R.I.P. The 1st amendment 1791-2021

longjon

Wed 3 Feb, 2021 03:52 am
@hightor,
Tucker Carlson proved that this "study" is bogus, the equivalent to the tobacco industry releasing a "study" that says that cigarettes are safe for children.

So naturally tiny brained leftists lapped it up.
hightor

Wed 3 Feb, 2021 04:50 am
@longjon,
Quote:
Tucker Carlson proved...

Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

hightor

Wed 3 Feb, 2021 05:06 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
The Supreme Court is supposed to enforce the Constitution as it is written.

Quote:
The government is violating the Constitution by failing to have a militia by the way. The first half of the Second Amendment requires the government to keep up a militia to ensure the nation's security.

But what you're admitting here is that the Supreme Court doesn't enforce the Constitution. So why should we expect any particular interpretation of the 1st Amendment, given the shoddy treatment of the 2nd?

Quote:
People who are not in the militia still have the right to have guns for private self defense.

This is simply a political interpretation of convenience and could be reinterpreted and overturned at a later date by a different court. The 2nd Amendment should be repealed as the anachronism it is. Reasonable gun regulations could be drawn up under a federal statute — ownership would no longer be a constitutional right but a legally permitted one.
oralloy

Wed 3 Feb, 2021 07:26 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
But what you're admitting here is that the Supreme Court doesn't enforce the Constitution.

Not nearly as well as they should. They are slowly getting better though.

hightor wrote:
So why should we expect any particular interpretation of the 1st Amendment, given the shoddy treatment of the 2nd?

The correct interpretation of any amendment is easy enough for people to determine for themselves. There is always a little bit of room for reasonable differences in interpretation, but overall the Constitution is really very clearly written.

hightor wrote:
This is simply a political interpretation of convenience

That is incorrect. It is a fact that the right to keep and bear arms includes people's right to have guns for private self defense.

hightor wrote:
and could be reinterpreted and overturned at a later date by a different court.

This is why it is important to vote for Republicans. They appoint judges who uphold the Constitution.

hightor wrote:
The 2nd Amendment should be repealed as the anachronism it is.

This is one reason why progressives are evil.

Freedom is not an anachronism, and we should never repeal freedom in America.

hightor wrote:
Reasonable gun regulations could be drawn up

Reasonable gun regulations can be drawn up right now.

If a gun regulation is truly reasonable, it will be easy enough to justify that regulation as serving a compelling government interest.

The reason why progressives want to eliminate our freedom is so they can impose unreasonable gun regulations.

hightor wrote:
under a federal statute

The Tenth Amendment would argue that gun regulations should be enacted at the state level and not federal, but that's a separate issue from the Second Amendment.

hightor wrote:
ownership would no longer be a constitutional right but a legally permitted one.

It would be better for America to be destroyed than to live a single day without freedom.
hightor

Wed 3 Feb, 2021 08:44 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
They are slowly getting better though.

The Establishment clause has taken a beating.
Quote:

The correct interpretation of any amendment is easy enough for people to determine for themselves.

Is that a realistic option? I thought that's why we have courts.
Quote:
It is a fact that the right to keep and bear arms includes people's right to have guns for private self defense.

Couldn't the types of firearms for self defense (as opposed to militia training) be regulated?
Quote:
They appoint judges who uphold the Constitution.

They uphold a corporate-friendly interpretation of the Constitution.
Quote:
This is one reason why progressives are evil.

Casting your political opponents as "evil" is unnecessary and detracts from the effectiveness of your argument. It's a form of name-calling.
Quote:
Freedom is not an anachronism...

But the laws which fail to recognize the social effects of allowing near universal access to firearms and fail to recognize the difference between flintlock rifles and modern weapons can certainly be anachronistic.
Quote:
...and we should never repeal freedom in America.

You can't repeal "freedom". But it is commonly restricted in certain cases.
Quote:
It would be better for America to be destroyed than to live a single day without freedom.

I've lived without the freedom to do many things. It's not the living hell you make it out to be. I've seen "freedom" turned into some sort of cultural fetish by totally irresponsible people and used in a coercive and/or exploitative manner...that sort of "freedom" is destructive to society.
oralloy

Wed 3 Feb, 2021 10:22 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
The Establishment clause has taken a beating.

I haven't noticed.

hightor wrote:
Is that a realistic option? I thought that's why we have courts.

