R.I.P. The 1st amendment 1791-2021

Below viewing threshold (view)
maxdancona

Tue 20 Apr, 2021 10:26 am
@engineer,
Let's be clear about what we are talking about.

The Black Lives Matter protesters are looting, setting businesses on fire, and attacking police officers (just like the Trump supporters did).

It is your right to protest an election or a trial verdict that you think is unfair. I think either is stupid (these are democratic institutions that shouldn't change with protests), but protesting anything is your legal right.

It is the justification of violence that is the problem.

I am not comfortable making the link of these acts of violence with "civil rights marchers".
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Tue 20 Apr, 2021 10:44 am
This other comment by Waters seems to have the potential for causing violence too:

"If you see anybody from that Cabinet in a restaurant, in a department store, at a gasoline station, you get out and you create a crowd and you push back on them, and you tell them they're not welcome anymore, anywhere," Waters, who has called for President Donald Trump to be impeached, told supporters over the weekend.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/rep-waters-draws-criticism-saying-trump-officials-should-be-harassed-n886311
maxdancona

Tue 20 Apr, 2021 11:49 am
@engineer,
Even in the context of "creating tension" King is clearly talking non-violent action. The consistent word here is "non-violent".

The idea that MLK would support arson or looting or attacking police officers seems contrary to his legacy.

0 Replies

Brandon9000

Tue 20 Apr, 2021 12:27 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
Yeah, that story is three years old. As I said, I don't think Rep. Waters has the kind of standing that makes everything she says particularly important. I think conservatives pay more attention to her than anyone else.

BTW, Trump was impeached. Twice.

That reflects only on the Democrats who view impeachment as a means of continuing elections.

And anyone can soliciting violent crimes, regardless of his or her standing.
farmerman

Wed 21 Apr, 2021 08:21 am
@Brandon9000,
I see that USSC threw out the last Pa "stolen election" BS complaint. If GOP's cannot stand faxts and evidence to countter their misbegotten beliefs, then there is always Turkey and Somalia in which to move the workings of the GOP Fascist plutocracy.
maxdancona

Wed 21 Apr, 2021 09:10 am
@farmerman,
The political left has as many problema accepting facts and evidence as the right does. There are two political extremes in the US without much activity in the middle.

I don't know if Maxine Waters and Ted Cruz would be accepted in Turkey. It would seem an unfair thing to do to a NATO ally.
farmerman

Wed 21 Apr, 2021 02:56 pm
@maxdancona,
do you have a real life hidden away somewhere??
Builder

Thu 22 Apr, 2021 02:58 am
@farmerman,
Do you?
hightor

Thu 22 Apr, 2021 03:40 am
@Builder,
I expect that he does. He often describes projects he's working on and asks for information on materials and processes.

It looks like you showed up here for the sole purpose of insulting another member. Don't you have anything else you'd rather talk about?
0 Replies

oralloy

Tue 11 May, 2021 05:34 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
I don't know if Maxine Waters and Ted Cruz would be accepted in Turkey. It would seem an unfair thing to do to a NATO ally.

Turkey is, unfortunately, a member of NATO.

They have never been our ally.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 08:03:14