• Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,808 • Replies: 39
No top replies

diagknowz

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 07:52 pm
Re: Do we have Souls?
Futurist wrote:
Can we prove it? What is the strong evidence? Confused

"Prove it" in what sense, Futurist? There are different kinds of "proof," as in empirical (you can either taste, touch, smell, see, or hear it), or logical, or historical (which is corroborated by reliable witnesses).

My conviction is this: God Himself in Jesus Christ, who was resurrected (that's the "proof" of His credentials, mind you), died on the Cross to rescue souls (a) from the power of sin's slavery, and (b) from the penalty of sin (ultimate destination: Hell). One of His most notable references to the soul is in Matt. 10:28: "Fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear Him Who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell."

Question for you: can you prove that love really exists? Or freedom? Or hate?
0 Replies

Futurist

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 07:55 pm
If soul is part of my essence, why i can't feel it now? I think I only have mind!
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 08:08 pm
According to Genesis 2:7: "And Jehovah God proceeded to form the man out of dust from the ground and to blow into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man came to be a living soul"

Notice that Adam came to be a soul. He did not have a soul. Animals also are souls. (Genesis 1:20)

Your soul is you.

Solomon wrote:
For the living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all. (Ecclesiastes 9:5)

So when you're dead, you're dead.
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 08:16 pm
Futurist wrote:
If soul is part of my essence, why i can't feel it now? I think I only have mind!

What would you expect to "feel," Futurist? Do you "feel" your brain, or your bladder, or your lungs? (I know, those can be operated on; that's not my point. I mean that "feeling" is not proof of the existence or non-existence of something.)

Question: why the concern about the soul?
0 Replies

Futurist

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 09:15 pm
My brain stores my memory, after i had died, how can my soul still have memory of my past history, where does the soul store memory?
0 Replies

Futurist

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 09:16 pm
neologist wrote:
According to Genesis 2:7: "And Jehovah God proceeded to form the man out of dust from the ground and to blow into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man came to be a living soul"

Notice that Adam came to be a soul. He did not have a soul. Animals also are souls. (Genesis 1:20)

Your soul is you.

So when you're dead, you're dead.
You mean we are made of matter only?
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 09:21 pm
No, Futurist, it says that God breathed into him----that's the soul.
0 Replies

Futurist

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 09:24 pm
diagknowz wrote:
Answer me, how can a soul remember its past?
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 09:24 pm
Futurist wrote:
My brain stores my memory, after i had died, how can my soul still have memory of my past history, where does the soul store memory?

Excellent question, Futurist! Very Happy That's one of the many I have myself. But since I am but a speck of dust, I am content to know that there's a Shepherd of my soul who knows all about those unanswered questions, and who revealed to me what I NEED to know in His WORD.
0 Replies

Futurist

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 09:26 pm
So, Diag, you just trust the Bible 100% of what it says? No doubt at all? Are you confident with it? Jesus surely is God, the shepherd of your soul? He had died long time ago, and never came back till now, can't he be a lier?
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 09:29 pm
Futurist wrote:
diagknowz wrote:
Answer me, how can a soul remember its past?

Hey, we both sent out our messages at the same time! :wink: OK, pure speculation here (bec. the Bible doesn't really answer that question): I'm not really sure that the soul will "remember" the past, bec. the Bible says that those who spend eternity with God (in The Perfect Place of Bliss) will feel nothing but joy and peace and contentment. If there were memory of past things, that would seem to include unhappy things. On the other hand, perhaps the soul will only recall the pleasant memories. I don't know, bec. that's not one of the questions the Bible answers (it had to be portable, you see, so it doesn't answer EVERYthing, just the things needful for knowing about the most important topics of life).
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 09:32 pm
Futurist wrote:
So, Diag, you just trust the Bible 100% of what it says? No doubt at all? Are you confident with it? Jesus surely is God, the shepherd of your soul? He had died long time ago, and never came back till now, can't he be a lier?

Yup, trust it 100%, Futch! Smile Don't understand it 100%, bec. it's God's Word, and I'm just a mere mortal, but I know that Jesus Himself gave it His full stamp of approval, so I trust His judgment.

He died, but He rose again, Futch! That's the whole basis of His credentials and the credentials of the Christian faith. He lives right now, at the right hand of the Father, (amongst other things) interceding for those who have received His deliverance.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 11:04 pm
diagknowz wrote:
Pay attention. The idea that there is a soul that can survive death is a pagan teaching not supported by the bible.

That is not to say there is no hope of resurrection. There is but it is not automatic.
0 Replies

Futurist

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 11:15 pm
Quote:
I'm not really sure that the soul will "remember" the past,
Rev 11:18 And the nations were angry, and your wrath has come, and the time for the dead to be judged, and the time of reward for your servants, the prophets, and for the saints, and for those in whom is the fear of your name, small and great, and the time of destruction for those who made the earth unclean.
[/b]If the sinners' souls have no memory, how can they be judged, they can say that they do not remember anything of the charges brought unto them. For example, if you kill a man in insomnia, are you guilty of it? I think the bible indicates soul has memory, so that after resurrection, the people will remember what they did in the past, and so be judged according to what they did.
0 Replies

Futurist

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 11:17 pm
Quote:
Pay attention. The idea that there is a soul that can survive death is a pagan teaching not supported by the bible.
The NT teaches that people have soul.

Quote:
Luk 12:20 But God said to him, You foolish one, tonight I will take your soul from you, and who then will be the owner of all the things which you have got together?
0 Replies

MinDSaY

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 04:44 am
I don't believe in God or anything but I do believe that people have souls. I don't know why but I go with my instincts.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 08:31 am
Futurist wrote:
Quote:
The NT teaches that people have soul.

Quote:
Luk 12:20 But God said to him, You foolish one, tonight I will take your soul from you, and who then will be the owner of all the things which you have got together?
Your soul is you - your life. If you lose your life, you lose your soul.

The dead are unconscious. In the resurrection, they will remember just as those resurrected by Jesus knew who they were.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 08:35 am
Futurist wrote:

How can you prove that you have any mind, or free will? HOw can you prove that your mind is directing you versus some big "computer game". AKA, the Matrix type deal.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 08:36 am
Matter and energy cannot be destroyed, only changed. So that proves that we are something after death. Which can be called the soul or whatever else you want to call it. There is your proof. We continue after death because we cannot be destroyed.
0 Replies