Headlines from your part of the world

Mame

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2021 09:27 am
@Mame,
This isn't from my part of the world, but...

3 Aug 2021
It has not stopped raining for more than a week in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh, home to more than 900,000 Rohingya living in the world’s largest refugee camp.

In three days last week, the region saw more rainfall than in the last 20 years. All that water came down the steep hills facing the densely populated camps, causing flash floods and life-threatening landslides.

The floods damaged temporary shelters made of bamboo and tarpaulin and killed at least six refugees, three of them children. They also displaced more than 20,000 Rohingya.

https://www.aljazeera.com/gallery/2021/8/3/through-refugee-eyes-fatal-floods-in-bangladeshs-rohingya-camps
Mame

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2021 09:31 am
@Mame,
Another flood:

Zhengzhou, home to 12 million people, saw a year’s worth of rain in just three days and residents found themselves trapped in underground train carriages, car parks and road tunnels by the swiftly rising waters.

Mayor Hou Hong told reporters that 39 bodies had been recovered from underground car parks and other areas in basements. Some 14 people died on Line 5 of the city’s subterranean train network where images and videos shared on social media showed people standing neck-deep in water as their carriage was inundated.

Some 617.1 millimetres (24.3 inches) of rain fell on Zhengzhou over three days from July 17, nearly equivalent to the city’s annual average of 640.8mm (25.2 inches).

Experts say extreme weather events, including severe floods and drought, will become increasingly common as a result of climate change.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/8/3/death-toll-in-chinas-henan-floods-triples-to-302-dozens-missing

0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 16 Aug, 2021 05:17 pm

https://iili.io/R5e7vn.jpg
Virginia Oliver tossed back an undersized lobster as she and her son, Max, hauled traps together

‘It’s not hard work for me’:
At 101 years old, this Maine lobsterwoman still works the water

(today's Globe)
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2021 12:24 pm
This is getting scary - Canadian protesters getting angrier by the day

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/9/8/what-next-experts-in-canada-alarmed-by-anti-trudeau-protests
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2021 08:15 am
Boy, if you think you're having a bad life, read this. It could be a lot worse.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/14/us/alex-murdaugh-shooting-arrest.html
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 3 Oct, 2021 04:19 pm
We have a civic election coming Oct 18th. We have 28 (yes, 28!) candidates for Mayor, and about 90 people vying for 10 councillor positions. Most of us don't know most of the candidates and there haven't been many chances to get to know them and their positions. How does one hold a debate with 28 people and how long would that last - several hours? It's completely ridiculous.

Not long ago, our Conservative Party held an election for their party leader and there were 12 candidates. We thought THAT was ridiculous (and it was)... but 28 candidates for a city mayor? That's just bonkers.

I've just spent 2 hours reading about the 8 councillor candidates in my ward and the platforms of some of the mayoral candidates and I'm nowhere near done. I'm exhausted, but at least I've crossed off quite a few people.

Is it this crazy where you live?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2021 05:24 am

A mane event: Miniature horses help soothe students at Malden High School
(yesterday's globe)

https://iili.io/52aecJ.jpg
izzythepush

Reply Fri 8 Oct, 2021 05:44 am
@Region Philbis,
There is a little horse like that near us with a sign saying not to call the fire brigade because he hasn't sunk into the mud he's just a little horse.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 14 Oct, 2021 04:17 pm

Rare two-headed turtle found on Cape Cod
(globe)

https://iili.io/5quZhB.jpg
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 3 Nov, 2021 04:45 pm
Quote:
Michelle Wu wins historic Boston mayor’s race
https://iili.io/5cTM7a.jpg
Michelle Wu, the 36-year-old daughter of Taiwanese immigrants and a Boston Public
Schools mother who pitched a once parochial city on an unabashedly progressive agenda,
captured the Boston mayoralty by a wide margin on Tuesday, shattering barriers to mark
a new era in one of the nation’s most durable bastions of white male political power.

Wu declared victory Tuesday night as unofficial returns showed she had handily defeated
rival City Councilor Annissa Essaibi George, who ran a more moderate and traditional
campaign. Wu united supporters in progressive enclaves and communities of color to earn
a decisive share of the vote.

