The Derek Chauvin Trial

Below viewing threshold (view)
BillRM

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2021 09:51 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

But one with computer skills to write a bot.

Voting should be limited to users with some history of postings over at least a short period of time otherwise we get a pattern of voting that seems to show that some of us are playing games with the voting system.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2021 03:52 pm
@snood,
I don't think she will. They appear to want to argue that she acted under an honest but mistaken belief that she was in her appartment (and therefore within her right to shoot him...I don't get that law, but it's a different country).

From what I read though, there is no reasonableness where she could argue 'honest' belief:
- there was a different door mat
- the furniture would be different to hers
- the furniture setup would be different to hers
- the guy was sitting on a couch (how many burglars do that?)
- the guy was in evening at home clothes
- the guy looked innocent (ie. not like a hardened criminal)
- the first reaction of a person whose home has been entered unlawfully is either a look of surprise or outrage (while criminals would be fear or hositility)
- the first words out of any surprised persons mouth is 'what are you doing / get out of my house / what the? / etc.

- she'd be trying to say she didn't find this very, very strange..and not at all at odds with her belief she was in her own appartment. I don't think anyone would buy that.
- she didn't ask him 'what are you doing in my appartment'

I'd be incredibly surprised if they managed to get the killing downgraded to manslaughter.
Linkat

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2021 04:00 pm
@vikorr,
Quote:
don't think she will. They appear to want to argue that she acted under an honest but mistaken belief that she was in her appartment (and therefore within her right to shoot him...I don't get that law, but it's a different country).

Depends on the state not the country - I cannot imagine in MA for instance that this would be within your right. Most states you cannot just shoot someone even in your own apartment - you would need to have your life endangered in order for it to be justifiable. So I still question this - a few states it is a more free for all - but most you do not have a right to shoot someone even if they broke into your home - unless like I said your life was in danger.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 08:51:57