"Jesus would work as a healer today" would he though?

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2021 08:06 am
We have some notion that if Jesus were around today, he'd be the same sort itinerant priest/healer today. But I'm not sure this is a valid assessment. For one thing, I get the feeling that Jesus in his time was a highly trained yet highly unlicensed person (people called him rabbi, and he clearly knew his stuff, but I'm not certain his credentials were more than would stand up to working in small-town Nazareth), who let other people handle money, and mainly just healed because it was part of his mission. He wouldn't put up with the idea that you need years of training to heal, then this form, then that form, and now due to COVID restrictions you can't stand close and touch someone. Not a a nurse either, still too much paperwork. Alternative medicine? Well maybe he could get around the healing touch thing, but then there's a matter of having a clinic. Nobody comes to talk to random people anymore asking for healing, they go to clinics and pay high prices to feel better. In short, the medical field has become so bureaucratic that someone like Jesus would quickly be arrested for medicine
without a license. Even though he could cure cancer for free, while the others have expensive radiation or chemo that often still kills you.

What do you guys think?

What job would Jesus have and why?

View best answer, chosen by bulmabriefs144
maxdancona

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2021 08:40 am
@bulmabriefs144,
The story of Jesus was the story of being an outcast. He associated himself with "tax-collectors" and "sinners". His greatest anger was directed toward religious people. He was criticized, and then crucified, for being a law breaker.

So the question is, what position today would be the most humble, hated, feared, ostracized and mistreated people in our society. Clearly, Jesus today would be an illegal immigrant.
hightor
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2021 09:40 am
@bulmabriefs144,
Quote:

He was a carpenter and probably would be working in construction. Very few elements of his fictional biography are relevant in the modern world.
chai2

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2021 10:50 am
@bulmabriefs144,
bulmabriefs144 wrote:

We have some notion that if Jesus were around today, he'd be the same sort itinerant priest/healer today. But I'm not sure this is a valid assessment. For one thing, I get the feeling that Jesus in his time was a highly trained yet highly unlicensed person (people called him rabbi, and he clearly knew his stuff, but I'm not certain his credentials were more than would stand up to working in small-town Nazareth), who let other people handle money, and mainly just healed because it was part of his mission. He wouldn't put up with the idea that you need years of training to heal, then this form, then that form, and now due to COVID restrictions you can't stand close and touch someone. Not a a nurse either, still too much paperwork. Alternative medicine? Well maybe he could get around the healing touch thing, but then there's a matter of having a clinic. Nobody comes to talk to random people anymore asking for healing, they go to clinics and pay high prices to feel better. In short, the medical field has become so bureaucratic that someone like Jesus would quickly be arrested for medicine
without a license. Even though he could cure cancer for free, while the others have expensive radiation or chemo that often still kills you.

What do you guys think?

Who is this "we" that you're talking about? I've never given a thought in the world of what this Jesus would be doing in the world today, let alone if he'd be involved in health care.

For all I know, if Jesus had even been a real person (which I doubt) and was alive today, he might of been a Door Dash driver. If he sticks to downtown, he'd only need a bike.

Makes just as much sense to me. He could work just long enough each day to earn enough for food, maybe a cheap room somewheres if it's really cold. You can cash out your earnings daily on the app.

Then he could spend the rest of his time hob nobbing with the tent community under the highway flyover.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 4 Jan, 2021 11:01 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:

He was a carpenter and probably would be working in construction. Very few elements of his fictional biography are relevant in the modern world.

I was seeing him as a migrant farm worker, but construction makes more sense.

The more I think about it, there is no part of the gospel that doesn't have a parallel with the undocumented immigrant experience. Jesus' ministry was about putting peoples need above the law, and seeing to the outcasts of society and showing mercy and forgiveness.