Wu is not only the first woman and first person of color elected mayor, but at 36, also the
youngest in nearly a century. She will be the city’s first mayor in over a century who was
not born and raised in Boston...
(today's globe)
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2021 05:24 pm
Quote:
Lightning strike causes tree to explode in Ashland MA
https://iili.io/5NKfCG.jpg
A crew boarded up damage to one of the Ashland Commons apartment buildings after a tree was hit by lightning and “exploded,”
damaging several apartments and parked vehicles during Saturday night’s storm

About eight to 10 people remained displaced from their homes in Ashland on Sunday after lightning struck a tree the previous evening, causing it to explode and damage nearby buildings and cars, officials said.

The tree was struck outside of Ashland Commons apartment complex on Presidents Row as a powerful storm knocked down trees and caused power outages across the region Saturday evening.

As of about 8:50 p.m. Saturday, nearly 8,700 customers were without power in Massachusetts, according to the Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency. By Sunday afternoon, that number had dropped to about two dozen, the agency reported.

Theresa Zimmerley said she was sitting by a window in her Ashland Commons home at around 6 p.m. when she heard thunder rolling in the distance. Then, out of nowhere, she heard a loud crack of thunder nearby followed by what sounded like an explosion.

“It was nothing I have ever heard before,” Zimmerley, 62, said in a telephone interview Sunday. “It actually hurt my ear.”

Her clock, pictures, and other items hanging on the walls fell off, Zimmerley said. “It sounded and looked like a bomb went off,” she said.

The lightning had struck a large pine tree, which “exploded into pieces doing damage to three residential apartment buildings and multiple vehicles in [the] parking lot,” Ashland Fire Chief Keith Robie wrote in an e-mail Saturday night.

“Miraculously, there were no injuries,” the Ashland Fire Department tweeted.
(today's globe)
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2021 12:42 pm
Mix of factors led to catastrophic flooding in B.C., meteorologist says

TORONTO -- A mix of record rainfall, melting snow and boosted freezing levels has led to catastrophic flooding in the British Columbia interior, according to an Environment Canada meteorologist.

Severe rainfall over the weekend and into Monday has forced several highways and streets to close, schools have been closed for the day and the entire city of Merritt, B.C., had to be evacuated due to the floodwaters.

