Hotmail and Pop3

husker

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 07:04 pm
I recently heard CDK mention he can POP3 emails off hotmail, anyone know how this is done? Using Outlook or Outlook Express? Could be very helpful for many to know this trick.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,234 • Replies: 7
No top replies

satt fs

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 07:17 pm
There appears to be a software about it. I do not know more than this (not tested).

http://www.jmasoftware.com/english/index.html
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 07:49 pm
No need for additional software. Hotmail has beta support for this only so be advised that Outlook and Hotmail together is not yet an official release.

I am not sure what other mail readers support hotmail's unconventional format but here's how to do it in Outlook Express:

Go to Tools > Accounts > Add > Mail

Then type in your name, hit next.

Type in your hotmail adress and hit next.

Outlook should recognize it as a Hotmail account and then you will not need to do the POP and SMTP step. Just give your password at the prompt and that should do it.

Please note that Hotmail/Outlook combinations are not the same as with other POP email.

Hotmail accounts download the headers of the email before the rest. OS sometimes it looks like your email got there quickly but to view it the body still needs to download.

Another issue is the folders. Hotmail folders are different from normal outlook folders and you can't change much with them.

The one upside is that you can leave the sent messages on their server. In fact leaving the messages on their server is the default. So despite the headaches that brings it can help because it serves as a backup.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 08:06 pm
Looking like I got O.E. to work fine a little more testing.
THANKS
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 08:09 pm
Just got this message

Please note that MSN Hotmail provides account access to Outlook Express customers as a beta service, which means support from MSN Hotmail for Outlook Express is extremely limited. To receive quick tips & more information on accessing MSN Hotmail via Outlook Express,
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 08:20 pm
Yup, that was what I was talking about.

Try to delete stuff in that announcements folder and you will see what I mean about less folder control.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 11:56 pm
Had been having a lot of glitches with outlook express, so, after days of online and phone discussions, ended up with this beta version. So far, I like it. I'm not sure they'll leave it as is, and they don't offer much support for it - but there it is.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 25 May, 2003 11:21 am
lie michael, WELCOME to A2K, and thanks for the link. c.i.
0 Replies