ello! i wanna be a lawyer!

skarlee

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 12:37 pm
I Know, this is SO sad, as i am only in highschool, but my class and I have been talking about Career choices, And i would like to know exactly what i would have to do in my high school years to be the best lawyet i can be.
Anyone here with any comments or tips that can help me out?
thanks.
Skarlie
xxx
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,679 • Replies: 2
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 12:51 pm
First off, hello and welcome to A2K. Smile

Two things I can think of off the bat.
(1) Become a better writer. This means reading and writing a lot. It doesn't have to be schoolwork. It can be fiction, the newspaper, whatever. Just make sure your skills in this area are superb. All lawyers do a lot of writing, and fast reading with good reading comprehension are also essential to the job.

(2) Get good grades. I know that sounds easier said than done, but the bottom line is, the better the grades, the better the college. And the better the college (assuming better grades there, too), the better the Law School. And the better the Law School, the more likely you are to get work right out of the box. I went to a pretty low-level Law School and I did not have good job contacts when I got out. I also did not have the best Law School grades, either. Embarrassed So it was tough for me to find my first job, and I didn't do too well financially. You can go to any college, and study any subject in order to get into Law School, but the better your grades are, and the more difficult/prestigious your college is, the better the Law School will be, and the more choices you'll have. It's great to have a choice of ten possible schools that all want you, and perhaps all want to give you scholarship money. It's not so nice to have only one or two choices, and have to pay full freight.

You don't have to just take easy classes, and in fact I don't recommend that. In fact, I recommend a diverse range of classes - Calculus, Physics, Biology, French, Painting, English, History, Metal Shop, whatever. A lot of applicants to Law Schools specialized way too quickly, and ended up with pretty one-sided applications to Law School -- and they didn't always make it in. The top people in my Law School class were a male nurse and a geologist. They left the Political Science majors in the dust.

So get good grades, but by studying harder, asking questions and making sure you understand what's being taught before moving on, no matter how many questions it takes, rather than larding up your schedule with easy classes.

And best of luck to you. Very Happy
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 08:27 am
skarlee: If you haven't done so already, check out this thread.
0 Replies