Headlines from your part of the world

Mame

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2021 12:38 pm
Victoria statue of Captain Cook pulled down, thrown into harbour (July 2/21)

Tenant shoots himself while allegedly trying to scare landlord: Montreal police
7 hr ago

Can't enter Canada now? Don't try on Monday, border agency warns would-be travellers - 1 hour ago

Man with Alzheimer's marries wife for the second time
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 12 • Views: 1,741 • Replies: 76
No top replies

Mame

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2021 12:44 pm
Montreal single mother refused housing because she has 4 children
Mame

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2021 01:03 pm
@Mame,
Toronto nurse told by condominium to get rid of her dog because it weighs too much

Meet the Montreal cyclist who moved his entire apartment using only a bike

0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2021 05:44 pm
c'mon - i'm sure everyone somewhere has something weird... it's just not Canada... is it? lol
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2021 04:31 am
Over here there’s only one story, the football.

England play Ukraine in the quarter final of the European Cup later on today, and there are red and white flags all over the place.
Joeblow

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2021 08:26 am
@izzythepush,
https://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/ts/opinion/contributors/2021/07/02/in-defence-of-soccer-football-really-the-ballet-of-the-working-class.html

One day ago...
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2021 09:17 am
@Mame,
What was wrong with Captain Cook? Too many pigeons crapped on him and they couldn’t renovate?

[Edit: yikes I just read why they tore it down. What a POS.]

I saw that story about the Alzheimer’s patient who remarried his own wife. Touching but so sad. My own sister died of it so I understand the dynamics a bit too well.
hightor

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2021 11:56 am
They told the trooper that they were traveling from Rhode Island to Maine for "training."

Quote:
Nine people in a “heavily armed” group which “does not recognize our laws” were arrested early Saturday after a standoff with state police in Massachusetts which shut down I-95, according to reports.

“We have several armed persons accounted for at this scene on Rt 95. They are refusing to comply with orders to provide their information and put down their weapons,” the Massachusetts State Police said on Twitter.

Shelter-in-place orders were issued in the communities of Wakefield and Reading, just north of Boston, during the ordeal, NBC 10 reported.

A state trooper found the men in a breakdown lane on the side of the interstate refueling their vehicles around 1:30 a.m. Massachusetts State Police Colonel Christopher Mason told reporters. The occupants of the vehicle were dressed in military-style tactical gear. Some had long rifles, some side pistols, he said, according to reports.

“We were afraid so we got out with our arms,” one man allegedly from the group, called Rise of the Moors, said in a YouTube video, while dressed in what appeared to be combat gear.The men are allegedly from a fringe group called “Rise of the Moors.”

The nature of the group is unclear as police continue to investigate.

“We’re not anti-government, we’re not anti-police. We’re not sovereign citizens, we’re not black identity extremists,” the man in the video said. “We haven’t violated any laws.”

The men claim “to be from a group that does not recognize our laws,” the Wakefield Police Department said in a statement. “No threats were made, but these men should be considered armed and dangerous.”

The standoff shutdown a section of Interstate 95 near Wakefield, Mass.

The FBI Boston Division told reporters it is “fully engaged” with its state and local partners, but said it had no further comment on the situation given that it is still ongoing.

By 10:30 a.m., state police said it had arrested nine people and were conducting searches of their vehicles and the nearby woods.

Mame

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2021 12:05 pm
@Ragman,
The wife was interviewed and it was a very touching story. He's so young to have Alzheimer's.

You just never know what tomorrow holds.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2021 12:06 pm
@hightor,
Training for what? There's some seriously unbalanced people in this world.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2021 12:36 pm
@Mame,
Over the last 3 days we have had horrible news. Thursday morning the headline was Mother of Mid-shipman shot and killed in down town Annapolis. the Mom and Dad had come up from Houston because their son was going to start his first year at the Academy. She was shot on the patio of the hotel room and no one knows where the shots came from. Her room shouldn't have been visible from the street plus there was heavy shrubbery but she was shot 4 times. Then last night a former co-worker of ours sent us an email that his nephew had been shot and killed in Washington D.C. as he and his wife were leaving a restaurant on 14th Street. He was hit by stray bullets fired by groups shooting at each other.

I'm only about 10 minutes from the Naval Academy and about 40 minutes from D.C......It's all so depressing and nuts.

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2021 12:40 pm
The local news is practically all shootings and car wrecks. Too depressing to share.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2021 02:48 pm
@glitterbag,
I read about the young man's mother - she was only there to see him inducted, I believe. And that's sad about the fellow win Washington.

Last night there was a house fire in Chestermere about 30 minutes from here. A man was visiting his brother with his wife and children. The brother got his 4 kids out but the others all perished. The brother, the two wives and 3 kids.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2021 04:34 pm
Cuyahoga Falls Pays Tribute to Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips, Only One Left in the Country

https://www.wksu.org/economy/2021-06-30/cuyahoga-falls-pays-tribute-to-arthur-treachers-fish-chips-only-one-left-in-the-country
Mame

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2021 05:50 pm
@neptuneblue,
That's cool except only one left. I believe I've eaten at one of those on one of my journeys south.
0 Replies

MrPerfect221

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2021 02:00 am
@Mame,
One time the guy from the bus told people to get off because he needed to pray
UK
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2021 06:04 am
Quote:
Long overdue books returned to Massachusetts library

A Massachusetts man has returned long overdue books that were checked out
in the 1920s and 1930s to the Somerville Public Library.

Bob Alvarez, 63, found the books in the basement of his Methuen home in a
wooden box, The Boston Globe reported on Thursday.

The books were stored in a wooden box in the attic of the family’s Somerville
home until it was sold in 2010. Alvarez moved the box and other items into his
basement and never examined the contents until June.

The books belonged to his late aunt, Helen Godimis, who died in 1937 at the
age of 16 from the flu, the newspaper reported.

She left behind 39 books. Some of them were from Somerville schools, some
from the library and others were apparently from his aunt’s personal collection.
The oldest books had copyrights from the 19th century.

When he found the books, Alvarez contacted the library, saying “I’ve got some
overdue books, am I talking to the right people?”

Alvarez will not be charged late fees as the library stopped charging the fees
as of July 1.

Some of the returned books are currently on display at the West Branch of the
library with a note explaining how the books made their way back decades after
they were checked out.
(masslivemasslive)
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2021 06:30 am
Still football over here after “thrashing” Ukraine all talk is about the semi final against Denmark on Wednesday.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2021 08:01 am
Survivors of Lytton, B.C. wildfire grapple with a new reality: most of their town is gone

Montreal Children's Hospital successfully re-attach infant's esophagus using magnets

7-year-old OK after stealing dad's vehicle, crashing it down the road: officials
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2021 03:12 pm
This isn't from my part of the world, but it struck me as odd - who would even want to know?

A Closer Look at the Colon Condition That Hospitalized the Pope
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Headlines from your part of the world
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 06:54:25