The Derek Chauvin Trial

vikorr

Reply Sun 30 May, 2021 02:45 am
@oralloy,
I understand it very well, and consider it in all situations. I just don't fail to consider other valid measurements as well - based around principles applied in context. You call this ridiculous, but rarely engage in any reasoned discussion of principle (when it doesn't favour your views), and often ignore reasoned discussion of context (when it doesn't favour your views) Ie. Perhaps it is your failure to do these last that makes you surprised by the first.

I also believe in personal responsibility for our own actions, and that we should be able to provide reasonable explanation why we did something. I don't expect us to be flawless - we are all human. I do expect that if we make a big enough 'mistake' (read, badly reasoned decision with very negative consequences), that there be consequences for same....because again, we are responsible for our own choices, and with responsibility, comes consequences, both positive and negative.
oralloy

Reply Sun 30 May, 2021 03:07 am
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
I understand it very well, and consider it in all situations.

It doesn't appear that way to me.

vikorr wrote:
I do expect that if we make a big enough 'mistake' (read, badly reasoned decision with very negative consequences), that there be consequences for same....because again, we are responsible for our own choices, and with responsibility, comes consequences, both positive and negative.

But that's not what you do.

When someone makes a big mistake and makes a badly reasoned decision, you deny that it could have been a mistake, and you insist that it must be malice instead.

You then insist that they not face the proper punishment for having made a huge mistake with very negative consequences, but instead face a more severe punishment that would be appropriate for a malicious act.

This makes you an agent of injustice.
vikorr

Reply Sun 30 May, 2021 03:08 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
When someone makes a big mistake and makes a badly reasoned decision, you deny that it could have been a mistake, and you insist that is must be malice instead.
You need to link & quote where I do either of these.

Of course if you are referring to the slaying of Arbery - those boys acted in malice, no matter what they told themselves. They had no good reason for:
- arming up (no reason to believed a jogger would be armed)
- hunting him down (no complaint against him, and no evidence of him stealing anything)
- pointing guns at him (complete strangers in a street, standing over Arbery in a vehicle, pointing guns at him)
- All of which resulted in Arbery fearing for his life and trying to protect himself, at which point they shot and killed him.
- Arberys actions were reasonable. The McMichaels were not. Nor were they a mistake, as at each stage, deliberate actions were taken, and the outcome was very, very foreseeable.
- but they still did it anyway

The McMichaels did wrong. Simple as that. Other than that, I don't see what you are referring to.
oralloy

Reply Sun 30 May, 2021 03:15 am
@vikorr,
Right here:
https://able2know.org/topic/556745-39#post-7122960

The whole post really. But here's one line from the post:

"From what I read though, there is no reasonableness where she could argue 'honest' belief:"
vikorr

Reply Sun 30 May, 2021 03:17 am
@oralloy,
Yep.

There is a difference between making a bad mistake, and making a mistake in honest belief of something. Both cases are making a mistake. There is no denying such (and nor did I). Just one is able to be reasoned on solid grounds, and the other is not.

And particularly when it comes to the law, and particularly with homicide - it makes a difference.

And as we are all responsible for our actions, consequences, and consequences in law, are part and parcel of that.
oralloy

Reply Sun 30 May, 2021 03:25 am
@vikorr,
I don't believe that there is any such distinction, in the law or otherwise.

If someone is making a mistake instead of acting in malice, then they are acting on their honest beliefs. Period.
oralloy

Reply Sun 30 May, 2021 03:28 am
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
Of course if you are referring to the slaying of Arbery - those boys acted in malice, no matter what they told themselves. They had no good reason for:
- arming up (no reason to believed a jogger would be armed)
- hunting him down (no complaint against him, and no evidence of him stealing anything)
- pointing guns at him (complete strangers in a street, standing over Arbery in a vehicle, pointing guns at him)
- All of which resulted in Arbery fearing for his life and trying to protect himself, at which point they shot and killed him.
- Arberys actions were reasonable. The McMichaels were not. Nor were they a mistake, as at each stage, deliberate actions were taken, and the outcome was very, very foreseeable.
- but they still did it anyway

The McMichaels did wrong. Simple as that. Other than that, I don't see what you are referring to.

I was not referring to that case. But your characterization of them is horribly inaccurate as well.

They did have a good reason for arming up, hunting him down, and (if they did so) pointing guns at him.

