3

Alternatives to Election Primaries

gollum

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2021 02:03 pm
I was told that the United States is the only democratic type country to use election primaries where citizens can run to become a political party's nominee.

In the other countries, I think party insiders decide on the nominee.

Is that true?

Frank Apisa

1  
Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2021 02:10 pm
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

Is that true?

I can only make a guess, but I am going to guess that it IS true...that you were told that.

1  
Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2021 03:09 pm
@Frank Apisa,
You have to be a member of ,or affiliated to, The Labour Party to vote on party leaders and other appointments. MPs are normally chosen locally although there sometimes is a complaint about head office parachuting in high profile candidates.

You have to be a party member or member of an affiliated body like a trade union to vote on all party appointments.
gollum

1  
Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2021 04:35 am
izzythepush-

Thank you.

If I understand correctly:

In the United States in 2016, Republican Party officials did not want Trump as the party's nominee for president but could not stop him;

In the United Kingdom, a person who wishes to run for a seat in Parliament would need the approval of the leaders of the party that he would be on.

1  
Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2021 04:57 am
@gollum,
Not if they stand as an independent, then they only need a certain amount of signatures from constituents, which is what everyone has to do.

It’s not the party leaders who decide who becomes the candidate, it’s the local membership.

I can only speak for the Labour Party. I’ve never been a member of any other party.

snood

2  
Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2021 05:50 am
@gollum,
gollum wrote:

izzythepush-

Thank you.

If I understand correctly:

Your assessment of how he became the nominee is correct. They could see how toxic and unprepared he was, but they just couldn’t stop him.
And since then at every possible turn, in every possible way they’ve sold out their ethics and reason to keep winning primaries with MAGA-crazed voters.