Afterlife?

hightor

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2021 07:57 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
And you are a bit sneering of people of Faith.

Only the obnoxious ones. And more than a bit. I don't care for obnostics either.

Quote:
I see a lone spitfire pilot going down during the Battle of Britain.

Yes, people have acted very selflessly in war, like the guys who absorb the blast of grenade to save their fellow soldiers. It seems to me that faith in an afterlife isn't a good rationale for this sort of behavior, however. For one thing, it diminishes the heroism of the act which is no longer purely selfless but more of a ticket to paradise. And believing that there's life after death would mean that saving all those lives wasn't really necessary since they could all count on life in the hereafter.
0 Replies

Jasper10

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2021 08:01 am
@Brandon9000,
…..of course the body is an amazing biological machine.....that is without question....the bigger question is ...who's in CONTROL of the machine??…...one has to master CONSCIOUSNESS types before one can gain CONTROL...….in the meantime one remains a "prisoner of consciousness" in TOTAL UNAWARENESS.

Most modern day science hasn't the first clue about consciousness and it's interactions with PRESENCE and SELF....

Philosophy and Science are moving into a new era.....
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2021 08:42 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
A "tentative conclusion" is a belief. Nothing more; nothing less.

Wrong.

Bullshit.

But if you choose to call your blind guesses "tentative conclusions"...that IS allowed. Theists call those kinds of things "beliefs."

My guess is that you identify as an atheist...and the arguments you are making have a LOT more to do with that identification than with your desire to show that a particular word is being used incorrectly.

Izzy is imparting a great deal more wisdom in his observations than you seem to appreciate right now.

Arguing with people as committed to guesses as are theists and atheists is futile...but fun. I agree with you on so many other items, Hightor, I really do not like to argue with you on this issue, but there is no way I will ever allow what I perceive to be an atheistic based comment to go unchallenged.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2021 09:02 am
You're not arguing with me, you're arguing with a rigid explicit atheism which you incorrectly attribute to me.
oralloy

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2021 10:00 am
@hightor,
Frank is a militant agnostic.

He's the agnostic equivalent of the Protestant who rants that every Christian who doesn't believe in his own specific version of Christianity is going to burn in Hell.

Many years ago (I would guess 15 years, it really was quite awhile ago) I came across an atheism thread where Setanta posted a challenge to agnosticism. I eagerly opened a reply tab because I wanted to answer the challenge. But I kept reading the thread before replying, and I discovered that it was a thread for atheists to talk among themselves without fighting with other religions, and Frank was butting in there like a bull in a china shop and would not stop picking fights with them, which is why Setanta issued the challenge.

I was sorry to not address the challenge, which I had found interesting, but I felt that the best thing for me to do was not post in the thread at all. I only would have worsened the unwelcome intrusion into their space.

In short, if you disagree with agnosticism even slightly, Frank is going to be on your case with the tenacity of JTT when he is ranting about 9/11 conspiracies.
oralloy

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2021 10:02 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
I believe that the body is a machine because it appears to be one. Organs function by electro-chemical processes which are capable of being understood and interacted with. At some point it breaks. Believing something because it appears to be true isn't zealotry.

Scientists function by gathering evidence, uniting it in a theory which explains it, then performing tests to see if it behaves as it would if the theory were true. Scientists do not believe things for which there is no evidence.

There is no evidence that we cease to exist when we die. Therefore there is no scientific reason to believe that we cease to exist when we die.

Brandon9000 wrote:
Give me one single piece of evidence that there's an afterlife.

There is none.

But, as I noted above, there is also zero evidence that there is not.

Thus agnosticism.
hightor

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2021 12:05 pm
@oralloy,
It's interesting because when I first encountered him many years ago — probably twenty — he helped me to clarify my thoughts about the supernatural and the existence of a personal creator of the universe. I never cared for the term "agnostic" because it always seemed sort of wishy-washy. But reading some of his critiques of atheism I had to admit he had a point. Further research on my part led me to discover the distinction between implicit and explicit forms of non-belief. And that's when I adopted the implicit (or weak) atheism tag. It's not that I claim that there is no personal supreme being — a claim that can neither be proven nor disproven — but simply that it was one of many beliefs to which I did not subscribe.

I don't mind having a militant agnostic around but as a philosophical stance I don't find it very fruitful. Practically any conjecture about the nature of reality can be subjected to hardcore skepticism. If you say that no gods exist they'll shoot back, "Maybe those gods are influencing the data you receive in a way which hides their existence." When I suggested that an afterlife violated all we know of terrestrial biology, Frank shoots back, "Do you suppose it impossible (or improbably) that there is much more left to know about biology than we already know?" With that kind of systematic doubt we really can't be sure of anything, and all hypotheses are equally suspect. There's something cognitively hygienic about that perspective and the argument always ends with an unanswerable question, but ultimately it ends up with smug self-satisfaction as his side always gets the last word. Yeah, well I still say that transcendent incorporeal existence isn't really a matter of biology.
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2021 12:17 pm
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
I presume you've never heard of the Theory of Evolution. That provides an adequate explanation.

