formatting numbers - decimal point

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 12:08 pm
hello to everyone!
i wonder if someone can help with what, i suspect, is a fairly easy solution to a formatting problem?

i need to know how to set cell formatting to enter an automatic 2 place decimal point with out striking the decimal point key.

for instance...in entering 2349 <enter>i want 23.49 to appear not 2349.

thanks in advance for your replies!!!!
Bert Hayford
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 528 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Wy

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 10:54 am
The only way I know how to do this in a program like Excel or Word is to use two columns, one for the numbers you want on either side of the decimal. But then you'd have to hit the Tab key between them and if you're trying to eliminate keystrokes, it's the same either way...

You might be able to write a macro to convert all the numbers after you've typed them; I don't know how you'd go about it though.

Why do you want to eliminate striking the decimal key?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 11:00 am
Make a column in which to enter numbers, and put a formula in the next column that divides that number by 100 (for instance, in B1 put "=A1/100").

Then, after you've put all the numbers in, copy the column with the decimals, then use "Paste special" to paste just the values over the formulas. Then delete the first column.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 11:03 am
What program? In Peachtree it's a piece of cake, but it's a global option and will produce automatic decimal placement throughout the entire program.

For Excel, see the above answers
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2005 11:38 am
Nice! I've learned something! As you can maybe tell, I'm neither an expert on spreadsheet programs nor a mathematician (I'm barely an arithmeticarian!)...
0 Replies