What are the positives to being biracial?

maxdancona

Reply Sun 9 May, 2021 02:46 pm
The interesting topic here is the positives of being multicultural. And there are many.

1. There are demonstrated cognitive benefits to speaking more than one language.

2. Being in two cultures causes to "code switch", you have two different world views and develop the ability to jump between them.

3. Most people accept their way of seeing things as the only way that makes sense. Being in two cultures allows you to look at each culture from the outside. It gives you a unique perspective that most people don't get in their own culture.

4. You can take stories, ideas, holidays, values and customs from more than one place. In my family we do Contra Dancing (which borrows heavily from English, Irish, Scottish and French roots). We also love Banda, which has a rich Mexican tradition combined with clear Eastern European roots.

5. You have another language to talk about people without them understanding. My son played soccer in Cambridge MA, their high school team had a lot of Spanish players. They played against the rich suburbs which had ... let's call them Northern European roots. They used Spanish freely, and even the other players on the team learned how to curse in Spanish.

6. My children grew up with the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy. They also grew up with La LLorona and Catrinas. They loved and benefited from all of these traditions.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 9 May, 2021 03:33 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

YellowDragon11 wrote:

You: The British preferred to kill the indigenous people than to mate with them.

Me: A lot of Native Americans thought the same way... They would rather kill whites and their families, instead of being on friendly terms with them ((and a lot of them did)), so what's your point there exactly...? Or should I say, what's the point behind the point you're making? ; )

The British were colonizers. They weren't here to be "friendly". They were here to steal land, subjugate the people and to make a great deal of profit from it. They took what they wanted and didn't care what happened to indigenous people. To Native Americans the British colonizers always presented a deadly threat, and we see the results now.

I don't believe you are Native American, or if you are I don't think you have very much contact with Native American culture. The idea that when foreigners are coming to invade and steal your land you should be "on friendly terms with them" is a little ridiculous.

There is no one Native American culture just to start with Pre-Columbian populations into North American was the result of waves of population movements over ten of thousands of years before Europeans got into the game.

Nor is there any indications that those groups on the whole treated each other better then the Europeans did with whole groups and cultures being wipe out in warfare before the first sailing ships arrived.

Quote:
https://uapress.arizona.edu/book/north-american-indigenous-warfare-and-ritual-violence
Despite evidence of warfare and violent conflict in pre-Columbian North America, scholars argue that the scale and scope of Native American violence is exagerated. They contend that scholarly misrepresentation has denigrated indigenous peoples when in fact they lived together in peace and harmony. In rebutting that contention, this groundbreaking book presents clear evidence—from multiple academic disciplines—that indigenous populations engaged in warfare and ritual violence long before European contact. In ten well-documented and thoroughly researched chapters, fourteen leading scholars dispassionately describe sources and consequences of Amerindian warfare and violence, including ritual violence. Originally presented at an American Anthropological Association symposium, their findings construct a convincing case that bloodshed and killing have been woven into the fabric of indigenous life in North America for many centuries.

The editors argue that a failure to acknowledge the roles of warfare and violence in the lives of indigenous North Americans is itself a vestige of colonial repression—depriving native warriors of their history of armed resistance. These essays document specific acts of Native American violence across the North American continent. Including contributions from anthropologists, archaeologists, historians, and ethnographers, they argue not only that violence existed but also that it was an important and frequently celebrated component of Amerindian life.

CONTENTS
maxdancona

Reply Sun 9 May, 2021 03:46 pm
@BillRM,
You are justifying genocide.
snood

Reply Sun 9 May, 2021 03:58 pm
This thread wins the MOST ASININE THREAD 2021 title. Congratulations - there was stiff competition.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 9 May, 2021 04:09 pm
@maxdancona,
So pointing out facts repeat facts is somehow justifying genocide ???????

Once more the fact is that white Europeans was not the only agents of genocide.

Hell one of the first white settlements just disappear men women and children and it is likely to been the result of hostile actions.

