Mouse Driver Problem

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 04:46 am
Computer: Toshiba Satellite 3000 (laptop)
Operating System: Windows ME

A few weeks ago, I had some problems with my mouse pointer. It would start going down, down, down and would never come back up, specifically after touching the little joystick-like mouse called an Accupoint II in the centre of the keyboard or any of the keys around it.

I tried disabling it, so that my USB mouse would work perfectly.

Then getting fed of up of not being able to use the inbuilt mouse, I then went to the Device Manager and deleted the mouse driver and restarted. The driver came back up, but then, suddenly, the Accupoint II stopped working.

I've been using my cheap USB mouse ever since.

However, now the mouse pointer takes on a life of its own. Instead of whizzing down to the very bottom, it whizzes to the extremes of the screen, sometimes going left, other times going right or up or down and sometimes whizzing up and down erratically.

More often than not, the mouse pointer acts as if I've got the left button held down or as if I keep repeatedly pressing the right button, all whilst the mouse pointer moves randomly.

It can't be the mouse, because even after removing the mouse and hence removing its driver, the mouse pointer eventually went on its bizarre rampage.

Luckily it doesn't happen at the very beginning, but only when the laptop's been on for some time.

My laptop is not connected to the Internet. I've scanned it once with updated Avast! Antivirus software and come up with nothing.

Would somebody please help me?

I have a sneaking suspicion that it might be a driver problem, but where can I find the appropriate drivers online?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 710 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 06:14 am
It sound like it could be a hardware problem. To get the latest drivers you could go to toshiba.com
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 06:39 am
Intrepid wrote:
It sound like it could be a hardware problem. To get the latest drivers you could go to toshiba.com

Oh no... not Toshiba.com.

Seriously, navigating their website in search for drivers is like looking for a needle in a haystack. They seem more keen on advertising new products on their site than providing drivers for a guy who can't find the original master CD.

Oh and hardware problem?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 06:40 pm
Sounds to me like a keyboard failure - not an uncommon problem. I'd recommend you haul the machine in to a reputable independent repair facillity, or dig one up through a web search. If you go the websearch route, check reviews and comments before trusting your machine or money to somebody at the other end of a post office box. There are some very reputable, reliable repair firms out there, with good ratings and reviews, several of which specialize in laptops/notebooks. Do your research first, though.

Typically, laptop keyboard replacement runs under $200 US.
0 Replies