CalamityJane

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 12:27 pm
Ah yes - the "Last Tango in Paris" and "Turkish Delight"
were excellent movies, although I think both movies
were too graphic for american viewers Wink
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 12:43 pm
Dead Ringers (Jeremy Irons, Geneviève Bujold)
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 01:19 pm
For sexy - I'd say Frankie and Johnny w/ Al Pacino

all for one scene, where they finally get together.

What made it so sexy was that it was so REAL.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 09:08 pm
A remarkably distinguished list, Paaskynen. You've just inspired me to go into my NetFlix queue and add some of those films I haven't seen for years. I have "Maurice" on VHS but the sumptuous cinematography deserves DVD resolution. I might add the mysteriously sentuous and high charged sexual overtones of

"Woman in the Dunes"

I've mentioned this film perhaps too many times but it's one of my favorites.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2005 09:08 pm
Oh, and...

"Hiroshima, Mon Amour"
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 07:52 am
I did not mention Woman in the Dunes (Known over here as The Woman in the Sand), because i knew it would be coming :wink:
I also have very good memories of that story, but haven't seen the film in twenty years or so. I hope it will eventually pop up on the classics shelves of the local video shop.

Jane, if you considered Last Tango in Paris and Turkish Delight rather explicit, then Il Diavolo in Corpo is not for you. It made headlines at the time, because it was the first serious movie that featured a serious actress (Marushka Detmers) explicitly performing a real sex act on her co-star.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 08:18 am
It's on DVD and should be in the foreign film rental shells. I am guessing there's not NetFlix or Blockbuster in Finland to rent online.

"Woman in the Dunes" is very explicit in several scenes and the film is critically regarded as one of the most erotic every commited to film. I always thought that Lawrence Kasden wasn't just inspired by Hitchcock but also by Hiroshi Teshigahara in "Body Heat." William Hurt is trapped into something quite different from a sand pit but essentially it's the same treacherous, claustrophobic menace.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 09:37 am
Bram Stokers Dracula
The Color Purple
Body of Evidence
Some kind of Wonderful
Something about Mary
Wedding singer
Wonderful life(or any film with the word 'some' or 'wonderful' in it!!)
Jack and Sarah
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 09:38 am
Oh, Far and Away.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 10:44 am
I did highly appreciate Coppolla's romanticizing of the Dracula story, more so than the Frank Langella which bordered on the edge of sappy camp. When the meeting occurs on the streets of London, Dracula decked out in the dark blue sunglasses (hey, he can walk around in the daytime with a good pair of Raybans!), the romantic story along with the great soundtrack scoring (which I have on CD) is achingly romantic.

However, I will always stay far and away from the dutiful "Far and Away."

As much as I first didn't know what to think of the film and disagreed that two major stars should have been cast (let along husband and wife in real life), "Eyes Wide Shut" is another almost Greek tragedy tale of the unfortunate pitfall of humankind towards slipping into neurotic sexual compulsions.

On repeated viewings, I've warmed up to the film but Nicole upstages Cruise in almost ever scene together. Could that have been the last straw in their relationship? I suspect so.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 08:28 am
Lightwizard wrote:
I did highly appreciate Coppolla's romanticizing of the Dracula story, more so than the Frank Langella which bordered on the edge of sappy camp.

I thought the Dracula version with Frank Langella was extremely romantic. He was fabulous in that role and so was his female lead, Kate Nelligan. Sir Lawrence should have stayed out of it but...I thought Winona Ryder was miscast in the version with Gary Oldham (loved his blue shades. How funky!). She just doesn't work for me in period pieces.

The remake of "The Thomas Crown Affair" with Pierce Brosnan and Renee Russo was, IMO, very romantic and very hot.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 10:45 am
I found the Langella Dracula stagy and not particularly romantic. No wonder -- it was taken from a stage play starring...Frank Langella. There were parts that were romanticized but after a couple of viewings the movie began to bore me.