The courts have the force of law behind their rulings. But when the courts fail to adhere to the Constitution, it is realistic for the people to use Freedom of Speech to speak out against it.

Ideally future judges will listen to the people's arguments and issue new rulings to correct the erroneous rulings of the past.

We might not have had the Heller ruling if people had not spoken out that the courts were disregarding the Second Amendment.

hightor wrote:
Couldn't the types of firearms for self defense (as opposed to militia training) be regulated?

Yes. But the regulations have to be justified as serving a compelling government interest.

This is an easy bar to clear if there is an actual good reason for a gun regulation.

It's only the regulations that have no justification that run into trouble with the Second Amendment.

hightor wrote:
They uphold a corporate-friendly interpretation of the Constitution.

Perhaps. But at least we're slowly getting the Second Amendment back. I'm willing to suffer quite a bit in order to get the Second Amendment enforced.

hightor wrote:
Casting your political opponents as "evil" is unnecessary and detracts from the effectiveness of your argument. It's a form of name-calling.

Progressives deliberately harm innocent people for no reason. I don't know what else to call them.

hightor wrote:
But the laws which fail to recognize the social effects of allowing near universal access to firearms and fail to recognize the difference between flintlock rifles and modern weapons can certainly be anachronistic.

How do laws fail to recognize the difference?

Ownership of new full-auto weapons has been federally prohibited since 1986. Pre-1986 full-autos are now expensive collectors items. Federal explosives regulations also make grenades and bazookas unobtainable to the general public.

Some state governments go even further and outlaw all full-auto weapons, and also restrict the magazine capacity of semi-auto weapons.

hightor wrote:
You can't repeal "freedom". But it is commonly restricted in certain cases.

Eliminating the right to keep and bear arms is eliminating freedom.

hightor wrote:
I've lived without the freedom to do many things. It's not the living hell you make it out to be.

Death is preferable.

hightor wrote:
I've seen "freedom" turned into some sort of cultural fetish by totally irresponsible people and used in a coercive and/or exploitative manner...that sort of "freedom" is destructive to society.

I've never had any negative experiences with freedom.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Thu 4 Feb, 2021 08:09 am
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

Again, give me a quotation in which Trump solicited any illegal behavior. Obviously you cannot because he did not.

Do you acknowledge that some speech is not protected by the first amendment? It is pretty useless to show you the speech in question if you refuse to believe that such speech is possibly illegal.

What a huge production just to keep from giving evidence for your assertion! You claim that Trump somehow solicited illegal behavior. I agree that there is such a thing as solicitation of illegal behavior. I claim that he didn't do that. I'm getting sick of begging you to provide evidence for what you said. I believe that you cannot for a very simple reason - he didn't. Either tell me something he said which in some way solicits illegal behavior or it means you can't.
engineer

Thu 4 Feb, 2021 09:24 am
@Brandon9000,
You mean you are sick of refusing to take even the slightest effort to read up yourself even after you were provided links, but since you now agree that there is such thing as speech that is illegal and in the spirit of over a decade of sharing posts on numerous topics, I'll curate all this for you.

Background
- Trump on December 16 writes “Big protest … Be there, will be wild”
- Trump on January 6 is briefed by the FBI and Secret Service that some in the crowd are likely armed and Internet traffic is showing a number of people suggesting a coordinated attack on Congress.

This background is important since if a reasonable person should expect that his words would incite violence, that legally counts even if he did not directly say "go kill a policeman".

Jan 6 Speech
Quote:
All of us here today do not want to see our election victory stolen by emboldened radical-left Democrats, which is what they’re doing. And stolen by the fake news media. That’s what they’ve done and what they’re doing. We will never give up, we will never concede. It doesn’t happen. You don’t concede when there’s theft involved.

Our country has had enough. We will not take it anymore and that’s what this is all about. And to use a favorite term that all of you people really came up with: We will stop the steal.

Quote:
We will not let them silence your voices. We’re not going to let it happen, I’m not going to let it happen.

Immediately after the last line the crowd repeatedly chants “Fight for Trump.”

Quote:
You will have an illegitimate president. That’s what you’ll have. And we can’t let that happen.

These are the facts that you won’t hear from the fake news media. It’s all part of the suppression effort. They don’t want to talk about it. They don’t want to talk about it. In fact, when I started talking about that, I guarantee you, a lot of the television sets and a lot of those cameras went off. And that’s a lot of cameras back there. But a lot of them went off.

