The Derek Chauvin Trial

Mame

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2021 08:19 pm
@glitterbag,
Thank you, GB. It was fairly recent, wasn't it? Like within a week or two? I'm so bad at timelines, but I'm sure it was very recent.
vikorr

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2021 09:06 pm
@oralloy,
Where I live, the Coroner investigates call deaths in police custody. I mention this, because it seems that even a car thief failing to pull over for police, getting in a pursuit then crashing the car and dying, is a death in police custody. I can't quite work that one out, but there it is.

Perhaps it is the Coroner's way of helping to limit deaths from pursuits, rather than anything to do with the normal understanding of being in custody.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2021 09:18 pm
@Mame,
I'm positive I heard the same story at least twice last week but I can't find the story I heard. The article you posted about the mother of 6 was reported in March I think, so that's not the one. I'll keep looking.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2021 09:45 pm
@vikorr,
I'm using the normal everyday understanding of the term custody. I don't consider someone to be in custody unless he is fully under the control of the police.
vikorr

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2021 11:06 pm
@oralloy,
I would say 'now you see the issue with using a word outside the normal everyday understanding of the word'...but...
oralloy

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2021 03:10 am
@vikorr,
When I'm speaking in the defense of an innocent person who is being lynched, I fight dirty.

That often means being aggressive with my terminology and using words that the lynch mob finds highly provocative.

I never regret doing so. The innocent person who I am defending is always worth it. If you were the innocent person who was being lynched, you'd be happy that I don't pull any punches in such situations.

Look at it this way: There is more truth than falsehood when I call Chris Cooper a thug. This is because I only call him a thug when progressives actively deny that he was threatening and menacing Amy Cooper in the park.

My use of the word thug emphasizes the point that he was threatening and menacing Amy Cooper in the park.

If there had not been a pack of progressives actively lying about what happened, there would never have been a need for me to call Chris Cooper a thug.
vikorr

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2021 04:44 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
I never regret doing so. The innocent person who I am defending is always worth it. If you were the innocent person who was being lynched, you'd be happy that I don't pull any punches in such situations.
If I were wrongly charged - you very well know I wouldn't want you defending me. People who fight dirty get other people (like the jury) offside, which makes the defendant less likelable, which means less relatable, which means less understandable and less believable....all of which makes a conviction more likely, not less likely.

And from another angle - people hate being manipulated, and the more intelligent members of the jury, who you want on your side, would object to such blatant attempts at emotional manipulation...again making them more likely to convict (not just because of the dislike of blatant attempts at manipulation, but the belief that if you are innocent, you don't need to manipulate the situation)

And from another angle - even if I were wrongly charged - I'd ban my defense from using that word. It would almost without doubt have the reverse effect on any members of the jury came from ancestory that had actually been lynched (obviously such usage being quite disrespectful to them)
Mame

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2021 05:35 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Look at it this way: There is more truth than falsehood when I call Chris Cooper a thug. This is because I only call him a thug when progressives actively deny that he was threatening and menacing Amy Cooper in the park.

My use of the word thug emphasizes the point that he was threatening and menacing Amy Cooper in the park.

If there had not been a pack of progressives actively lying about what happened, there would never have been a need for me to call Chris Cooper a thug.

What alternate reality are you living in? The video showed him calmly speaking to her, just asking her to leash her dog. How is that 'actively menacing' her?

Don't bother replying - I don't think we'll ever see the-to-eye on this one.

I see why you like Trump - you are identical in the way you twist reality.
vikorr

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2021 05:43 am
@Mame,
In contrast, you will find him describing the McMichaels who armed up, hunted down and killed Arbery (who was out jogging), as law abiding citizens who did nothing wrong. In his world, the death was the fault of the victim (for daring to defend his life). No description of the McMichales as thugs, despite their level of force, menace, and intimidation being a skyscraper next to a molehill that was the Coopers incident.
snood

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2021 05:44 am
@Mame,
Now you’ve got it.
In Oralloy’s world:
Trump is a good man and effective leader who will be president again.
Police who brutalize and murder are just defending themselves.
The 1/6/21 insurrection was a peaceful protest.
Black Lives Matter is a bunch of thugs who rape and murder innocent white people.