I think undocumented construction worker is the the place where Jesus' story would best fit in a modern context.
0 Replies

Themightyquinn

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2021 01:53 pm
Vice president in charge of product development and production for Rooms To Go
0 Replies

knaivete

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2021 06:21 pm
@bulmabriefs144,
Quote:
We have some notion that if Jesus were around today, he'd be the same sort itinerant priest/healer today. But I'm not sure this is a valid assessment.

Correct, the putative peripatetic prince of peace may well be shine in other fields:

Swimming pool lifeguard and olympic champion in the 50, 100, 200, 400 and 1500 metres freestyle.

Dieu du jour of the 12 monkeys army sent to the wrong time.

Food and drinks event co-ordinator for weddings, parties, anything.

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 5 Jan, 2021 06:32 pm
https://external-preview.redd.it/a33EgsFzcI_Lw-6V0x1clfChtrFO-d7sWVLqIjPl4Rc.jpg?auto=webp&s=b0fa907f5f6376b9ffaf1879a1884ce167671840
0 Replies

bulmabriefs144

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2021 07:51 am
@maxdancona,
I'm nor sure I buy that. Yes illegal immigrants are outcasts but let's clarify something. They are seeking something on an unorthodox way.

Jesus valued honesty and uprightness even if he associated with the bottom tier of society.
* He mentions that his shepherds enter from the front gate, while thieves enter from the back gate (despite need, going about it ILLEGALLY is still wrong)
* He mentions in the Good Samaritan that the one who was a neighbour was not the priest or Levite (but was also not the thieves who mugged him) but the one who had mercy. Yet illegals have no mercy for those who have to work harder and pay more taxes because of their "land of opportunity". Yes, they suffer too, often being exploited into labor or sex trade.
* Jesus would forgive the sins of such people, but he wasn't a tax collector or sinner. He came to help them. To save them from their sins. In Nazareth,where everyone was like "isn't he Joseph's boy?" he was able to do very little because they had it all figured out. Jesus helped those who were aware of what was wrong with them (often leprosy) and confessed it to Jesus.

Jesus would be a poor person during COVID who "we ask that you mask" but he can't because he has a mask phobia, an undiagnosed (because he hasn't he hasn't gone to any doctors lately, because he can't afford insurance) respiratory ailment, or an allergy to a certain compound on the cloth they make for masks. Who cannot go into stores for food, who cannot get his driver's license updated, and who is starving. And who will not break any rules to make anyone afraid. Who has to wait at food banks to get anything at all. He might even be declared to have it, yet feel no different. In fact, let's also put those who in quarantine yet still have food and other needs to take care of. Since Jesus was declared sinful quite a bit, though he did his best to give mercy to others. (He would not however be among those protesting it by going in stores in defiance of rules, that again is going through the back gate).

But that too doesn't work, except for being "least of these" because we are assuming Jesus has means to help. What we're looking for is a sort of wounded healer, who doesn't cause trouble for others and tries to help, but is declared a criminal regardless.

I would amend your illegal immigrant to: Someone who works as a volunteer at the border mission providing food and clothing for these people (not those who try to ship people illegally across lines, but those who try to feed or comfort them, and are often mistreated by border officers).
bulmabriefs144

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2021 08:02 am
@hightor,
There's still construction workers today. Some of them are even named Jesus.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2021 08:12 am
@bulmabriefs144,
Bulma! Let's look at this honestly.

In the Good Samaritan you are the Pharisee. You are comfortable. You are privileged. You are respectably religious. You are making excuses for not helping someone you see as beneath you.

You are also ignoring the life of Jesus (with one passage taken out of context). In time after time he breaks the law to help someone in need. He heals on the Sabbath just to upset the respectable religious hypocrites.

Jesus ate with "tax collectors and sinners" you religious hypocrites attacked him for it. And you crucified him because he was a lawbreaker who associated with law breakers.

Jesus hated religious hypocrisy from privileged people who put the law above mercy.
chai2

Reply Thu 7 Jan, 2021 06:18 pm
@bulmabriefs144,
According to you, he gotten beaten all to hell, and hung up on a cross until he bled out.