But these are the things you don’t hear about. You don’t hear what you just heard. I’m going to go over a few more states. But you don’t hear it by the people who want to deceive you and demoralize you and control you. Big tech, media.

Quote:
Republicans are, Republicans are constantly fighting like a boxer with his hands tied behind his back. It’s like a boxer. And we want to be so nice. We want to be so respectful of everybody, including bad people. And we’re going to have to fight much harder.

Quote:
Now, it is up to Congress to confront this egregious assault on our democracy. And after this, we’re going to walk down, and I’ll be there with you, we’re going to walk down, we’re going to walk down.

Anyone you want, but I think right here, we’re going to walk down to the Capitol, and we’re going to cheer on our brave senators and congressmen and women, and we’re probably not going to be cheering so much for some of them.

Because you’ll never take back our country with weakness. You have to show strength and you have to be strong.

Quote:
But we’ve done it quickly and we were going to sit home and watch a big victory and everybody had us down for a victory. It was going to be great and now we’re out here fighting.

Quote:
And we fight. We fight like hell. And if you don’t fight like hell, you’re not going to have a country anymore.

Our exciting adventures and boldest endeavors have not yet begun. My fellow Americans, for our movement, for our children, and for our beloved country.

And I say this despite all that’s happened. The best is yet to come.

So we’re going to, we’re going to walk down Pennsylvania Avenue. I love Pennsylvania Avenue. And we’re going to the Capitol, and we’re going to try and give.

At this point the crowd moves to kill and injure the capital police and ransack the Capital. Trump is stopped by the Secret Service agents who tell him they cannot ensure his safety. Trump does nothing to control the crowd or stop the violence when it begins. He does not denounce it at all until the insurrection is defeated. At least six defendants in the attack on the Capital have said in their defense filings that they only did what the President directed them to (including Jacob Chansley, horned headdress and face paint guy, and Dominic Pezzola, Proud Boy who is accused of shattering a window in the Capitol with a stolen police shield so rioters could enter.)

Brandon9000

Thu 4 Feb, 2021 07:43 pm
@engineer,
I think you left out the part where he said: "I know that everyone here will soon be marching over to the Capitol building to PEACEFULLY and patriotically make your voices heard."

Yet again, you did not do what I asked you to do. I clearly asked for the quotation in which he solicited violence and I do not see that in any of the quotations you gave. Could you give me the quotation in which he solicited violence please?
engineer

Thu 4 Feb, 2021 08:48 pm
@Brandon9000,
You mean the repeated use of the word fight after telling people that their country is going to be taken away from them doesn't work for you? Sorry, of course it doesn't. Trump said he could shoot someone and get away with it, and now he has. There's a dead policeman and you're happy to give him a pass. Those in the crowd who are now claiming in court that they were doing what Trump told them to do clearly got the message.
oralloy

Thu 4 Feb, 2021 09:19 pm
@engineer,
There's no point in talking to progressives. They are dishonest and will never tell the truth.

They just want to lynch anyone who stands up to their bullying, and that is what they are doing.

The answer is for Republicans to keep on giving progressives massive doses of their own medicine.

So we need to impeach Mr. Biden in 2023, and strip gun control Democrats of all their committee assignments.

The freaks will whine that it isn't fair to use their own tactics against them. Let them whine.
hightor

Fri 5 Feb, 2021 03:12 am
@oralloy,
More name-calling? Come on, you can argue more substantively than just smearing all your political opponents as evil.
hightor

Fri 5 Feb, 2021 07:15 am
Quote:
I think you left out the part where he said: "I know that everyone here will soon be marching over to the Capitol building to peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard."

We're supposed to take this guy at his word? Not only is he a documented serial liar, but on several occasions when he's gotten pushback for a comment he later claimed he was "joking". So for all we know the mob assumed he was just being sarcastic about the "peacefully" thing. We know they took him seriously though when he told them, "We fight like hell." I don't know how you fight peacefully.

farmerman

Fri 5 Feb, 2021 08:52 am
@hightor,
L awyers can create two sides out of every story
0 Replies

oralloy

Fri 5 Feb, 2021 09:58 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
More name-calling?

