man arrested for competing as female athlete?

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 08:16 am
HARARE, Zimbabwe (Reuters) -- A Zimbabwean court has jailed a man masquerading as a female athlete, court officials said on Thursday.

Samukeliso Sithole -- a triple jumper and runner who competed as a woman at several international sports events -- was convicted on charges of impersonation and offending the dignity of a woman athlete who undressed in his presence, unaware he was a man.

"He was sentenced to four years imprisonment, but six months were suspended. Effectively he will serve three-and-a-half years," said a court official in Kwekwe, central Zimbabwe, where the case was heard.

Sithole won a gold medal at a regional tournament in Botswana in June last year and won five medals at a youth championship in Mauritius. He also competed in javelin and shot-put competitions.

Sithole told the court at his first appearance that he had both female and male organs and that he lived as a woman after consulting a traditional healer. A medical examination showed that he was a man.

What he couldn't make it competing with the guys? and did he honestly believe they wouldn't verify his claim to have both male and female "parts"?

source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 765 • Replies: 5
No top replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 05:49 pm
http://www.africathle.com/perso/actu/2003/Ssithole2.JPG

Who would have thought?!
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 05:55 pm
This one is great, according to BBC News:

"Ms Sithole said she was born with both male and female sexual organs and a traditional healer had made the penis disappear but it had since regrown. She told the court that the penis had returned because the healer had not been fully paid for his services. She said that she had already arranged to pay the healer on 3 March, the day her trial is set to start, and so she expected her penis to disappear once more, according to the state-run Herald newspaper. "

S/he's only 17.
Probably a transsexual person who, instead of going through hormones and surgeons, applied to magic.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 07:33 am
but didn't they do a physical exam and realize that he had no female sexual organs at all? i thought i read that in the previous article. oh wait it said that a medical exam showed him to be male.

weird, but he would have never fooled the olumpics. They test you for Barr bodies which means you have to be genetically XX female to compete (thus excluding any XY females who are genetically male, but do develop as females due to a malfunction in whatever produces testosterone). i was blown away by this whole thing...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 04:35 pm
Seventeen--high school age.

If s/he was living at home, didn't his/her parents notice what sex s/he was competing with.

If s/he lived in a dormitory?

Questions.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 07:33 am
my fear is that is a showing of culture. i am guessing in his/her culture that s/he was deemed a woman for whatever reason? s/he may not even know what they did was wrong. then again, s/he did lie to the court and say they had both male and female "parts" but only to show by medical exam it was a man.

i have no idea about the parents. didn't see that. will look some more...
0 Replies