You obviously have not studied biology nor evolution nearly enough.
Darwin’s Evolution has nothing to do with the design of 'life'.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2021 12:29 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

It's interesting because when I first encountered him many years ago — probably twenty — he helped me to clarify my thoughts about the supernatural and the existence of a personal creator of the universe. I never cared for the term "agnostic" because it always seemed sort of wishy-washy. But reading some of his critiques of atheism I had to admit he had a point. Further research on my part led me to discover the distinction between implicit and explicit forms of non-belief. And that's when I adopted the implicit (or weak) atheism tag. It's not that I claim that there is no personal supreme being — a claim that can neither be proven nor disproven — but simply that it was one of many beliefs to which I did not subscribe.

I don't mind having a militant agnostic around but as a philosophical stance I don't find it very fruitful. Practically any conjecture about the nature of reality can be subjected to hardcore skepticism. If you say that no gods exist they'll shoot back, "Maybe those gods are influencing the data you receive in a way which hides their existence." When I suggested that an afterlife violated all we know of terrestrial biology, Frank shoots back, "Do you suppose it impossible (or improbably) that there is much more left to know about biology than we already know?" With that kind of systematic doubt we really can't be sure of anything, and all hypotheses are equally suspect. There's something cognitively hygienic about that perspective and the argument always ends with an unanswerable question, but ultimately it ends up with smug self-satisfaction as his side always gets the last word. Yeah, well I still say that transcendent incorporeal existence isn't really a matter of biology.

In my opinion, you are right to scorn some of those who are smug and self-satisfied...which I do also.

As Izzy has noted, that seems to be one of the reasons we are having parts of the discussion in play.

I no longer say that I am an Agnostic...which sounds as phony as Implicit Atheist. Descriptors are bullshit. The question resolves itself into "Is there at least one god...or not?" All else (this afterlife stuff, etc.) follows from that.

On that question, here is my stance:

I do not know if any gods exist or not;

I see no reason to suspect gods CANNOT EXIST...that the existence of gods is impossible;

I see no reason to suspect that gods MUST EXIST...that gods are needed to explain existence;

I do not see enough unambiguous evidence upon which to base a meaningful guess in either direction...

...so I don't.

What is there about that that you find objectionable?

Can you say that your position on the question is appreciably different...to the point where you would have to reject it?

WHAT IS YOUR POSITION ON THE QUESTION?
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2021 12:44 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
WHAT IS YOUR POSITION ON THE QUESTION?

Not that you will read this, but I am happy to see that you at least see the real question. And I don’t blame you for not seeing any evidence 'for' in your studies for the priesthood.

In any case, I’m happy to take a position, which I’m sure you already know. But let me describe it more fully, if only to myself.

It is apparently my curse and blessing to be given eyes that see absolute unequivocal evidence of a Designer in a world of men who see none.

0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2021 12:46 pm
@Frank Apisa,
That's well-expressed. Our positions are close but not congruent.

Quote:

I see reason to suspect gods CANNOT EXIST...but not that the existence of gods is impossible;

I see no reason to suspect that gods MUST EXIST...that gods are needed to explain existence;

I see some evidence upon which to base a tentative guess in the direction of non-existence...but little convincing evidence in the other.

...so I'm not averse to expressing my doubts but I'm not interested in de-programming those with a faith-based view.
oralloy

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2021 12:58 pm
I'm an agnostic but I'm only mildly militant about it.

If I see someone say that my faith is wrong, I'll explain how my faith is not wrong.

But if I see someone say that they believe differently from me, I will not presume to tell them that their faith is wrong.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2021 01:26 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

That's well-expressed. Our positions are close but not congruent.

Quote:

I see reason to suspect gods CANNOT EXIST...but not that the existence of gods is impossible;

I see some evidence upon which to base a tentative guess in the direction of non-existence...but little convincing evidence in the other.

...so I'm not averse to expressing my doubts but I'm not interested in de-programming those with a faith-based view.

Thank you for your reply, Hightor. This is a discussion that CAN be had...and it can be reasonable.

If you have any questions about my take...please ask. I have a few about yours.

You wrote: "I see reason to suspect gods CANNOT EXIST...but not that the existence of gods is impossible"

What reasons could exist to suspect that gods CANNOT EXIST?

Just give me one or two...so we can discuss them.

You wrote: "I see no reason to suspect that gods MUST EXIST...that gods are needed to explain existence"

Neither do I. We are one on this.

