Breeding bacteria for Mars

Rehkopf

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2021 07:15 pm
I have wondered for a long time; why don't we build a scale environment with controlled variables? Start with Earth like air pressures and radiation and a culture of a bacteria identified as beneficial. Then SLOWLY change conditions over time to be more and more Mars like conditions. Given the short life cycle and fast evolution potential it seems totally possible to condition a bacterial strain to viably harvest for a future human colony. It always just seemed like a no brainer to me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,280 • Replies: 2
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2021 05:15 am
@Rehkopf,
Bacteria have been found growing on fuel rods in a nuclear reactor, so I don’t think they’ll have too much trouble adapting to the Martian environment.
Rehkopf

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2021 10:43 pm
@izzythepush,
I still think having preconditioned cultures would be nice to have if anything less than a proof of concept. The only way a colony gets the ok is if there are plenty of reasons it could actually work. I think if an article comes out saying a university has conditioned life to live on Mars that can change public perception.
0 Replies