Vaccine denial: Why people don't want to take off their masks

Wed 26 May, 2021 03:51 pm
I got my second dose of Pfizer vaccine, and waited as recommended for it to reach a high level of effectiveness.

Then I hopped into my car. I drove 40 minutes to the nearest poker room. I sat down at the table shoulder to shoulder with 8 other people in a crowded room. I touched the cards and exchanged poker chips with the other players. We laughed, argued, and talked as poker players did.

And I did this all without a mask.

The science is clear. The vaccines prevent serious illness and the prevent transmission.

It is time to stop this weird overcautious and judgmental fearmongering. I don't really care if you continue to wear a mask, but I am honestly finished with it.

Of course, I did wear my seatbelt. Because the 40 minutes of driving was the most dangerous part of my poker excursion, and seatbelts actually do save lives.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,242 • Replies: 42
Topic Closed
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by maxdancona
roger

Wed 26 May, 2021 04:56 pm
@maxdancona,
I still wear one in businesses. It's just a matter of courtesy. I think you're mostly right on the actual need.
maxdancona

Wed 26 May, 2021 06:16 pm
@roger,
Yeah, I wear them in a business if there is a sign requesting one.

I don't look forward to wearing a mask for 8 hours a day when I am forced to go back to the office. My company has decided to not ask about vaccination status of its employees... and says that this means they can't change their mask policy.

This is idiocy as far as I am concerned.
oralloy

Wed 26 May, 2021 06:22 pm
@maxdancona,
Press them to change their policy and require vaccination of everyone (unless someone has a valid medical reason to not be vaccinated).
maxdancona

Wed 26 May, 2021 07:03 pm
@oralloy,
I work for a big corporation and haven't had the opportunity to voice my concern yet..I will comment.when it is time.

Generally in the.corporate world those policies from on high are hard to change.
oralloy

Wed 26 May, 2021 07:46 pm
@maxdancona,
This might not apply if you have a job that you love and really don't want to leave, but maybe it's time to look for a new employer with a more reasonable policy.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Thu 27 May, 2021 02:44 am
What happened to listening to medical advice?

You were all for it earlier, but now you’re vaccinated you don’t care about others.

When I got my second jab I was told to still wear a mask as I can still pass it onto others.

I follow medical advice even when it’s inconvenient because I’m not some selfish self entitled idiot.
hightor

Thu 27 May, 2021 03:15 am
I'm in favor of keeping them on. I'm butt-ugly and will continue to wear mine.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Thu 27 May, 2021 05:54 am
@izzythepush,
If you find out that the science says that vaccines prevent transmission... that after getting your second dose it is highly unlikely that you can pass it on to others.

Would you change your mind?
izzythepush

Thu 27 May, 2021 06:03 am
@maxdancona,
I follow medical advice whether it suits me or not.

I’m not changing my mind.

You have changed your mind constantly.

Initially you were planning on driving all over the country spreading as much disease as possible, then you decided to follow medical advice, or at least you claimed to, and now you’ve had your vaccine you’ve decided to throw that out of the window.

You may be able to fool yourself into thinking your attitude is consistent and evidence based, but the rest of us aren’t so daft.

The only thing consistent in your approach is your attention seeking.
maxdancona

Thu 27 May, 2021 06:34 am
@izzythepush,
Changing your mind is a good thing. If you base your opinions on evidence you will change your mind as you are presented with new evidence.

I don't think you meant it as a compliment.. But thank you.

We now have some time with the vaccine and the medical research is clear. Vaccines prevent transmission.
izzythepush

Thu 27 May, 2021 06:42 am
@maxdancona,
You haven’t based your opinions on evidence, just your own selfish needs and a desperate need for attention.

When the chief medical officer tells us we no longer need to wear masks I’ll stop wearing mine.

Now I’ve already given you way too much attention already so I won’t be spending any more time on you.
maxdancona

Thu 27 May, 2021 06:50 am
@izzythepush,
Ok Izzy. You have the moral indignation, and the smug self righteousness.

Let me ask the question again. At what point will you change your mind. We already have scientific research saying fully vaccinate people are safe..and we have the CDC in the US and I believe the WHO saying the same. The scientists are clear, the political policy makers are dragging their feet a bit.

At what point do you change your mind based on the evidence?
0 Replies

Linkat

Thu 27 May, 2021 06:56 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

When the chief medical officer tells us we no longer need to wear masks I’ll stop wearing mine.

I don't know the CDC is saying it is safe to remove masks after a couple of weeks of being fully vaccinated.

"Fully vaccinated people can resume activities without wearing a mask or physically distancing, except where required by federal, state, local, tribal, or territorial laws, rules, and regulations, including local business and workplace guidance."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated.html

I don't think he is being selfish - just following stated guidelines and happy to be free. Many public places are now having signs stating you do not need to wear a mask if fully vaccinated.

izzythepush

Thu 27 May, 2021 07:16 am
@Linkat,
You are welcome to your own opinion.

I am interested in the opinion of Chris Whitty, that’s it.
maxdancona

Thu 27 May, 2021 08:03 am
@izzythepush,
Great, Izzy! You answered my question.

Assuming that Chris Whitty is as scentifically competent as his credentials suggest, and that he is reading the scientific reasearch... But understanding that he is a political appointee in an rather uptight country (and that alarmism is part of his job)...

I bet that Chris Whitty drops his insistance on a mask mandate by the end of July. I can wait.
0 Replies

Linkat
  Selected Answer

Thu 27 May, 2021 08:44 am
@izzythepush,
But it is not my opinion it is the opinion of the CDC which is much more qualified than mine.

Also someone following a respective health organization's guidelines does not make one selfish. I, too, agree, that opinions change as you gain more insight. At one time it was not thought that masks would help, but as science and more knowledge developed it was found that was not case so then medical experts and the CDC found they were.

It was also discovered the risk of covid being infected via surfaces is small whereas a year ago I was wiping down every single thing before it entered my house. Do I do that any more? No - as since then it was discovered this risk is very small.

You change behavior with the discovery of new information.
izzythepush

Thu 27 May, 2021 09:00 am
@Linkat,
The CDC is American. America’s response to Covid has hardly been inspiring.

I prefer our experts thank you very much.
maxdancona

Thu 27 May, 2021 09:06 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

The CDC is American. America’s response to Covid has hardly been inspiring.

I prefer our experts thank you very much.

Just to be clear, America has had lower mortality rates than the UK during the pandemic. America now has a higher vaccinarion rate than the UK.

America is doing alright.
izzythepush

Thu 27 May, 2021 09:13 am
@maxdancona,
Nonsense, and even if that were true, which it isn’t, it still doesn’t mean you can tell everyone else what to do.

1. Forums
  2. » Vaccine denial: Why people don't want to take off their masks
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 08:16:12