Do we have Souls?

neologist

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 08:48 am
Bella Dea wrote:
Matter and energy cannot be destroyed, only changed. So that proves that we are something after death. Which can be called the soul or whatever else you want to call it. There is your proof. We continue after death because we cannot be destroyed.
A huge non sequitur. We are made of dust.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 08:52 am
And dust isn't matter?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 08:58 pm
Dust is incapable of thought. Idea
I know. Exclamation
I once tried to interview a dust bunny for a college project. Smile
Whenever I said anything to it, it ran away. Sad
Then I got it cornered under the bed. Rolling Eyes
When my roommate saw me he told the whole dorm. Shocked
I've never been so humiliated. Embarrassed
The dust bunny could have cared less. Mad
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 08:45 am
Yeah...that isn't what I said. Matter is defined as:

2 a : the substance of which a physical object is composed (of MANY definitions)

Dust is a physical object. So therefor it is matter.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 09:20 am
And you are saying your consciousness, which was non existent before birth, somehow continues when you become dust?

The bible doesn't support that contention. But what does your intellect say?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 08:47 am
No I didn't say my intellect continues on after death. I personally believe that we do continue on with some level of consciousness. However, from a scientific "proof" stand point, I just said that we continue on in some form. Not necessarily with consciousness but in some form.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 09:31 am
In God's memory?
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 11:39 pm
Futurist wrote:
I think the bible indicates soul has memory, so that after resurrection, the people will remember what they did in the past, and so be judged according to what they did.

Excellent point, Futch! So, tell me, uh, if you're that well-versed in the WORD, what was the original question for? I have a feeling that you're really someone else in disguise..... :wink:
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 12:17 am
neologist wrote:
Dust is incapable of thought. Idea
I know. Exclamation
I once tried to interview a dust bunny for a college project. Smile
Whenever I said anything to it, it ran away. Sad
Then I got it cornered under the bed. Rolling Eyes
When my roommate saw me he told the whole dorm. Shocked
I've never been so humiliated. Embarrassed
The dust bunny could have cared less. Mad

ROTFL! ROTFL! Neo, PLEEZ stay on topic, will ya? Very Happy
0 Replies

Futurist

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 12:46 am
diagknowz wrote:
Excellent point, Futch! So, tell me, uh, if you're that well-versed in the WORD, what was the original question for? I have a feeling that you're really someone else in disguise..... :wink:
I am a baptized christians since 1992. I read the whole bible and studied theology from time to time. I am a graduate of Mechanical Engineering, but i am interested in philosophy, literature and religion. I think profoundly the question of life and meaning. I think Jesus could be true, but I have doubt he will come back again!
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 12:58 am
Futurist wrote:
I am a baptized christians since 1992. I read the whole bible and studied theology from time to time. I am a graduate of Mechanical Engineering, but i am interested in philosophy, literature and religion. I think profoundly the question of life and meaning. I think Jesus could be true, but I have doubt he will come back again!

OK, puzzle resolved, Futch! Smile But now there's a new puzzle for me: you say you're a baptized Christian, yet you "think Jesus could be true" and you "doubt He will come back again." Help me understand, here: what was the nature of your baptism? In other words, for example, when I myself was baptized (at age 21), I did so precisely to publically proclaim that I was convinced (amongst other things) that He is the ONLY way to be reconciled with God, that He is the only LORD and Savior of mankind, and that my whole hope is in Him alone (not in any other teacher or philosophy, not in my own righteousness or abilities, not in my money [what little of it I had, LOL!]). So, when you were baptized, what were you "saying" by doing it?
0 Replies

Futurist

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 01:19 am
The time I was baptized, I only read books supporting Christianity, therefore I was rather brain-wahsed and had no doubt about Bible. But, starting from year 2000, I read a lot of stuff in internet that trying to disprove Christianity, I started to think about the bible from other points of view, therefore, I am no longer brain-washed as last time.
Anyway, I keep on reading apologetics and hope that Jesus is True God so that to solve my biggest question of "Is life meaningful?"
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 01:27 am
Futurist wrote:
The time I was baptized, I only read books supporting Christianity, therefore I was rather brain-wahsed and had no doubt about Bible. But, starting from year 2000, I read a lot of stuff in internet that trying to disprove Christianity, I started to think about the bible from other points of view, therefore, I am no longer brain-washed as last time.
Anyway, I keep on reading apologetics and hope that Jesus is True God so that to solve my biggest question of "Is life meaningful?"

Hmmnnn, I see, Futch. So, when you were baptized, what exactly were you "saying" by going thru baptism? What did it mean to you?
0 Replies

Futurist

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 01:32 am
Probably it was just a ceremony to join church officially so that i can partake Eucharist.
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 01:56 am
Futurist wrote:
Probably it was just a ceremony to join church officially so that i can partake Eucharist.

So, it was the Catholic church, then?
0 Replies

Futurist

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 02:07 am
No, it is Baptist church.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2005 02:32 am
I don't know if spirit or soul would be the correct word to describe it, but yes we do have souls. I call it the life force.
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Tue 19 Jul, 2005 08:35 pm
Futurist wrote:
No, it is Baptist church.

Hmmmnnn, that's odd, Futch, bec. "partake of the Eucharist" is not Baptist terminology; it's Catholic. Be that as it may, I'm still puzzled (you are a fascinating "case" Very Happy ): why was partaking of the Eucharist so important to you?
0 Replies

Futurist

Reply Wed 20 Jul, 2005 12:00 am
to feel part of the church, be indentified with other people.
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Thu 21 Jul, 2005 10:48 pm
Futurist wrote:
to feel part of the church, be indentified with other people.

So, Futch, your baptism really wasn't so much Christ-directed, but rather church-directed? You saw it as a rite that allowed you to be closer to people at church?
0 Replies