You think he would have a mask phobia?
bulmabriefs144

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2021 08:43 pm
@chai2,
Jesus came into a body of a human.

He had all the fears of a regular human.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew%2026:39&version=KJV

Jesus prays repeatedly to have an out from the crucifixion. God says "no dice."
0 Replies

bulmabriefs144

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2021 08:46 pm
@maxdancona,
You do not understand the privilege inherent in what you are saying.

There are currently a record number of people who receive food stamps. Why? Because they cannot get food anywhere else. They've lost their jobs. They sneezed, and someone told them "you might have COVID."
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/politics/the-great-progressive-betrayal

Quote:
Every week for the past three weeks, it had 100 more families than the week before coming to collect a box of processed food and produce from the county and donations. Before the pandemic, the same pantry served 80 to 100 families a month.

Quote:
Liberals have long been obsessed with telling people to check their privilege but are now flaunting their own. The least they can do is volunteer at a local food pantry and meet the victims of their neglect.

You check your privilege.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2021 09:20 pm
@bulmabriefs144,
You are being silly.

It upsets me when people pretend to be Christians. You are just doing what you want to do and then twisting the Bible to justify it. You are ignoring what it really says.

If you are going to be a Christian, then you

1) You will respect the secular authorities and understand they are appointed by God (for example when they are helping you face a pandemic).

2) Actually care about poor people and undocumented immigrants.

The biblical Jesus hated religious hypocrisy.
bulmabriefs144

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2021 10:19 pm
@maxdancona,
Ah. THAT verse.

People love to trot out that verse.

So uhhhh, at what point does Romans 13 cease to about not making trouble with civil authorities and start being about being little statists? We are commanded to be in the world but not of the world. This means that under normal circumstances we aren't lobbying in the streets like I see liberals doing EVERY DAY. We work, we try to obey traffic laws and other laws, we don't have some kinda God's kingdom revolt where we try to remake the Earth into God's kingdom. In fact, we very much should NOT do this, and any leader who tries to get rid of the economy and/or government to set up a utopian state is a false prophet (an Antichrist) because the world is intended to be broken. This is also why Jesus died on the cross instead of bringing in an army and revolting against Rome. His kingdom is not this world.
But, and this is important, we are not of the world. We are not afraid of what it is afraid of. If the law says that slavery is the law, do you follow the law? Then you're as bad as the law.

I do care about poor people. I care because I know people have increasingly been on food stamps. I've been on food stamps, I know how it feels to be so poor you qualify (you usually are about to lose your house too). I know what it's like to live in a car and eat canned food. You're copping out and acting like this isn't a problem when it very much is.

I do not care about illegal immigrants. Or rather, I understand that they are often pawns in political schemes (liberals: "We need more liberal voters", conservatives: "We need cheap workers" ) and I have no sympathy for those who give me sob stories. I do not care about such sob stories because I know the greater stories that are hidden. Sex trafficking. Slave labor or borderline slave labor (paid well below minimum). Minimum wage raises making it so only illegals get jobs.

https://cis.org/Arthur/Illegal-Immigration-Abets-Exploitation-Workers
https://blog.petrieflom.law.harvard.edu/2018/06/27/the-intersection-of-human-trafficking-and-immigration/

I do agree with border missions, something you scoff at as "not caring about..." These people feed, clothe, and comfort those who made it across, sometimes at risk of being attacked by the border police. No, I know better than to think that illegal immigrants will automatically have a better life. But these people help them at personal risk. Have you worked at a border mission? I couldn't cut it, but I respected what they did. But yeah, I know illegal immigration can't work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPjzfGChGlE

During the Black Death, you know what secular doctors did? They gave up. They skipped town or tried to stay safe. You know what Christians did? Frontline workers, usually until they died. A missionary sent to a leper colony in Hawaii (forgot his name... Saint Damien) got it himself.
But guess what? All of our bishops are telling us to hide ourselves indoors. They won't hold services. They won't allow communion, or singing, or sharing the peace. This is secular people telling Christians they aren't "real" Christians unless they are chicken**** like the rest of the population. And most of them are buying it (because these secular bureaucrats call themselves "bishops").