You wrote: "I see some evidence upon which to base a tentative guess in the direction of non-existence...but little convincing evidence in the other."

Not entirely sure what you are saying there. What evidence do you see that would make you base a "tentative guess" that there are no gods?

And why would the "evidence" in the other direction have to be "convincing?" There is no "convincing evidence" in either direction.

You wrote: "so I'm not averse to expressing my doubts but I'm not interested in de-programming those with a faith-based view. "

I am...both those who have a faith-based view that there IS a god...and those with a faith-based view that there are no gods.

I just feel humanity would be the better if both sides of that equation abandoned their positions.

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2021 01:29 pm
@hightor,
By the way, I said that I no longer say that I am an Agnostic.

I do occasionally, but as infrequently as possible. In Internet discussions when I express my take, it is often noted as being an agnostic one.

It is.

So I do occasionally use the shorthand of "agnostic."

I do not like descriptors, though, because they don't do a good job of expressing a nuanced position.
hightor

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2021 02:18 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Yeah, you can always say "I'm agnostic with regard to that subject," and avoid the capital "A" self-labeling.

Quote:

There is a stunning lack of solid evidence for supernatural events and supernatural beings and nearly all of the as yet known natural world can be explained by our knowledge of biology, chemistry, and physics. I see no need to complement a working system with an invisible and undetectable blanket of supernaturalism. These are reasons to suspect but not enough to disprove.

It is understandable that primitive hominids, when attempting to explain the world around them, would infer human-like intentions and emotions to the natural processes which affected them. Origin myths are universal yet distinctly different, each reflecting the cultures from which they sprung, and Genesis is no more realistic than the elephants standing on the stacked backs of turtles..."turtles all the way down". If the stories aren't convincing and there's no solid material evidence, I don't feel remiss in remaining skeptical.

But, yes, a bunch of hidden playful gods could be pranking us — you can never be too sure. I realize that my answers skirt around the notion of "can or cannot" and will try to reformulate them if you ask me to.

Quote:
What evidence do you see that would make you base a "tentative guess" that there are no gods?

Materialism, parsimony, and lack of necessity.

Quote:
And why would the "evidence" in the other direction have to be "convincing?"

All the purported evidence for the existence of supernatural beings comes from the testimony of human beings. Humans are notoriously bad witnesses and quite adept creating rationalization mechanisms to deal with contradictions and suspect facts in verbal accounts. You might ask what I would accept as convincing evidence. That's very difficult as I could have a conversion experience and claim that God spoke to me and there's no way I would accept that it might be a hallucination. Nor would I expect God, accompanied by Satan and maybe a few angels, to show up at the UN, perform a few miracles, and submit themselves to questioning. Even convincing evidence would be suspect if it only convinced me.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2021 05:03 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Yeah, you can always say "I'm agnostic with regard to that subject," and avoid the capital "A" self-labeling.

The problem with descriptors is more nuanced than that. We'll leave that for the moment, because we can always describe what we mean by a particular descriptor...which atheists often have to do.

Quote:

Quote:
There is a stunning lack of solid evidence for supernatural events and supernatural beings and nearly all of the as yet known natural world can be explained by our knowledge of biology, chemistry, and physics.

This is essentially saying that because a "god" is not acting like a human would expects a god to act...one CANNOT exist. This is essentially saying that because we do not need gods to explain the things we know (and those we do not know)...they CANNOT exist.

There is no logic to this at all, Hightor. Logically, this does not even measure up to "There must be a first cause...which is god"...and "There must be a first cause...which is god" is an absurdity .

You might pass it off to someone gullible as a reason to suspect that NO GOD EXISTS, but to try to say it is a reason to suspect that a god CANNOT exist is beneath your intelligence.

Quote:
I see no need to complement a working system with an invisible and undetectable blanket of supernaturalism. These are reasons to suspect but not enough to disprove.

If you want to blindly guess that there are no gods...do so. But understand that all you are doing is making a blind guess that there are none. You are not doing so as a result of logical thinking.

Quote:
It is understandable that primitive hominids, when attempting to explain the world around them, would infer human-like intentions and emotions to the natural processes which affected them. Origin myths are universal yet distinctly different, each reflecting the cultures from which they sprung, and Genesis is no more realistic than the elephants standing on the stacked backs of turtles..."turtles all the way down". If the stories aren't convincing and there's no solid material evidence, I don't feel remiss in remaining skeptical.