So, no use trying to reason with him...
Unless of course you can get some amusement from it. But he’s so far gone that even that isn’t likely.
oralloy

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2021 05:57 am
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
And from another angle - people hate being manipulated, and the more intelligent members of the jury, who you want on your side, would object to such blatant attempts at emotional manipulation...again making them more likely to convict (not just because of the dislike of blatant attempts at manipulation, but the belief that if you are innocent, you don't need to manipulate the situation)

Calling Chris Cooper a thug is not in any way manipulation.

That is the proper term to use for people who go around menacing women in the park.

vikorr wrote:
And from another angle - even if I were wrongly charged - I'd ban my defense from using that word. It would almost without doubt have the reverse effect on any members of the jury came from ancestory that had actually been lynched (obviously such usage being quite disrespectful to them)

There is no jury here. The only people who are being disrespected are the people who are trying to lynch an innocent person.

Lynch mob thugs deserve disrespect (and in this case it is a2k posters who I am calling thugs).
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2021 05:58 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
What alternate reality are you living in?

I live in the real world.

Mame wrote:
The video showed him calmly speaking to her, just asking her to leash her dog.

He only started his recording after he threatened her and made a move against her pet.

Mame wrote:
How is that 'actively menacing' her?

When someone threatens to do something that a person really isn't going to like, and then tries to grab their pet, that counts as actively menacing them.

Mame wrote:
Don't bother replying - I don't think we'll ever see the-to-eye on this one.

I will defend innocent people when you savage them.

Mame wrote:
I see why you like Trump - you are identical in the way you twist reality.

You cannot provide any examples of me twisting reality.

Given your track record of untrue accusations, your accusations against Mr. Trump are likely to be untrue as well.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2021 06:00 am
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
In contrast, you will find him describing the McMichaels who armed up, hunted down and killed Arbery (who was out jogging), as law abiding citizens who did nothing wrong.

Well, yes. In the wake of Amy Cooper, white people have the right to take the law into their own hands when they feel threatened by a minority.

They thought the jogger guy was a burglar, and they dealt with the problem.

vikorr wrote:
In his world, the death was the fault of the victim (for daring to defend his life).

Nonsense. I don't think anything of the sort.

vikorr wrote:
No description of the McMichales as thugs, despite their level of force, menace, and intimidation being a skyscraper next to a molehill that was the Coopers incident.

Like I said, in the wake of Amy Cooper, white people have the right to take the law into their own hands when they feel threatened by a minority.
vikorr

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2021 06:03 am
@oralloy,
You just made everyones 'case' against you, for them.
oralloy

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2021 06:07 am
@vikorr,
There is no "case" against me.

And it was wrong for you to mischaracterize my views. I don't think the jogger guy's death was his own fault. Let me speak for myself.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2021 06:08 am
@snood,
snood wrote:
In Oralloy's world:
Trump is a good man and effective leader who will be president again.

Well, I have not predicted that he will definitively win. But he has a reasonable shot at winning if he runs.

He is definitely a good man who did a good job as president.

snood wrote:
Police who brutalize and murder are just defending themselves.

You are wrong to characterize self defense as murder.

snood wrote:
The 1/6/21 insurrection was a peaceful protest.

There was no insurrection, and most of the protesters were in fact peaceful.

I have always acknowledged the assaults against police officers, and supported the prosecution of those who carried out the assaults.

snood wrote:
Black Lives Matter is a bunch of thugs who rape and murder innocent white people.

Well, that is their long-term goal.

Right now what they mostly do is whine because they are not allowed to murder police officers with impunity.

snood wrote:
So, no use trying to reason with him...

No use because you are incapable of reasoning.

Your inability to reason is your shortcoming, not mine.
farmerman

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2021 03:25 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:

Well, I have not predicted that he will definitively win.

Cjanged his tune. Before, he predicted a win by trump with Dems not winning the House or Senate for 20+ years.
oralloy

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2021 03:49 pm
@farmerman,
I never promised to make a prediction for every single election.

If I think I see a reason to make a prediction, I'll do so.

If not, I won't.
farmerman

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2021 04:03 pm
@oralloy,
trying to back out of those wrongedy predictions youve made eh?

Nice try.
oralloy

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2021 04:03 pm
@farmerman,
Don't be so dishonest. I've not tried to back out of anything.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 03:12:53