Real people are dying of serious health issues (obesity is on the rise, so is suicide, so is bankruptcy). But ohh, these aren't real problems, stop being insensitive to immigrants and COVID sufferers! So yeah, I go out and I find deaf ears, while people continue to let this continue.

Let's actually review Jesus talking about rendering unto Caesar, shall we?

Read this please.

What does the state really own? Nothing. The Jews understood this, which is why he could get away with saying this.

In fact, it is important to note that the Jews of the time were in collusion with the Romans, hence Jesus asks them to "show me the coin." Because they had it. As soon as they did this, well before he said the rest, they had lost the debate (this was a Roman coin, not a Jewish one, and in fact was profane inside temple grounds). Now our bishops have also decided to be in collusion. "You all need to stay safe..." to the congregation, and to the priests, "you will not hold services as normal or you will lose your position." These are the Pharisees of today. They are the whitewashed tombs that despoil widows and orphans.

Here, I'll make this easy for you.

Quote:
The second beast was given power to give breath to the image of the first beast, so that the image could speak and cause all who refused to worship the image to be killed.

The first Beast is COVID itself. If by refusing to respect it I am killed by it, then let it happen. I refuse here and now to accept it as real, and I refuse to give worship and fear to it. Let it be done to me, if this is real.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 21 Jan, 2021 11:30 pm
@bulmabriefs144,
If the Bible is true, Bulmabriefs, and you are wrong (which you are) you are going to Hell. It is not just one Bible verse. It is the entire life of Jesus that you are denying.

Jesus wasn't patriotic, he wasn't a citizen.

Jesus broke the law to help people. At time he did this in front of religious hypocrites. He was arrested for breaking the law; because he performed an illegal healing.

Jesus defended the poor against the rich and told rich people to sell their possessions to give to the poor.

Jesus said that you should not resist the evil man and that you should give to those who ask.

Jesus said to help the stranger and people without food.

You want people to suffer for breaking the law to help the poor.

You defend the rich against the poor.

You want to hurt people who ask you for things.

You are against mercy, against forgiveness and against understanding.

You want to rebel against civil authority.

You want to keep immigrants out and make their lives harder.

bulmabriefs144

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2021 04:21 am
@maxdancona,
Oh look, I'm still here.

Btw, if the Bible is true, then nobody is going to Hell.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/messyinspirations/2019/11/hell-absent-bible/

There is no hell in the Bible. God is not not some sadist who inflicts eternal punishment.

You are welcome to accuse me. However, I think you're reasons are half-baked.

Jesus was not an altruist. Altruists are willing to sacrifice themselves to make their guilt better. Last night, through some force of will, I gave myself a fever. Then I realized that if I got sick to please you, the resr of my family might get sick. And if I died, they'd all be pretty damned shaken up, as surely as if I had run away from home. There is nothing as selfish by half as altruism. Ayn Rand thinks so, after seeing altruists sacrifice entire countries, and I'm inclined to agree. "A worker deserves his wages" is in the Bible. Hell is not, except by bad translations.

And did you actually read what I said or just scramble it under your own biases? I support the idea of border mission. I do not support the idea of turning one country into a shithole just so you can satisfy a misguide guilt complex.

