15

R.I.P. The 1st amendment 1791-2021

BillRM

2  
Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2021 03:14 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

I've thought of that myself, no thumbing until you've posted X times. I think Robert has decided not to invest any additional resources in code changes so I doubt there is going to be any change.

Given how worthless the voting is due to misused simply removing or jumping around the voting subroutines would not need to used up more then a few minutes of a programmer time.

hightor

2  
Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2021 03:19 pm
@longjon,
It must be a Qanon insurrection.
On a message board? More likely a single fat guy in his parents' basement. Rolling Eyes

longjon

1  
Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2021 03:46 pm
@engineer,
I guess the obvious question then is, is this sort of response also warranted for conservatives who are down voted here?

Is what's good for the goose also good for the gander?

Oh who am I kidding, radical leftists don't apply standards equally to people who disagree with their weirdo dogma.
engineer

4  
Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2021 03:50 pm
@longjon,
If you think "conservatives" are being bot downvoted, go for it. I have not observed the same pattern of downvoting, but maybe the anti-"conservative" bots are just smarter.
longjon

1  
Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2021 03:57 pm
@engineer,
hmmm....

How about this gentleman here?

https://able2know.org/topic/287301-126#post-7108604

Seems as though he is consistently gang down voted. Do you have the same righteous indignation for his situation?

I mean, since leftists aren't hypocrites at all.

And does he whinge about like you folks do here?
engineer

4  
Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2021 04:00 pm
@longjon,
I think he comes by his downvotes honestly and probably considers them a point of pride but if you think they come from bots you can whine on his behalf. Nothing wrong with posting an unpopular opinion, I've done so myself and been sure the downvotes I received were real. It's the ten votes in ten minutes thing across dozens of posts, even ones on grammar or puzzles that stands out.

hightor

3  
Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2021 04:46 pm
@longjon,

Seems as though he is consistently gang down voted.

Not "gang down voted", you paranoid —they are individual decisions.

You seem to think that this is solely political in nature. It's not. Nor is it in many other posts by others, both left and right, that are voted down, one member-one vote, in countless threads, political and non-political. It's because the comments are purposefully written in an insulting, obnoxious, and challenging manner. There are quite a few characters who get down-voted with impressive regularity — one of them actually repeats the same responses, word-for-word. No, that's not the kind of post that generates — or merits — popular acclaim.

You (you in general) can either choose to have a conversation or you can provoke an argument. It's usually pretty obvious. I'd be interested to see if you could provide an example of a relatively innocent response getting more than 1 or 2 down-votes simply for its political perspective.

Builder

0  
Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2021 06:45 pm
@hightor,
Here's what you wrote about the same thing on another thread.

I know you're generally quite confused about life, in general, but this is totally the opposite of what you're saying here. Are you (as I'm more convinced) a response bot?

Yup. What we are seeing here is someone successfully preventing certain posts being visible without members making the extra click to view them. Someone's obviously on a mission of some sort as it's only a few political threads where this effort is made. I don't know how difficult it would be to do away with the thumbs entirely but eliminating the threshold of visibility would make the reputation abuse moot. It's sort of funny — you just know the person doing this is a self-appointed defender of freedom and enemy of censorship!

0  
Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2021 06:56 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
I have not observed the same pattern of downvoting, but maybe the anti-"conservative" bots are just smarter.

Nah. It's your innate hypocrisy. You would have to be blind to have not noticed that conservatives were targeted first.
hightor

2  
Reply Tue 23 Feb, 2021 04:07 am
@Builder,

Not the same thing at all.

The two statements discuss different aspects of the thumb phenomenon. They aren't contradictory at all. Cases where individual posts are voted down by members, one at a time, are not the same as the manipulation of the process by one person. You can see when this happens — suddenly a post gets 5 or 6 negatives at once — when there are only two or three people actively posting.
Are you (as I'm more convinced) a response bot?

How would that work, who would employ it, and why?

2  
Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2021 02:15 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

engineer wrote:

Let me guess, you think normal people don't notice you voting yourself into a superior position that ONLY YOU finds satisfying. I need to log off before I giggle myself into a crippling hernia.

0  
Reply Wed 24 Feb, 2021 04:14 am
@glitterbag,
What normal intellects think that they notice has little to do with reality. Normal people should contract with smart people to do their thinking for them.