Can you end a sentence in a preposition?

dupre

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 05:32 pm
Actually, some prepositions are used as adverbs, as in "Playing this game is a temptation to which I would hate to give in."

So, I'll hold off. I'll settle down. I want to avoid having a run-in. You never know what bad habits may hang on.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 05:53 pm
dupre,

In this sense, it is not considered to be bad grammar by anyone. I agree that the absolute avoidance of a preposition at the end of a sentence limits the free flow of some sentences. But, I find that with some sentence rearranging, most sentences are more effective and sound better without the preposition at the end. I find that when I write conversationally, as I usually do on this site, some sentences end in prepositions. We do it all the time in speaking. But I'm not a grammar expert.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 06:03 pm
God, I so dislike good logic. Had a business communication teacher who detested finishing a sentence with "it" (one complete letter mark down every time you it was done). Reason is obvious, it leads to ambiguity in a big way.

I do try to stick by the two rules. Ending with a preposition gets you going without anywhere to go to. Voila, there's your adverb dupre! Smile
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 06:04 pm
LOL Bill W.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2003 06:05 pm
http://www.clicksmilie.de/sammlung/sehrgrosse/large-smiley-005.gif
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 11:38 am
Actually, my response was meant to be tongue-in-cheek, "characterized by insincerity, irony, or whimsical exaggeration," not a lesson whereby grammar can be improved upon.Note the use of prepositions at the end of each phrase above? I am playing the game; the insincerity, irony, and whimsical exaggeration lie therein.

It's not funny if you have to explain it. . . .
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 11:42 am
Actually, I found it quite humorous, I like to tag along - Smile
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 11:48 am
Oh, okay, well that's another matter altogether. I'll blow it off. Whew, forget about it.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 12:00 pm
I must admit I do favor correct grammer in professional writing, I don't know what I'd do without it. I'm always going about looking for opportunities to be obsessive about. And I'll admit I didn't get the humor in your post, dupre, but that's not something you have any fault in. Sometimes, I'm slow on the uptake. I do apologize for making it necessary for you to explain your joke, something I understand you would rather do without. This game is something I'm bad at. But that doesn't keep it from being something I want to be involved in. Oh dear!
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 12:15 pm
LLO!
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 12:31 pm
LLO is something to laugh out loud about.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 12:53 pm
I've been one upped. I take my hat off . . . and lowly bow down.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 01:00 pm
dupre,

My friends being one upped is something with which I will not put! Your LLO receives my vote for the highest marking cleverness I, for some time now,have laid my eyes on. I must admit, this game is something I'm finally getting better at.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 01:58 pm
I feel a blush from within . . . am warmed throughout . . . and tingle all over.

You are good at this game, and not at all lagging behind. Not once have you messed up. A culmination of our abilities is near. Should we reach out? And draw others in? Or cast a disdainful gaze upon them from our lofty status above?
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 02:35 pm
Let's go roust em out! Or, wait........there's a better one that I have thought of..............we shall wait patiently until they show up.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 04:25 pm
I rate JLo and LLo on an even par - Wink Smile Cool Razz Razz Razz
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2003 06:08 pm
I only end a sentence with a preposition if I have to.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 08:41 pm
And I only do it when there's something I'm against
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 09:28 pm
I only do it when no one will catch on.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 09:29 pm
I'm somewhere in between