Can you end a sentence in a preposition?

Ethel2

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 06:24 pm
If you want to play, here's the rules you'll do it with. Make up a sentence so it's a preposition you end it in. It's hard to avoid that preposition at the end of the sentence when you're trying not to. But doing it on purpose is a challenge that's hard to know what to do about.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 10,423 • Replies: 103
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 06:35 pm
This is a game that I can be happy about. I find that on A2K, I end sentences in prepositions, even if I don't want to. Then I have to correct them so that I don't sound illiterate, like I don't know what I am talking about.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 06:37 pm
I think you find this easier to do, Phoenix than I know how to figure out.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 06:42 pm
Another fun game to play with. When I saw the title I had to find out what Lola was up to.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 06:43 pm
Lola- That's because ending in prepositions is a big problem of mine. I would like a dollar for every time I wrote a sentence, and then corrected it because it ended in a preposition. Funny thing, when I correct it, the sentence always sounds stuffy to me. Do you think that it has something to do with my Brooklyn roots? Laughing
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 07:34 pm
maybe, Phoenix Brooklyn might be it, but if you're from Texas, as I am, the correct answer to, "when are you going to do that?" is aways "I'm fixin to." So I come by it naturally as well. We could also modify this thread by either writing a sentence that ends in a prep. or by writing it correctly. For instance, "are you the person to whom I should be speaking?" Stuffy, yes, but correct just the same.
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 07:44 pm
Ok, I'm in.
This a game that I will be good at.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 07:47 pm
Maxsdadeo,

Is that a picture of Robert Redford we're looking at?
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 08:34 pm
As much as it would appear to be, max insists that it is me that it is a picture of.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 09:00 pm
I'm ashamed to admit that when I was in Jr. high school there was this English class that I just hated to be in. It was boring boring boring because my friend and I thought we already knew everything, English-wise, and so we did everything we could to try to get out. We succeeded, by passing some sort of essay test, which showed that we instinctively knew what we were doing, probably because we both read a zillion books and wrote a lot besides. So I completely missed instruction on these kinds of specifics (prepositions), and admit that I had to look them up.

http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/preposition_list.htm

Such an important rule -- how did I go so long without?
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 09:06 pm
Well, Max............I'd pick you as an adult any day over your baby picture, if it was those two I had to choose between.

Thanks, Sozobe, that list is something I don't know what I'd do without. Hey, this is something I'm getting better at.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 09:20 pm
When a southern woman asked a snotty northerner, "Where are you from?" the northerner said, "Not from a part of the country where we end our sentences in a preposition!"
The southern woman then said, "Well, where are you from, bitch?"
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 09:25 pm
This should be easy for anyone speaking deutsch. Or, not.

Good one Diane, maybe - Wo bis du von? Bitch!!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 09:40 pm
Tucson be it.
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 09:49 pm
In our lives, there dwells a point of, a time to.

HAAA!! Double prep or what??
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 10:23 pm
maxsdadeo, what age is max at? Is he old enough to know his daddy when he sees him - do you know what I'm getting at?

(whew, this is tougher than it looks like!)
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Mon 24 Mar, 2003 10:44 pm
mscsm11, I see your point through and through.

And Max was not playing around.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 12:08 am
I'm still trying to understand what this game is about.
I guess I'm not where it's at.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 07:29 am
Sozobe- I was just looking at your preposition list, and I found, to my chagrin, that I use many of them at the end of my sentences. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Bibliophile the BibleGuru

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 08:51 am
Can you end a sentence with a preposition?

With or without?

Up or down?

Above or below?

During or after?

Inside or outside?

etc, etc...
0 Replies