Denouncing evil is not name-calling.

hightor wrote:
Come on, you can argue more substantively than just smearing all your political opponents as evil.

It is the proper response when faced with opponents who are evil.
hightor

Fri 5 Feb, 2021 10:16 am
@oralloy,
oralloy, if you really believe me to be 'evil' we should simply cease discussing these topics with each other. I reject much of what you say and how you say it but I never assumed that you must be 'evil' because you hold opinions with which I disagree and sometimes find repulsive.
oralloy

Fri 5 Feb, 2021 10:37 am
@hightor,
It would be proper to assume that I'm good.

Look, it's wrong to go around violating people's civil liberties. It's even more wrong when civil liberties are being violated for no reason at all.

It's wrong to abuse the law to conduct witch hunts against people that you disagree with.

It's wrong to try to destroy the lives of people that you disagree with.

Progressives do all these things. And they do them all the time.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Fri 5 Feb, 2021 08:35 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
You mean the repeated use of the word fight after telling people that their country is going to be taken away from them doesn't work for you? Sorry, of course it doesn't. Trump said he could shoot someone and get away with it, and now he has. There's a dead policeman and you're happy to give him a pass. Those in the crowd who are now claiming in court that they were doing what Trump told them to do clearly got the message.

People tell their supporters to fight every day of the week and twice on Sunday. People tell supporters that the country or something valuable is being taken away from them frequently. The idea that it's illegal is laughable. If this were illegal, tens of thousands of people would have faced legal consequences for urging protest and resistance over the years, both of which are absolutely protected rights. Incitement to violence should have an element that asks for violence. Trump said nothing like that and, indeed, told his supporters to protest peacefully. Lots and lots and lots of predominantly peaceful protests for good causes have fringe elements which do something bad. The organizers are not responsible unless they suggested the bad behavior.

How could you grow up in the United States (I will assume you did), go to American schools where you were taught about free speech, and seek to make someone face legal consequences for telling his supporters to fight? What, you learned nothing from growing up in the US and hearing free speech praised as a fundamental right over and over? You were just pretending to understand? It's sickening.
hightor

Sat 6 Feb, 2021 12:11 pm
@Brandon9000,
What seems to be the problem now, Brandon9000?
Quote:

People tell their supporters to fight every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

What "people" are you talking about?
Quote:
People tell supporters that the country or something valuable is being taken away from them frequently.

Again, who's saying this?
Quote:
If this were illegal, tens of thousands of people would have faced legal consequences for urging protest and resistance over the years, both of which are absolutely protected rights.

Assuming these "tens of thousands" of people actually exist, how many of them have occupied the highest elective office in the USA? How many of them have used their position to concoct a false, self-serving narrative, going so far as to solicit money to overturn the results of a fair election? How many of them have employed friendly media outlets to broadcast their lies to the nation? How many of them have stood before an angry mob, and with the legitimacy and status of a chief executive, commanded them to march on the Capitol — with the intention of preventing the lawful activity of a democratically-elected government through coercion and the force of numbers?
Quote:
What, you learned nothing from growing up in the US and hearing free speech praised as a fundamental right over and over?

One of the first things I learned was that "free speech", while fundamental, is not an unlimited right and that the consequences of incendiary speech may result in legal action being taken against those who would dishonestly provoke others to criminal behavior.
Quote:
It's sickening.

What's really sickening is to see a sizeable minority of citizens under the spell of an authoritarian and willing to break the law to show their utter loyalty to a vindictive liar.

0 Replies

hightor

Sun 7 Feb, 2021 02:01 pm
144 Constitutional Lawyers Call Trump’s First Amendment Defense ‘Legally Frivolous’

Taking aim at a key plank of the former president’s impeachment defense, the lawyers argued that the constitutional protections did not apply to an impeachment proceeding.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fgray-witn-prod.cdn.arcpublishing.com%2Fresizer%2FGd0rE8fG3L03Zuu66JkaWPkQbF8%3D%2F1200x675%2Fsmart%2Fcloudfront-us-east-1.images.arcpublishing.com%2Fgray%2FIJROMF4P55MERIO5XSDYPDD3LA.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Quote:
WASHINGTON — Claims by former President Donald J. Trump’s lawyers that his conduct around the Jan. 6 Capitol riot is shielded by the First Amendment are “legally frivolous” and should do nothing to stop the Senate from convicting him in his impeachment trial, 144 leading First Amendment lawyers and constitutional scholars from across the political spectrum wrote in a letter circulated on Friday.