I am sure you do not. So what? And stop thinking that I am defending the Abrahamic concept of a god. I have given you my take on "are there any gods"...so perhaps I should give you my take on the Bible. While I do not have enough unambiguous evidence upon which to base a meaningful guess about the existence of gods...I certainly have enough upon which to make one about the Bible. Here it is:

My guess, for what it is worth, is that "the Bible" is a very self-serving history (of sorts) of the early Hebrew people...a relatively unsophisticated, unknowledgeable, superstitious people who had many enemies in the areas where they lived. Their enemies worshiped barbarous, vengeful, wrathful, unforgiving, demanding, murderous, petty gods. And to protect themselves from those gods, they invented an especially barbarous, vengeful, wrathful, unforgiving, demanding, murderous, petty god...and worshiped it. The story seems to be a necessary mythology. The mythology served a needed purpose at that time and I can easily understand why the ancient Hebrews felt about it the way they did.

The fact that modern theists feel the way they do about it...is disappointing and disheartening.

Quote:
But, yes, a bunch of hidden playful gods could be pranking us — you can never be too sure. I realize that my answers skirt around the notion of "can or cannot" and will try to reformulate them if you ask me to.

I think I have articulated the reasons I find your reasoning defective.

Quote:
Quote:
What evidence do you see that would make you base a "tentative guess" that there are no gods?

Materialism, parsimony, and lack of necessity.

And a blind guess that there are no gods?

I suspect that last item would be the true reason.

Quote:
All the purported evidence for the existence of supernatural beings comes from the testimony of human beings. Humans are notoriously bad witnesses and quite adept creating rationalization mechanisms to deal with contradictions and suspect facts in verbal accounts. You might ask what I would accept as convincing evidence. That's very difficult as I could have a conversion experience and claim that God spoke to me and there's no way I would accept that it might be a hallucination. Nor would I expect God, accompanied by Satan and maybe a few angels, to show up at the UN, perform a few miracles, and submit themselves to questioning. Even convincing evidence would be suspect if it only convinced me.

I agree, humans are unreliable on this issue...both those inclined toward "there is at least one god" and those inclined toward "there are no gods."

As for "the evidence"...it is ambiguous...not missing...and not all from the testimony of human beings.

If there is at least one god (one of the possibilities)...EVERYTHING that exists is evidence of the existence of that god or those gods.

If there are no gods (the other possibility)...EVERYTHING that exists is evidence that no gods exist.

That is the problem!

And if there are gods...they are NOT supernatural. They are natural...a part of nature...a part of what exists. No matter than humans (nor ants nor amoeba) are able to understand that.

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2021 06:05 am
@Frank Apisa,
Damn! 5 stars! Only one comment.

Quote:
My guess, for what it is worth, is that "the Bible" is a very self-serving history (of sorts) of the early Hebrew people...a relatively unsophisticated, unknowledgeable, superstitious people who had many enemies in the areas where they lived. Their enemies worshiped barbarous, vengeful, wrathful, unforgiving, demanding, murderous, petty gods. And to protect themselves from those gods, they invented an especially barbarous, vengeful, wrathful, unforgiving, demanding, murderous, petty god...and worshiped it.

The fact that modern theists feel the way they do about it...is disappointing and disheartening.

Not much I can disagree with there. But really, that's why some of us theists are so impressed. All that you said being true, but still telling that amazing narrative concealed in it. Or imagined if you prefer.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2021 06:14 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
I presume you've never heard of the Theory of Evolution. That provides an adequate explanation.

You obviously have not studied biology nor evolution nearly enough.
Darwin’s Evolution has nothing to do with the design of 'life'.

After 500 million years, finally, by chance, a molecule formed, much, much, much simpler than DNA, which made copies of itself. At that point, evolution by natural selection began and 4 billion years later, here we are.
Leadfoot

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2021 06:18 am
@Brandon9000,
So... Magic. huh..

Exactly how much simpler was it? And if that simple, why can’t we make one?
Brandon9000

Reply Thu 10 Jun, 2021 06:20 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
I believe that the body is a machine because it appears to be one. Organs function by electro-chemical processes which are capable of being understood and interacted with. At some point it breaks. Believing something because it appears to be true isn't zealotry.

Scientists function by gathering evidence, uniting it in a theory which explains it, then performing tests to see if it behaves as it would if the theory were true. Scientists do not believe things for which there is no evidence.

There is no evidence that we cease to exist when we die. Therefore there is no scientific reason to believe that we cease to exist when we die.

Brandon9000 wrote:
Give me one single piece of evidence that there's an afterlife.

There is none.

But, as I noted above, there is also zero evidence that there is not.

Thus agnosticism.

Where is the evidence that your car or toaster ceases to operate after it breaks? You can see with your own eyes that it's not operating any more. You don't need any more evidence than seeing it to conclude that your car or toaster are no longer working. What would require evidence is the belief that some essence of the car or toaster continues to operate in some other magical place. So, again, give me one single scrap of evidence that some essence of people continues after the body breaks.