Quote:
Lost Colony, early English settlement on Roanoke Island (now in North Carolina, U.S.) that mysteriously disappeared between the time of its founding (1587) and the return of the expedition's leader (1590)

snood

Reply Sun 9 May, 2021 04:18 pm
@BillRM,
Saying “Europeans aren’t the only ones who committed genocide” is like saying “White people aren’t the only ones who are racist.” - What’s your point?

Was genocide perpetrated on Indigenous people? Yes. Were the perpetrators by and large white people with European origins? Yes.

So what’s your point?

maxdancona

Reply Sun 9 May, 2021 04:20 pm
@BillRM,
You are making the argument that the Genocide of Native Americans by British colonizers was justified. If you are not making that argument, then please correct me.

I don't see any of your "facts repeat facts" provide a justification for genocide

Your facts seem to be.

- One or more colonies started by White Europeans disappeared, perhaps to idigenous violence. Even if this was a due to inigenous violence this doesn't justify the genocide of British colonization.

- The Idigenous tribes fought with each other, and maybe committed barbaric acts against each other. Even if this is true this doesn't justify the genocide of British colonization

That facts aren't justifying genocide. You seem to be the one justifying genocide.

The British colonial power committed a massive genocide against indigenous peoples in order to steal land (and set up slave plantations). None of your "facts" justify this. I hope you aren't making the argument that the Native Americans deserved it. Because that is obscene. But that seems to be what you are implying.
YellowDragon11

Reply Sun 9 May, 2021 04:42 pm
@maxdancona,
Oh, well... You got me there. : ) Lol. They still got their asses wooped though.
0 Replies

YellowDragon11

Reply Sun 9 May, 2021 04:47 pm
@snood,
His point is, that Europeans aren't the only ones capable of doing such... I think...? Which if that is his point, he is very correct. Look at the Ottoman Empire and white slavery... Look what the Arabs did there, and they're not white. Smile I'm pretty sure if Native Americans had the same means to where they would be capable of 'colonizing' white people, they would do so... I think it's just a part of human nature. It's a part of us that needs to be "tamed" I believe, but to deny it...? Na... That can't be good... How will we ever "truly" fix the problem in the future...?
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 9 May, 2021 04:49 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

Saying “Europeans aren’t the only ones who committed genocide” is like saying “White people aren’t the only ones who are racist.” - What’s your point?

Quote:
Was genocide perpetrated on Indigenous people? Yes. Were the perpetrators by and large white people with European origins? Yes.

So what’s your point?

Sorry I do not see that the Europeans was any more responsible for genocide that any other large group in that time period.

Was hardly peaceful peoples that never wiped out each other before the sailing ships arrive.

See the friendly Aztec who not only rule over large numbers of other people as slaves but have the charming habit of cutting out the hearts of those people they rule over as part of their religion.

The main killing of native people by Europeans after the Europeans arrive was the result of the diseases their bodies was carrying not their guns.
YellowDragon11

Reply Sun 9 May, 2021 04:51 pm
@maxdancona,
You: The British colonial power committed a massive genocide against indigenous peoples in order to steal land (and set up slave plantations). None of your "facts" justify this. I hope you aren't making the argument that the Native Americans deserved it. Because that is obscene. But that seems to be what you are implying.

Me: The question is though... Did Europeans deserve to be used to commit those genocides? If you believe the ancient astronaut theory like I do ((that most Native Americans also believe in/the "star beings"/the 'gods' who came from the stars and created human civilization, that run and control all our lives)) than you will consider the fact that humanity as a whole is being played against each other ((like a game of chess)). You would consider the possibility that the Europeans were just used to set the stage for a "new world order" we're human beings are all exploited equally. : ) Hmm? ; )

Even the Greek philosopher Plato theorized on this... With his Cave analogy. That 'reality' could actually be a projection from another, and that we all could just be "puppets" to the 'gods' ((higher dimensional beings)).
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 9 May, 2021 04:59 pm
@BillRM,
Jesus. You’re actually arguing that white people didn’t purposefully wipe out the Native population.

