Establishing residency in a state in which you don't live

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 01:07 pm
I was just wondering, if someone wanted to get their education much cheaper by being a resident of a certain state, but couldn't actually move there ahead of time, could they establish residency without actually being a resident? Does anyone know if this is possible?

If this hypothetical person had relatives living in that state, couldn't he use their address as his own for a year, thus establishing residency and then get the discounted schooling? Would that work?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 10,667 • Replies: 10
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 01:11 pm
if you have any friends in 'said' state, then have a light bill on in your name.

Start sending junk mail to the address.
List the address as a secondary contact with your
credit card companies...

yeah
it is possible
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 01:11 pm
These rules are usually pretty strict.

A lot of states have reciprocity agreements, though, especially if they're nearby -- Minnesota and Wisconsin do, for example. (If you're a resident of Minnesota, tuition at UW-Madison is reduced [compared to usual out-of-state tuition), etc.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 01:15 pm
A license from the hypothetical state helps as well. Usually all you have to do is pull out a state license and they don't ask for anything else.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 01:16 pm
Of course you need to be living there to get one.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 01:22 pm
They have some kind of retroactive rule, though, too...

Here's what I remember:

I grew up in Minneapolis and went to the University of Wisconsin. Got reciprocity tuition. Cool.

5 years later, having graduated and living in Madison, wanted to go to grad school in Minnesota. They insisted I was no longer a resident of Minnesota, and the requirements to establish residency were ridiculous/ impossible.

Definitely wasn't so simple as getting a license there.

I seem to remember that patiodog had a huge struggle with this, too.

You should be able to go to the website of the university in question and see what their requirements are.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 01:25 pm
'K, here's an example from the UW-Madison website:

Quote:
In determining bona fide residence at the time of the beginning of any semester or session and for the preceding 12 months the intent of the person to establish and maintain a permanent home in Wisconsin is determinative. In addition to representations by the student, intent may be demonstrated or disproved by factors including, but not limited to, timely filing of a Wisconsin income tax return of a type that only full-year Wisconsin residents may file, voter registration in Wisconsin, motor vehicle registration in Wisconsin, possession of a Wisconsin operator's license, place of employment, self support, involvement in community activities in Wisconsin, physical presence in Wisconsin for at least 12 months preceding the beginning of the semester or session for which the student registers, and, if the student is not a U.S. citizen, possession of a visa that permits indefinite residence in the United States. Notwithstanding par. (a), a student who enters and remains in this state principally to obtain an education is presumed to continue to reside outside this state and such presumption continues in effect until rebutted by clear and convincing evidence of bona fide residence.

http://registrar.wisc.edu/students/residence/wi_statutes.php
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 01:28 pm
Thanks. I used to live in this state, and I did have a driver's license up until a few years ago, but I let it lapse. Dammit. I think the requirements for residency are just that you have to live there a year. I think I could pretty easily use my relative's address, but the problem is that I'd probably have to get a job under the table for a year so they wouldn't see that.

Hmmm...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 01:31 pm
sozobe wrote:
'K, here's an example from the UW-Madison website:

Quote:
In determining bona fide residence at the time of the beginning of any semester or session and for the preceding 12 months the intent of the person to establish and maintain a permanent home in Wisconsin is determinative. In addition to representations by the student, intent may be demonstrated or disproved by factors including, but not limited to, timely filing of a Wisconsin income tax return of a type that only full-year Wisconsin residents may file, voter registration in Wisconsin, motor vehicle registration in Wisconsin, possession of a Wisconsin operator's license, place of employment, self support, involvement in community activities in Wisconsin, physical presence in Wisconsin for at least 12 months preceding the beginning of the semester or session for which the student registers, and, if the student is not a U.S. citizen, possession of a visa that permits indefinite residence in the United States. Notwithstanding par. (a), a student who enters and remains in this state principally to obtain an education is presumed to continue to reside outside this state and such presumption continues in effect until rebutted by clear and convincing evidence of bona fide residence.

http://registrar.wisc.edu/students/residence/wi_statutes.php

Wow, that seems like a lot. But it seems like you could prove residency with only one or a couple of those things. Unless they get real crazy about it. Yeah, that tax return stuff is probably where they'd get ya.
0 Replies

sozobe

The problem is how you prove that you lived there for a year. Bills are one thing, but filing taxes..?
0 Replies

sozobe

Oh, cross-posted. Yep.
0 Replies