Return of Drive in Movies

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 07:06 pm
Well, a few miles down the road, a new screen is up, and the projection/snack center building is nearly complete. Plenty of earth movers are out there to make up the landscape. I hear that late September will be the opening date. No speakers to deal with; just tune in your own radio. Of course, Houston nights are extremely warm, so I question the sanity of such an endeavor.

However, I fondly recall a childhood in Fresno, CA, where we went to the Motor Inn drive in a couple of times a month. This back in the days of High Noon, Westward the Women, and From Here to Eternity. Fresno is in desert country, and we didn't mind the weather at all. Of course, nobody I knew owned an air conditioner either.

I'm very curious to see what kind of a crowd it attracts.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,923 • Replies: 46
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 06:57 am
Going to a drive in sounds like so much fun.

We always wore our pajamas on those glorious outings and, in my opinion, anywhere you can go in your pajamas is a-okay.

Even in soggy Oregon there are a few drive ins and I've been itching to seek one out.

I suppose the kind of crowd attracted will depend on the movie shown but I'll bet that the early feature will be full of families and the late feature full of teens.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 06:59 am
Not too far from me, there has been a drive in movie for many years. It bills itself as "family friendly". I have never gone there. I have not figured out how the patrons deal with the oppresive heat (and the bugs) in Florida, in the evening.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 05:27 pm
Exactly how I feel, Phoenix.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 05:34 pm
You lucky, duck. The drive-ins are all gone from Tampa now. It is great to hear of a new one going up.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 05:41 pm
I think I'd be willing to brave bugs to go to a drive-in again.
It's been about thirty years since I've been to one.

<sigh>
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 05:41 pm
The last one I remember was "Conan the Barbarian" with my late father in Orlando.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 05:45 pm
My last was Ghost Busters.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 05:50 pm
I'm pretty sure it was Star Wars for me.
1977 Shocked
I saw a lot of movies that summer.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 07:10 pm
I orginally saw "The Third Man" at the Whittier Drive-In and it drizzled on and off. Talk about atmosphere!

The land in the most populated areas of Southern California has become too costly to erect a drive-in theater. The Whitter did last an extraordinary long time -- it think it was only finally torn down in the Seventies.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 07:20 pm
The new one near Tomball is located on a relatively dark stretch of highway. They may do a good business, particularly around the holidays.

When I was a kid, the family car was a 29 Dodge Victory Six. It was plenty big for the family to ride in and we sometimes stood on the running board to watch movies, sometimes sat on the fender. We generally listened the radio program, Suspence, on the way there.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 07:26 pm
http://www.ruskinonline.com/DriveIn.htm

Brandon9000- This is not so far from Tampa, if you really crave a drive-in!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 07:32 pm
There is one drive-in theater I know of which still plays movies - it's in Wellfleet MA, on cape cod. It doubles as a flea market thursday-sunday. I haven't been to see a movie there for a few years. They built a standard theater on the same property. The choices at the standard theater are usually more to my liking.

As a teen, I used to go with friends to a drive-in in Chelmsford, MA. It's been gone for a number of years now.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 07:32 pm
I'm not quite sure I understand the concept of what you people are talking about.

Am I to believe that people drive cars into these theaters? How big is the friggin' building? And what possible benefit could people get from driving cars inside the building.

Is it like a parking ramp, then you walk to the movie?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 07:48 pm
They have some extensive air conditioning throughout the entire parking area, with huge exhaust fans to pull out the carbon monoxide.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 07:49 pm
edgar - are you serious?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 07:59 pm
Just giving Gus a little lowdown. >wink<
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 08:01 pm
<ah>
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 08:06 pm
My last drive-in movie was Grease. Went 15 times that summer. Not sure I ever saw the whole thing.

Movie was followed by "cruisin" the strip. mcodonalds, turn right, drive two miles to the Crown station, turn around and go back to the McDonalds parking lot, turn right, drive two miles... See someone you know and motion for them to pull into the K-Mart parking lot to share some of that Strawberry Hill.

Ahhh, those were the days.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 08:10 pm
Strawberry Hill -! Sissy stuff. It was Boone's Farm, for me.
0 Replies