I suppose white people also didn’t build their new country on the backs of people forced into chattel slavery, either? You got a benign explanation for that too?
BillRM

Reply Sun 9 May, 2021 05:02 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:
You are making the argument that the Genocide of Native Americans by British colonizers was justified. If you are not making that argument, then please correct

How do you get that theory by my writing.my whole damn point was that warfare and even the ending of whole tribes and the taking of their land was not uncommon by those very native peoples themselves.

The Europeans effect on the native population that was large was mainly due to the diseases they carry not any killing sprees.

snood

Reply Sun 9 May, 2021 05:17 pm
@BillRM,
I’m being too rigid with you here, Bill.

I suppose it is a point of contention and debate - how much of the reduction in numbers of Native Americans was a result of unintentional spread of disease, versus how much was the result of malicious policy of extermination.

BillRM

Reply Sun 9 May, 2021 05:37 pm
@snood,
Sorry there was no real used of native people as slaves and little or nothing was build on their backs.

The slaves was brought over from the other side of the earth and have nothing to do with native people.

Nor was there a pattern of mass killings. Interesting footnote a large number of Apaches live by raiding and by killings to the point the farmers along the southern border fear to go out to pick their crops in fear for their live to the point there was some starvation resulted. It was then mainly the Mexico government who put a bounty on their heads. The only example that come to mind of genocide attempts toward natives.

Now some tribes was move west of the Mississippi an interesting and sad period with Jackson not obeying the SC concerning not moving the natives.

Now you are combining black slavery with the treatment of the tribes???

History is never that simple my freind.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 9 May, 2021 05:46 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

I’m being too rigid with you here, Bill.

I suppose it is a point of contention and debate - how much of the reduction in numbers of Native Americans was a result of unintentional spread of disease, versus how much was the result of malicious policy of extermination.

Once more other then the placing of bounties on head/hair of those Indians who sat on the Mexican American border and raid an killed farmers and others on both side of that border what policy of extermination?
0 Replies

YellowDragon11

Reply Sun 9 May, 2021 05:51 pm
@snood,
Either 'admit' to being an inferior race ((and move the **** on)), or look for a loop hole ((HINT: the occult side to life)).

Oh, and I don't believe blacks are inferior, but I do believe there's a side to life that you're not looking at... That you don't want to acknowledge. https://web.archive.org/web/20070207025605/https://www.luciferianliberationfront.org/llf2.html <----- I do not believe everything that is said here, but I share this link to be food for thought. : )
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 10 May, 2021 03:04 am
@YellowDragon11,
YellowDragon11 wrote:

Okay....? And if given the opportunity, Native Americans would of likely done the same to the British, so what's your point...? lol. You act as if Native Americans are more peaceful or something to the likes, but yet Native Americans were very war-like... A lot of tribes were big on killing other tribes, and there was actual sacred rituals that revolved around killing their enemies. I mean look at the Aztec's for example... One of the Aztec emperor's wearing the skin of another chief's daughter ((literally)). A greater force ((in some regards)) came along and 'conquered' Native Americans... They lost 'their land' ((even though this planet doesn't 'belong' to anyone)) and yeah, got 'colonized'. It happens... Am I going to sit here and cry around about it...? No. I'm not weak... You would likely do that, but I wouldn't. I'm not you man. : )

Obviously you did not understand my point...and I suspect it would be useless to pursue it.

You advocate for more shame than honor to your ancestry with what you are saying here.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 10 May, 2021 03:08 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

Jesus. You’re actually arguing that white people didn’t purposefully wipe out the Native population.

Not white people at all, once the British left America was a haven of racial harmony, and if it wasn’t that was the fault of the British too.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 10 May, 2021 05:41 am
I’m just shaking my head and muttering “unbelievable “! I find the denial of the purposeful genocide of Indigenous people in the “New World” to be incredible.

I actually started researching the dozens of phony treaties and military campaigns and federal initiatives that had the sole purpose of moving native Americans off of coveted land by any means necessary.

But I stopped, because it started to feel like trying to prove 9/11 to truthers or convincing doubters that we landed on the moon. It’s a fool’s errand. If you don’t believe white men took this land from natives, causing destruction, death and displacement as they did it, then I’m going to just have to let your lack of knowledge to be your problem - it damn sure isn’t mine.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 06:15:06