How stupid is Trump?

coluber2001

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2022 01:43 pm
The New York Times
When the World is Led by a Child
David Brooks
May 16, 2017

At certain times Donald Trump has seemed like a budding authoritarian, a corrupt Nixon, a rabble-rousing populist or a big business corporatist.

But as Trump has settled into his White House role, he has given a series of long interviews, and when you study the transcripts it becomes clear that fundamentally he is none of these things.

At base, Trump is an infantalist. There are three tasks that most mature adults have sort of figured out by the time they hit 25. Trump has mastered none of them. Immaturity is becoming the dominant note of his presidency, lack of self-control his leitmotif.

First, most adults have learned to sit still. But mentally, Trump is still a 7-year-old boy who is bouncing around the classroom. Trump’s answers in these interviews are not very long — 200 words at the high end — but he will typically flit through four or five topics before ending up with how unfair the press is to him.

His inability to focus his attention makes it hard for him to learn and master facts. He is ill informed about his own policies and tramples his own talking points. It makes it hard to control his mouth. On an impulse, he will promise a tax reform when his staff has done little of the actual work.

Second, most people of drinking age have achieved some accurate sense of themselves, some internal criteria to measure their own merits and demerits. But Trump seems to need perpetual outside approval to stabilize his sense of self, so he is perpetually desperate for approval, telling heroic fabulist tales about himself.

“In a short period of time I understood everything there was to know about health care,” he told Time. “A lot of the people have said that, some people said it was the single best speech ever made in that chamber,” he told The Associated Press, referring to his joint session speech.

By Trump’s own account, he knows more about aircraft carrier technology than the Navy. According to his interview with The Economist, he invented the phrase “priming the pump” (even though it was famous by 1933). Trump is not only trying to deceive others. His falsehoods are attempts to build a world in which he can feel good for an instant and comfortably deceive himself.

He is thus the all-time record-holder of the Dunning-Kruger effect, the phenomenon in which the incompetent person is too incompetent to understand his own incompetence. Trump thought he’d be celebrated for firing James Comey. He thought his press coverage would grow wildly positive once he won the nomination. He is perpetually surprised because reality does not comport with his fantasies.

Third, by adulthood most people can perceive how others are thinking. For example, they learn subtle arts such as false modesty so they won’t be perceived as obnoxious.

But Trump seems to have not yet developed a theory of mind. Other people are black boxes that supply either affirmation or disapproval. As a result, he is weirdly transparent. He wants people to love him, so he is constantly telling interviewers that he is widely loved. In Trump’s telling, every meeting was scheduled for 15 minutes but his guests stayed two hours because they liked him so much.

Which brings us to the reports that Trump betrayed an intelligence source and leaked secrets to his Russian visitors. From all we know so far, Trump didn’t do it because he is a Russian agent, or for any malevolent intent. He did it because he is sloppy, because he lacks all impulse control, and above all because he is a 7-year-old boy desperate for the approval of those he admires.

The Russian leak story reveals one other thing, the dangerousness of a hollow man.

Our institutions depend on people who have enough engraved character traits to fulfill their assigned duties. But there is perpetually less to Trump than it appears. When we analyze a president’s utterances we tend to assume that there is some substantive process behind the words, that it’s part of some strategic intent.

But Trump’s statements don’t necessarily come from anywhere, lead anywhere or have a permanent reality beyond his wish to be liked at any given instant.

We’ve got this perverse situation in which the vast analytic powers of the entire world are being spent trying to understand a guy whose thoughts are often just six fireflies beeping randomly in a jar.

“We badly want to understand Trump, to grasp him,” David Roberts writes in Vox. “It might give us some sense of control, or at least an ability to predict what he will do next. But what if there’s nothing to understand? What if there is no there there?”

And out of that void comes a carelessness that quite possibly betrayed an intelligence source, and endangered a country.

https://www.hiiraan.com/op4/2017/may/142159/when_the_world_is_led_by_a_child.aspx

0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2022 05:02 pm
https://iili.io/662vII.jpg
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2022 07:19 pm
DOJ Hits Back In Trump Criminal Probe, Appealing Review For Secrets Trump Stole - The Beat - MSNBC

The Department of Justice is appealing the judge's ruling for a "special master" to review the documents seized from Trump's Mar-a-Lago home. This new legal move coming after losing a procedural step in court. The appeal talks about "possessory interest", which MSNBC's Ari Melber and former FBI agent and lawyer, Asha Rangappa, explained refers to the idea that Trump stole the documents and therefore has no possession or related interest in them, legally. - Aired on 09/08/2022.

0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2022 07:52 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
You stated an opinion. I challenged what you said. You could have countered what I said, but you didn't. You can't defend your position, so no one should take what you said seriously.