Taking aim at one of the key planks of Mr. Trump’s defense, the lawyers argued that the constitutional protections do not apply to an impeachment proceeding, were never meant to protect conduct like Mr. Trump’s anyway and would most likely fail to shield him even in a criminal court.

“Although we differ from one another in our politics, disagree on many questions of constitutional law, and take different approaches to understanding the Constitution’s text, history, and context, we all agree that any First Amendment defense raised by President Trump’s attorneys would be legally frivolous,” the group wrote. “In other words, we all agree that the First Amendment does not prevent the Senate from convicting President Trump and disqualifying him from holding future office.”

Among the lawyers, scholars and litigants who signed the letter, a copy of which was shared with The New York Times, were Floyd Abrams, who has fought marquee First Amendment cases in court; Steven G. Calabresi, a founder of the conservative Federalist Society; Charles Fried, a solicitor general under President Ronald Reagan; and pre-eminent constitutional law scholars like Laurence Tribe, Richard Primus and Martha L. Minow.

The public retort came after Mr. Trump’s lawyers, Bruce L. Castor Jr. and David Schoen, indicated this week that they planned to use the First Amendment as part of their defense when the trial opened on Tuesday. They argued in a written filing that the House’s “incitement of insurrection” charge “violates the 45th president’s right to free speech and thought” and that the First Amendment specifically protects Mr. Trump from being punished for his baseless claims about widespread election fraud.

The House impeachment managers have argued that Mr. Trump’s false statements claiming to have been the true winner of the election, and his exhortations to his followers to go to the Capitol and “fight like hell” to reverse the outcome, helped incite the attack.

In their letter, the constitutional law scholars laid out three counterarguments to the president’s free-speech defense that the Democrats prosecuting the case were expected to embrace at trial.

First, they asserted that the First Amendment, which is meant to protect citizens from the government limiting their free speech and other rights, has no real place in an impeachment trial. Senators are not determining whether Mr. Trump’s conduct was criminal, but whether it sufficiently violated his oath of office to warrant conviction and potential disqualification from holding future office.

“As a result, asking whether President Trump was engaged in lawful First Amendment activity misses the point entirely,” they wrote. “Regardless of whether President Trump’s conduct on and around January 6 was lawful, he may be constitutionally convicted in an impeachment trial if the Senate determines that his behavior was a sufficiently egregious violation of his oath of office to constitute a ‘high crime or misdemeanor’ under the Constitution.”

What is more, they argued, even if the First Amendment did apply to an impeachment trial, it would do nothing to bar conviction, which has to do with whether Mr. Trump violated his oath, not whether he should be allowed to say what he said.

“No reasonable scholar or jurist could conclude that President Trump had a First Amendment right to incite a violent attack on the seat of the legislative branch, or then to sit back and watch on television as Congress was terrorized and the Capitol sacked,” they wrote.

Finally, they contended that there was an “extraordinarily strong argument” that the defense would even fail in a criminal trial because the evidence against Mr. Trump is most likely strong enough to meet the Supreme Court’s high bar for punishing someone for inciting others to engage in unlawful conduct.

Many of the signatories to Friday’s letter had signed on to a previous one pushing back on another key argument in Mr. Trump’s defense: the assertion that the Senate does not have jurisdiction to try a former president because the Constitution does not explicitly grant it that power.

The letter emerged as Mr. Trump’s legal team, which was hastily pulled together in recent days after he dismissed his original impeachment lawyers, worked feverishly on Friday to get up to speed on the case and prepare for the trial.

Mr. Schoen said that he and Mr. Castor had yet to learn anything about how the trial would operate — including its schedule, how much time the defense would have to present its arguments and the rules for entering evidence.

“I’m in shock we’re starting Tuesday and have no agreement for how any resolutions will be put forward,” Mr. Schoen said in a telephone interview. “We have no rules, no agenda, no time-frame — there is no possible way this is consistent with due process.”

Senator Chuck Schumer, Democrat of New York and the majority leader, is expected to lay out his proposed rules next week, just before the trial begins. Last year, Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, the top Republican and the majority leader at the time, revealed the rules less than 24 hours before Mr. Trump’s first impeachment trial was set to begin.

nyt
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/14/2024 at 01:00:27