
0 Replies

Mame

Tue 10 Aug, 2021 12:50 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Oh, thanks, Frank. Well, what about Canada? One day elections, gun control, free abortions, and expanded voting Smile That's a good example. Not to mention universal health care that's pretty damn good. We also have laws that cap election spending and how much corporations can contribute.

It's not all roses up here, but it has its benefits.
blatham

Tue 10 Aug, 2021 12:58 pm
@edgarblythe,
I have no great disagreement with the corrections you suggest, but...

Quote:
We don't need other models
Do I detect a whiff of American Exceptionalism here? You have no problem with other nations taking cues on democratic governance from the US. Why shouldn't America take cues from other nations' systems?
blatham

Tue 10 Aug, 2021 01:01 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
It's not all roses up here, but it has its benefits.
Indeed. And we could be improved through borrowing from other nations. Finland's education system, for example.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Tue 10 Aug, 2021 01:11 pm
There seems to be a real confusion here between democracy and a laundry list of politically left ideological positions.

Can someone please explain to me why democracy is guaranteed to support abortion rights, and outlaw gun rights?

(I always thought that democracy had something to do with the will of the people and all that).
glitterbag

Tue 10 Aug, 2021 01:24 pm
It must be an irresistible compulsion, that's the only thing that makes sense.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Tue 10 Aug, 2021 01:43 pm
I am defining the term "democracy" to be the ability of people who are outside of the ruling political class to express their ideas. Canada is a country where the ruling political ideology has a pretty strong grip on media culture and the voting system even though many Canadians feel left out. Canada has a censorship problem.

I would ask, in this context, is there any country that protects the freedom of expression for political minorities better than the US?

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Tue 10 Aug, 2021 01:47 pm
@blatham,
I don't mind taking cues from others. I just think charging me with that is an effort to deflect from my positions.

1. Forums
  2. » CMON MR CUOMO
  3. » Page 6
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/17/2024 at 06:12:37