The Derek Chauvin Trial

roger

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2021 05:08 pm
@maxdancona,
Would he have died if he hadn't been put on the ground and had someone kneeling on his neck for over eight minutes?

I think I just stumbled on the proximate cause of death.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2021 05:11 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Would he have died if he hadn't been put on the ground and had someone kneeling on his neck for over eight minutes?

I think I just stumbled on the proximate cause of death.

I suspect that is one of the questions where the defense wants to create reasonable doubt.

A similar question is whether he would have died without the fentanyl in his system (I don't know the legal relevance of this question).

I think that the presence of Fentanyl in his system at the time of his death is something the defense will use to their favor.

roger

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2021 05:13 pm
@maxdancona,
Sure. They gotta try something.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2021 05:15 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Sure. They gotta try something.

I am not sure this is a slam dunk for the prosecution. They have the burden to prove to 12 jurors beyond a reasonable doubt.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2021 05:25 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Snood, I apologize to you for the "silly" comment. I do not apologize to Glitterbag, but there is history there which you are not a part of and I apologize that I dragged that onto your thread. I don't think your accusation of "every thread" is correct... but I will drop it.

That being said, I do think that any discussion of the trial should explore the issue from multiple sides. There will be a prosecution and a defense. And as much as people want this to be a clear cut case, some of the issues are not going to be that clear cut.

The defense has facts in its favor. So does the prosecution. Let's see what happens.

The jury is duty bound to consider all of the facts. Anyone who wants to understand the trial beyond the political fighting will have to do the same.

It just seems like you think you have to explain to people here concepts of the law in general, or aspects of this case in particular.

And you don’t.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2021 05:30 pm
@snood,
Snood.

I apologized and retracted my statement. Then I made my point without any insults.

That's the best I can do.

snood

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2021 05:40 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Snood.

I apologized and retracted my statement. Then I made my point without any insults.

That's the best I can do.

You’re probably right
maxdancona

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2021 05:44 pm
@snood,
You are right Snood. I am not very intelligent, you know.

Now can we drop this?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2021 05:44 pm
@snood,
Well, at least he tried.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2021 05:48 pm
Just for the record, it is Snood and Glitterbag who can't let this go.

Again, if they drop it, I will move on and we can discuss the topic.
snood

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2021 05:57 pm
@maxdancona,
Jesus man, does my last post look like I’m trying to argue? I was agreeing with you.

0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2021 06:31 pm
@maxdancona,
Oh, is this your thread now? You may not start the most thought provoking threads, but you sure like to redirect the ones that are. You used to ruin everything Edgarblyle ever started. You are the reason he doesn't post on A2K any longer.........and one other thing, why do you think I should drop out of a topic I have been posting on? Because that's what you want? Get stuffed you preening insufferable.
snood

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2021 07:04 pm
@glitterbag,
He does try to make things about him, doesn’t he?
maxdancona

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2021 07:23 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

You seem to be making things about me. Don't you. Let's move on (if you are OK with that). It is kind of hard for me to ignore snarky comments like this directed at me. If I were a better man, I would.

Now, if you drop it and get back on topic, I will do the same.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2021 07:33 pm
I am curious about the legal questions that can be raised by the defense. I am not even sure what the rules are. Consider these two questions.

1. Would Floyd have died is the police had not used the physical force (i.e. knee to the neck for 9 minutes)?

2. Would Floyd have died if he had not had a large amount of Fentanyl in his system (even with the application of physical force)?

These are two different questions. I wonder if the defense is allowed to ask the second question. And, if they can raise significant doubt in the jury if this will effect the verdict.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2021 10:20 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

He's kind of thin skinned, maybe he's had a hard life. Since you and I have always been able to dance on clouds, never suffered loss, born with silver spoons, and have lived in comfort as if we are charmed...sadly we sometimes forget that not everyone has had the advantages we take for granted.

In other words, we've been stinkers.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2021 10:27 pm
@glitterbag,
You kind of created this Glitterbag problem, Snood, when you encouraged her. Now she is spamming your thread.

I still think we should all just drop this and get back to the topic. I seem to be the only one here who still remembers what the topic was.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2021 10:47 pm
@snood,
I have allowed myself to behave badly because I became annoyed. I apologize Snood, this is a serious topic, it's a situation that needs to be treated with respect and deference. When the police kill a man in broad daylight and the entire ordeal is recorded second by second until his heart stops we really need to ask ourselves is this the best we can do. I see the image of Chauvin kneeling on Floyds neck and his hands are casually stuffed in his pockets...........this should never have happened. Last week we saw two mass shootings where the shooters were taken into custody and received decent treatment. Mr. Floyd was detained over the allegation of trying to pass a counterfeit $20.........was it a counterfeit? I haven't heard a peep about that.

Now, we are discussing the death of this man who had the life squeezed out of him in broad daylight, trying to determine if he contributed to his own death by walking around with an underlying health condition, and possibly a drug, even though he was able to speak clearly and tried to cooperate. Doesn't anyone see how ridiculous this is??? Of course we have to have a trial, I don't believe in vigilante justice. I expect a fair trial, frankly I insist on a fair and honest trial. I don't want to hear that Chauvin was under a lot of stress or just having a bad day.
oralloy

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2021 10:50 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
tried to cooperate.

I'm not really following this case, but I seem to recall something about the guy refusing to let the police put him in the back of a police car when they were trying to arrest him.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2021 10:56 pm
@oralloy,
Maybe you should look at the film of George Floyd being asphyxiated then you wouldn't have to try and recall.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 06:38:00