China's Space Program

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2021 06:25 am
China is rivaling America's space efforts. But we don't read that much about it. Thought I would start a thread.
https://apnews.com/article/china-rocket-first-crew-space-station-7fa5ef676c9c4725579cf91443bd4564
They are poised to send a crew to their new space station.
They have rovers on the moon and on Mars.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 1,379 • Replies: 31
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2021 07:44 am
The space agency plans a total of 11 launches through the end of next year to deliver two laboratory modules to expand the 70-ton station, along with supplies and crew members. Next week’s launch will be the third of those, and the first of the four crewed missions planned.
per the link in the opening post.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2021 08:41 am
The politics of space efforts does not interest me. I would like to see cooperation and sharing of information and technology.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2021 10:24 am
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2021 10:43 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
I would like to see cooperation and sharing of information and technology.

I know. Is it really asking too much? Think of the benefits — to taxpayers, to science, to global unity.
farmerman

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2021 10:47 am
@hightor,
theyve already taken our ideas and made em cheaper without knowing the detail. thats why the camera fell off their rig. Laughing
hightor

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2021 10:53 am
@farmerman,
That's a great example. Let's just let every country launch anything they want and watch the planet accumulate crash debris!

Hey, btw, I've had a question about fracking that I wanted to ask you. I don't want to pollute edgar's thread — do you mind a PM?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2021 01:28 pm
I don't recall for certain how many nations have sent rockets to at least Mars orbit. I"m thinking just India, Russia, the US, and China.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2021 03:46 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

theyve already taken our ideas and made em cheaper without knowing the detail. thats why the camera fell off their rig. Laughing

Just think if they had gotten science from Nazis.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2021 08:43 pm
I'd like to know why everyone's wasting so much time, energy and money on this. Is it just muscle-flexing?

We have far more urgent concerns here on earth we should be dealing with. I mean, it's not like they're going to establish a station out there for people to live in.

What is the purpose? Other than the testosterone stuff?
oralloy

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2021 08:52 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
I'd like to know why everyone's wasting so much time, energy and money on this.

Learning about the universe and expanding scientific knowledge is hardly a waste.

Mame wrote:
We have far more urgent concerns here on earth we should be dealing with.

None that require abandoning the pursuit of scientific knowledge.

Mame wrote:
I mean, it's not like they're going to establish a station out there for people to live in.

Actually it is like that. We're not going to stay on earth forever.

Mame wrote:
What is the purpose?

To learn about the universe that we live in.
Mame

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2021 08:59 pm
@oralloy,
When you have so many people suffering from various political regimes and medial ailments, not to mention starvation, droughts, famines, how important, in comparison, is space science?

The world over people are starving and dying and going unmedicated, unfed, orphaned and un-mis-maltreated and you agree that exploring space is more important?

Space science is a luxury, or should be left to people like Musk.

oralloy

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2021 09:01 pm
@Mame,
Science is always more important.

Besides, how will abandoning science help remedy any of those other problems?
Mame

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2021 09:05 pm
@oralloy,
Put science to work on Earth's problems, is how. We've done it before, we can do it again. If things continue as they are, there will be nobody to inhabit Mars.
oralloy

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2021 09:12 pm
@Mame,
Science is already working on Earth's problems.
Mame

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2021 09:16 pm
@oralloy,
It appears you aren't very tuned-in to the news. Or they are the dumbest and must useless 'scientists' ever.

You have a severe drought problem that has been going on in California for years. Apparently, water barons have been siphoning off the Carmel River for two decades.... resulting in... yeah, water problems. It's all going to the farmers. They're even recycling human waste water for (non-potable) irrigation now (for sale, of course), but ... the future looks dire. And that's just ONE state in the entire world.

Keep uptodate, O... (not a name-call)... there are severe problems out there.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2021 09:41 pm
@Mame,
Poverty and war is a choice being forced upon us. The powers that be take our tax money and give away most of it to themselves, including the military. They spend a trillion dollars at the drop of a hat for pet projects. The simple acts of taking money out of politics and making the upper rich pay some substantial taxes would allow us resources for doing the people's work. We used to have a safety net and social programs back when men walked on the moon.
Mame

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2021 09:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
Yes. Doesn't it seem like the greedy get ever greedier, at the cost of the already impoverished? Safeway and the like can post profits every year, but they throw out millions and millions of safe-to-eat food because it's past the 'best before' date instead of donating it to the hungry. All in the name of "liability issues'.

When you think of all the food every household throws out because it didn't use it, we have enough food for everyone in the world. And the water wastage!

We're all out of lock-step with one another, starting with our own neighbourhoods to countries around the world. Look at China, North Korea, Russia and the USA. I'd mention Canada but we never get much of a global mention.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2021 10:05 pm
It makes only a little difference which party is in power. As Biden promised, "Nothing will substantially change."
Mame

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2021 10:12 pm
@edgarblythe,
And nothing has changed over millennia. Nothing. It's always been this way and likely always will. I'm just glad I'm in my 60s and not my teens.