Suppose this isn't the US we're talking about but Switzerland. Switzerland unlike the US has no immigration policy at all. They are also among the richest countries in the world. Yet nobody called them to share their wealth or land. Hmmm, that's interesting, wonder why? Well they are a mountainous, cold, and kinda small country. But more importantly, they are armed with guns to the last woman and child. You hypocrite! It's easy to shame people who are not prepared to defend their way of life into giving up their country. But here's the thing. The citizens of Switzerland, supposing they earned money every week (honestly, not by banking and loans) could give a steady stream of their excess funds to Somalia, Vietnam, or other poor countries. First, no amount of money will ever help, because those in charge are embezzlers. Liberal, conservative, doesn't matter. They take the money meant for hungry mouths and buy another yacht. These people are politicians. If anyone is bound for hell, it's them. But even these sadistic greedy are at best to be tossed into a lake of fire and extinct. No prolonged suffering. But let's assume these people were out of the way. Switzerland could maybe make an impact, assuming they gave about 10% of their earnings, a tithe. That's not nearly enough you say, they should give 80% because they are so rich. Switzerland has gone from upper class to scraping to make ends meet (to give you an image, $20k a year is what a schoolteacher makes. It's at the lower end of middle class and usually get eaten by expenses. Now the desperate poor of other countries would kill for this, but they typically don't have high housing costs and live in huts they built themselves. 80% reduces $100k down to $20k so the Swiss can satisgy your notion of justice. Meanwhile, you've probably not giving 80% yourself yet you are incensed that the rich aren't making themselves poor). Guess what? Unless they spread this around to every country, this will create rapid inflation. Bread that cost 2 Rand now costs 200 Rand. Unless they improve their society, they are just as poor. You have to be sensible. I give to Heifer, you know why? It helps poor countries create farmers. That can't easily be embezzled and it can't inflate. Now I have damned little to give, but if everyone gave cows instead of money, the problems of the third world would start to resolve (not kidding myself that this is the whole solution by any means). But let's apply this to immigration. Switzerland could probably help by allowing 10% of its population as immigrants. It wouldn't, and they have guns, but anyway. 10% is no problem. 80%? There's no Switzerland anymore. The minorities are a majority, and they've brought all their poverty with them (feeding, housing, and clorhing this extra chunk of population will completely deplete the resources of Switzerland, in much the same way as you can ship 8 of every ten crops overseas with no problems because you can pick berries from a bush but having 80 people stomp on your land grabbing food from trees will break them), and Switzerland no longer has any cultural identity. In fact, they'll probably use those guns to commit mass genocide. Hurray, you helped humanitarian efforts by making sure Switzerland did its part. Oh wait, no you didn't. You ravaged a country, and then made them wipe another people out.

When we demand people pledge their money to humanitarian effort nothing good happens. Jesus healed the sick, he worked with people personally. He would feed and comfort those who made it across the border. He wouldn't ship immigrants to big cities, where they don't understand how to do anything (cultural disconnect is a real problem, there was a story of like some guy from Ethiopia or something putting logs on a stove, and the apartment complex burned down because he didn't understand modern cooking). Nor would he be a misguided armchair donor to foreign countries. I can see him being a construction worker. I can see him feeding, clothing, and aiding immigrants. But our illegal immigration picture is actually quite messed up. And you have some rosy idealistic bubble here that I'm gonna have to pop, sorry.

Most immigrants would be better off being temporary, learning skills, and bringing said skills back to their country. Unlicensed, unchecked, and unlimited immigration is a recipe for disaster. But hey, if you think I'm wrong, I can probably find you a website where you can sign appropriate forms and adopt an international child.
https://www.uscis.gov/adoption/bringing-your-internationally-adopted-child-to-the-united-states
You go right ahead and have six immigrants in your house. Tell me how it goes.

What's that? You don't wanna do that? You'd rather sit on a soapbox and tell me how I'm going to hell because I know a bit more about how migrant women often end up as sex slaves? Well go ahead and tell me that, I guess. But I currently have a house, a family that loves me, and $2000 to my name. I could probably sell everything I have and give to the poor. But I'd be better off giving away things I don't use to a thrift store. I get rid of my DS and like 20 games, they sell this item to help their food bank or something.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2021 07:18 am
@bulmabriefs144,
Jesus did sacrifice himself.

Have you read the Bible at all?
engineer

Reply Fri 22 Jan, 2021 07:27 am
@bulmabriefs144,
Quote:
“You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.”