“November is the wettest time of year here in the south coast, but this atmospheric river that’s come up has brought up moisture all the way from Hawaii,” Bobby Sekhon, meteorologist with Environment Canada, told CTV News Channel from Surrey, B.C.

~~~

According to a friend who lives there, every single road leading into Vancouver is closed. The major highways have had land and rock slides, trapping people in their cars overnight, and the Coquihalla (The Coq) caved in in one spot.

First the fires and drought, now the flooding and landslides. It's a major disaster. BC got 200 mm of rain in under 48 hours - that's equivalent to a normal November - and they're predicted to get more.
hightor

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2021 02:14 pm
@Mame,
I put a story about this up in the zombie thread – pretty scary.
Mame

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2021 03:33 pm
@hightor,
That looks like part of the Coquihalla - in fact, I'm sure it is. It's a major highway.

"The Coquihalla Highway, one of B.C.’s main highways connecting the Lower Mainland and the Interior, suffered catastrophic damage.

The southbound lanes between Larson Hill and Juliet have been washed into the river, provincial officials said."
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2021 04:15 pm

Mysterious boom heard in parts of Massachusetts
“We have absolutely no idea what it is"
(today's globe)
roger

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2021 04:30 pm
@Region Philbis,
Paywall
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2021 04:39 pm
@roger,
Quote:
For the second time in as many months, a mysterious boom has jolted residents in a small group of New England towns, this time in eastern and central Massachusetts, setting off a firestorm of speculation in community social media groups as to the cause of the noise.

Like with the last perplexing and jarring sound to shake this region, the clues are minimal.

Just after 10 p.m. Wednesday, residents of Stow and surrounding towns were unsettled by a sudden, deep-toned boom that rattled the walls and floors of their homes.

“All of a sudden I head this boom, I mean it was very loud, and I looked at my husband and said what the [expletive] was that,’’ said Lisa Marie Boyce, who lives in Maynard. “I was scared; it sounded like an explosion. We just had a house explode in Maynard a couple of months ago, so obviously that was my first inkling of what was going on.’’

As of late Thursday afternoon, 184 people had reported hearing the boom on an unofficial website that documents earthquakes and seismic activity.

Local police departments — in what appears to be a 20-mile radius in the area of Maynard, Stow, Acton, Ayer, Sudbury, and Bolton — investigated the noise after some were flooded with concerned reports about the noise. They turned up nothing.

“We have absolutely no idea what it is,’’ said a dispatcher at the Stow Police Department, which wrote on Facebook Wednesday night that officers were investigating the reports.

A firm explanation for the noise, described by some residents as the sound of an explosion or of a massive tree crashing to the ground, has yet to surface.

Joel Richman, who lives in Boxborough, was sitting in his downstairs office finishing up work for the night when the boom reverberated through his home, shaking the wire-strung photos on his walls and alarming his dog.

“The same pitch as thunder, but it starts with a really big rumble,’’ he recalled in a phone interview. “This was like a detonation and then it kept rumbling for another second or two. Like when a tank cannon goes off.’’

Hypotheses by residents are wide-ranging: a meteorite exploded in the atmosphere, a local earthquake, residual effects from an earthquake in Missouri, military fighter jets, demolitions at a local military base. The list goes on.

But most of those theories were dispelled by scientific agencies on Thursday.

A scientist at the US Geological Survey’s Earthquake Information Center said the agency had detected no seismic activity in the area Wednesday night. Their detecting equipment is very sensitive, he said, it couldn’t have been an earthquake.

Alan Dunham, a meteorologist at the National Weather Service’s Norton office had no clues either.

“We have no official reports about what was causing the loud booming in that area,’’ he said. “People thought it might’ve been an earthquake, but we’ve had no official notification of that. Really, I’ve got nothing for you.’’

He said no major weather systems were passing through the area at the time, indicating that thunder was an unlikely possibility.

What few clues exist are remarkably similar to those of a similar incident last month in New Hampshire: a booming noise, no seismic activity detected, and no storms in the area.

In that instance, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, the National Weather Service, and other experts said the noise was likely the result of a bolide, or meteor, entering the atmosphere.

Residents have wondered aloud if a meteor from the ongoing Leonid meteor shower broke into the Earth’s atmosphere above the region and exploded Wednesday, causing the noise.

Could that be what happened in these rural towns? Security footage from a home in Bolton that was shared on social media shows a bright flash briefly illuminating the cloudy sky shortly after 10 p.m. About 20 seconds later, a deep boom cracks through the night.

Meers Oppenheim, a professor of astronomy at Boston University, isn’t convinced.

The Leonid shower, he said, is comprised of low-density rocks from Comet Tempel-Tuttle that typically disintegrate in the atmosphere. However, asteroidal material can make it through the atmosphere and potentially generate a boom.

“Are we more likely to have a fireball during these showers that gets all the way to the Earth? Maybe a little,’’ he said. “The biggest objects can in fact make a sonic boom. But it takes a big object, not like one of these meteors.’’

He also says the timing of the boom, just 20 seconds after the flash of light was captured on video, further serves to dispel the theory. Those 20 seconds mean the source of the boom was about four miles from where the video was taken, he said, and bigger chunks of space material almost never implode that close to the planet’s surface.

“Usually they’re coming from 60 miles above the surface,’’ Oppenheim said. “That sounds more like lightning to me, something that’s within [four] miles of the observer.’’
roger

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2021 05:44 pm
@Region Philbis,
Thanks. I don't normally like very long quotes, but sometimes they're needed for just this reason.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2021 06:07 pm
Not so much a headline as something I heard about.

Some Americans have been criticising white British people on tick tock for putting on "Indian" accents.

They're not, they're Welsh accents.
Mame

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2021 06:16 pm
@izzythepush,
lol welsh is something else altogether. When I went there, I found a small booklet entitled "How to speak Welsh". So I went around town 'speaking Welsh' but nobody understood me. I finally realized I should have been 'speaking Welsh" with an English accent. Sure. lol

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 05:17:25