I guess what you do here is to say a lot of incorrect things you can't defend and when someone challenges them, just flit onto the next erroneous statement.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 8 Sep, 2022 11:32 pm
@Brandon9000,
You are sooooo tedious. Has it occurred to you that others find you so tedious they can't stand the idea of additional conversations?????? You're content congratulating yourself over all of these imaginary wins make you sound seriously foolish footed. Stop embarrassing yourself, please.
Below viewing threshold (view)
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2022 04:42 am
@Builder,
Quote:
Persevere. It pisses people off.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2022 04:54 am

https://iili.io/PHoRGp.jpg
hightor

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2022 08:58 am
Judge throws out Trump's RICO lawsuit against Hillary Clinton and Democrats
BillW

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2022 09:22 am
@hightor,
Frivolous lawsuit as to his entire life!
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2022 01:32 pm
More Satire from the Borowitz Report

Putin Says He Is Losing War in Ukraine Because F.B.I. Seized Stuff He Needed.

By Andy Borowitz

September 9, 2022

Amid reports that the Russian front has collapsed near Kharkiv, Vladimir Putin complained that the only reason he is losing the war in Ukraine is that the F.B.I. recently seized stuff he needed.

“I’m not going to go into detail, but there were things I needed, very important things, that the F.B.I. has confiscated that should have been sent to me,” the Russian President said. “If I had those things right now, I wouldn’t be getting my ass kicked all over Kharkiv.”

The fact that materials intended for him are in the hands of the F.B.I. has made him question “whether America is really a democracy,” he said.

“I think if you pay for something—and I mean pay in cash—it should be sent to you,” he said. “Hopefully the special master will straighten all this out.”
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2022 04:49 am

Armed man in clown wig hoping to ‘restore Trump as President king'
arrested at Dairy Queen in Pennsylvania

(nydailynews)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2022 11:10 pm
Ronald S. Lauder, the Estée Lauder heir, offered himself up as back-channel negotiator to purchase Greenland from Denmark, a new book says. Denmark said no. NYT
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2022 03:56 am
https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1643687781l/60246687.jpg

Quote:
During the presidency of President Donald Trump, it became evident to me that the prophecies about the Son of Man, as predicted by Jesus in the Bible were, to a significant extent, fulfilled at the hands of Mr Trump. The Bible speaks about two different Christs-or Messiahs. Jesus, the Son of God is the one Christ, whereas the Son of Man is the other. Jesus always referred to the Son of Man in the third person. The greatest distinction or significance between the Son of Man and the Son of God (the Lamb) is their respective positions at the throne of God. There are numerous differences between the Son of God and the Son of Man, but overall, people read these scriptures and they do not realize that the Son of God (the Lamb) stands in front of the throne of God, whereas the Son of Man, is positioned on the right hand of God. Jesus spoke about two different killings in the four gospels of the New Testament. People read these scriptures and are unaware that Jesus (the Son of God) predicted his own killing in the first person, as opposed to the several prophecies that He made in respects to the Son of Man who will be crucified. The New Testament speaks about "two Kings;" Jesus, the Son of God, is the "King of the Jews," whereas the Son of Man is the "King of Kings" who will be a world-ruler, and He will rule all the nations (the tribes) of the earth with a rod of iron. This book will explain in depth how "Donald John Trump's" full name literally means: "The Ruler of the World, graced by Yahweh (the LORD) and a descendant of a Drummer." Upon reading this book, the reader will be captivated when they realize how President Donald John Trump fulfilled most of the prophecies as the Son of Man. It speaks about End Time Prophecies and Biblical revelations regarding "President Donald J. Trump, the Son of Man. The Christ."

goodreads
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2022 06:32 am
@Region Philbis,
Who forced him to shower???
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2022 06:36 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
Stop embarrassing yourself, please.

Au contraire, please allow him to continue making a monumental ass of himself.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2022 06:41 am
@Brandon9000,
You are unable to understand basic debate. You have to disprove the point, I do not have any obligation to disprove your opinion. That must have been one terrible brain injury you suffered. My proof is: it's so obvious. Now you get to disprove the injury or its effect.

Dumbass.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2022 10:38 am
bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2022 07:13 am
Trump is helping Garland and he doesn't know it.
Trump is a cornered narcissist and he will make big mistakes. Threatening garland will backfire on Trump. By Trump saying there will be violence if he is indicted is an act of desperation.

It is possible one of the charges Garland could bring against Trump is inciting a riot on J6. I have no doubt Trump will incite violence if he is indicted and that will bolster the evidence Trump incited a riot on J6.

Trump is also telling lies about the secret documents, which proves he has no defense. His lawyers cannot repeat those lies in a court of law. Trump can play his game of delay, but it will not stop the inevitable. He is going to be indicted.

Everyday he makes Garlands job easier.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2022 07:19 am
@coluber2001,
0 Replies