They suspected that he was a burglar. And people have every right to protect themselves from burglars.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sun 30 May, 2021 03:29 am
@oralloy,
From the Queensland Criminal Code Act

Quote:
24 Mistake of fact

(1)A person who does or omits to do an act under an honest and reasonable, but mistaken, belief in the existence of any state of things is not criminally responsible for the act or omission to any greater extent than if the real state of things had been such as the person believed to exist.
As far as I know, most jurisdictions have a similar rule, be it codified, or common law. I would be very surprised by a place that does not have a similar law.
vikorr

Reply Sun 30 May, 2021 03:32 am
Same, hence why I looked at the reasonableness of the belief.

Edit: oh hello, you removed 'that law is my exact position'
oralloy

Reply Sun 30 May, 2021 03:39 am
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
Edit: oh hello, you removed 'that law is my exact position'

I either missed the "and reasonable" or you edited it in. I don't know which and it really doesn't matter.

When I stated my agreement, I was not aware of the "and reasonable" part.

I'm still trying to decide what I think of the statute. I'll re-respond shortly.
vikorr

Reply Sun 30 May, 2021 03:41 am
@vikorr,
Found the same rule in Texas

You said "I don't believe that there is any such distinction, in the law or otherwise.". You are from Texas, right?
vikorr

Reply Sun 30 May, 2021 03:42 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
I either missed the "and reasonable" or you edited it in. I don't know which and it really doesn't matter.
I don't edit quotes - they are quotes. You can check the link. I cut & pasted from there.

The thing is, virtually everyone believes that reasonableness is necessary to justice. If you did not have a reasonableness test, then anyone could make up any lie they liked that met a defense law, and people would never go to jail...because it wouldn't matter how unreasonable the 'belief' (which may, or may not be a lie).

Your arguing against testing the reasonableness of a mistake is contrary to the interests of justice....and why I'd be incredibly surprised if it did not exist in every democratic juridisction.
oralloy

Reply Sun 30 May, 2021 03:51 am
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
You are from Texas, right?

Michigan.
oralloy

Reply Sun 30 May, 2021 03:52 am
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
From the Queensland Criminal Code Act

Quote:
24 Mistake of fact

(1)A person who does or omits to do an act under an honest and reasonable, but mistaken, belief in the existence of any state of things is not criminally responsible for the act or omission to any greater extent than if the real state of things had been such as the person believed to exist.
As far as I know, most jurisdictions have a similar rule, be it codified, or common law. I would be very surprised by a place that does not have a similar law.

My reading of this law is that it says that if someone kills someone in the mistaken belief that it was self defense, and the mistake was reasonable, then there is no crime at all.

I agree with that.

Look at it this way:

Reasonable Mistake = No Crime

Unreasonable Mistake = Manslaughter

Deliberate Killing = Murder

She made an unreasonable mistake. Therefore it is wrong and unjust for her to be convicted of murder. She is right to ask that her conviction be downgraded to manslaughter.
vikorr

Reply Sun 30 May, 2021 03:54 am
@oralloy,
Michigan
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sun 30 May, 2021 03:56 am
@oralloy,
See, manslaughter would arguably be right for her.

That is yet to be tested in court, and perhaps they will find that the case. There just is a lot going against her. Of course the line between manslaughter and murder does differ between jurisdictions, so we may just be arguing semantics on that point.
oralloy

Reply Sun 30 May, 2021 03:59 am
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
The thing is, virtually everyone believes that reasonableness is necessary to justice. If you did not have a reasonableness test, then anyone could make up any lie they liked that met a defense law, and people would never go to jail...because it wouldn't matter how unreasonable the 'belief' (which may, or may not be a lie).

Your arguing against testing the reasonableness of a mistake is contrary to the interests of justice....and why I'd be incredibly surprised if it did not exist in every democratic juridisction.

I accept a reasonableness distinction where a reasonable mistake means no crime at all was committed.

What I object to is the idea of that an unreasonable mistake must be treated the same as malice.
oralloy

Reply Sun 30 May, 2021 04:00 am
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:
See, manslaughter would arguably be right for her.

I agree. But your post that I objected to argued against such a downgrade.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sun 30 May, 2021 04:02 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
What I object to is the idea of that an unreasonable mistake must be treated the same as malice.
I don't think it is.

That said, perhaps you are confusing taking a persons words at face value in such situations (which isn't wise, because people will often say self serving things when either caught in a bad mistake, caught in a crime, or just worried about how something looks), with applying tests that find problems with their statements, and with the results of all tests together look like. There are a lot of degrees before a conclusion of malice is reached.
oralloy

Reply Sun 30 May, 2021 04:04 am
@vikorr,
I believe she was telling the truth. It looks like an honest mistake.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 03:42:20