Disagree that Winona was ineffective -- perhaps the one I would have picked that wasn't the best casting was Keanu Reeves but with Copolla's direction, he didn't even bother me.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 10:58 am
The Frank Langella version is my favorite of all and I only wish I could have seen it on Broadway. Someone on A2K did, squinney, ehbeth, phoenix, don't remember who but one of our girls did.

The atmosphere of Copolla's version was indeed breathtaking, tho. Sumptuous and sensual. And the actor who played Mina was terrifically naughty (Jude Law's ex) but again, Winona was weak, IMO, and I completely forgot about Keanu, who was even weaker.

Those female vamps really worked his ass over, didn't they?!!? Laughing
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 01:26 pm
I can see why you would go in that direction with Anthony Hopkins (in places, chewing up the scenery) and Sadie Frost (the English actress who was also dynamite in "The Krays"), plus Bill Campbell and Cary Elwes all turning in excellent performances. I didn't think either Winona nor Keanu were all that bad. But the topper was Gary Oldham as, I think, the most complex Dracula ever.
One of my favorite scenes in Copolla's version are the female vampires seducing Keanu.

The Langella was too cinematcally prettified in my book -- it was a great stage play but it was turned into some kind of off kilter chick flick.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 03:15 pm
Good Grief.

How could I forget Bram Stoker's Dracula? That material girl knows her movies.

One of the most romantic on my list. I agree with eoe about Ryder. The mood,.... the picture on the screen..... Elisabeta and Vlad....

<sigh>
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 08:54 pm
"Sommersby." One of the few movies that my husband will watch with me. Jodie Foster and Richard Gere. Very romantic.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2005 10:28 pm
Lash wrote:
Good Grief.

How could I forget Bram Stoker's Dracula? That material girl knows her movies.

One of the most romantic on my list. I agree with eoe about Ryder. The mood,.... the picture on the screen..... Elisabeta and Vlad....

<sigh>

I thought Winona captured the vulnerability of the character and that scene in the room adjacent to the church was just mind blowing. I have this movie on DVD and I relish some of the key scenes. It is artistically, for me, one of the finest movies of the last fifty years.
0 Replies

rochey 1

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 05:20 pm
sexy films
I wouldn't consider all of these movies sexy or romantic but there are scenes that stand out as sexy and romantic. personally i prefer sexy scenes to romantic

1 91/2 weeks - this definitely sizzles of the screen especially when Mickey Rourke who was hot back then is seducing Kim Basingers character when he first meets her by teasing her body with icecubes Embarrassed Embarrassed

2 Fright night- When Jerry Dandrige is dancing with Amy in the club and when he bites her at his house ( oh i think i need to cool off)

3 Willow- The scene when Madmartigan (val kilmer) is so shocked at Sorsha's beauty when she pulls off her helmet in the tavern. that was so romantic( " yo.. you're beautiful"). and when he gets hit by the dust of broken hearts by the brownies and goes to her tent to get the baby and becomes infatuated with her " Sorsha awake from this hateful sleep it deprives me of the beauty the beauty of your eyes" " your touch is worth a 100,000 deaths" and when they're fighting on the horse when he kidnaps her. As you can see i really love this movie.

4 Bram Stoker's Dracula a favourite of mine. I love the scene when he grabs her in the theatre and leads her into to a room and puts her on a bed couch and trails his finger down her face and says " i've crossed oceans of time to find you". Now what kind of girl does'nt want to hear that. and of course the scene when Dracula as green mist slinks uner the covers as Mina is sleeping and well you know the rest.

5 The english patient- the scene where Katherine goes to Ralph Fiennes and starts hitting him about the face and he rips her dress off her and when they are having sex against the wall while her husband is outside at the party.

6 Cruel intentions - The scene where Sebastien goes to Annette's room and tells here he's leaving and she locks the door and starts unbuttoning her top ready to give herself to him. favourite quote " Annette why.." " cause i don't trust myself with you.

Thats all i can think of at the momet. god i really thought it through didn't i Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed
0 Replies