Poll: How was Christmas 2020 for you?

maxdancona

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2020 10:35 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

izzythepush wrote:

You clearly delight in using racist language, there’s no point trying explain anything.

Yes, I delight in language in general.

If you really want to get me going... use the word "Latinx". A word that is ironically both politically correct AND culturally insensitive.

Getting rid of "racist language" does not get rid of racism. It might have the opposite effect by covering up racist ideas instead of confronting them.

Having an actual discussion about race is difficult because there are different sides. There isn't one narrative, when White people in poverty point out that they have been locked out of opportunity too, it makes the discussion complicated. There isn't just one side.

Liberals want a simple narrative where if they control language and stamp out ideas they can build a just utopian society where no one is offended. The real discussion that needs to happen is far more complex.

In reality things aren't that black and white.

0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2020 10:38 am
@izzythepush,
I guess it fell out of favour with you all, since that's where ours came from.

Around here there's also rompope from Mexico. It's closer to advocaat, from what I've just read.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2020 10:44 am
@InfraBlue,
I have never had rompope in Mexico. We usually drink ponche (a delicious hot fruit punch) around Christmas time. I am not sure if this is a regional difference.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2020 10:45 am
@InfraBlue,
I’ve been told it originated here before.

I think mulled cider is the most popular Christmas drink over here, particularly New Years Eve, associated with wassailing, which goes back quite a bit.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2020 10:50 am
@maxdancona,
Ponche is popular here too.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2020 10:53 am
@InfraBlue,
Beer is seasonal, we’ve got a **** ton of Winter/Christmas ales and beers and that’s what I’ve been drinking.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2020 11:00 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Ponche is popular here too.

I spent las posadas in Jalisco. I just got back. I spend quite a bit of time around Guadalajara and plan to live there in the not too distant future.

Mexico is a great place to spend Christmas... even in a time of social distancing.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2020 11:07 am
@maxdancona,
During las posadas groups of people go from house to house in a ritual reminiscent of Christmas caroling.

There is a call and response song where the people outside the house are Mary and Joseph asking for "posada" (hospitality) and the people inside the house saying "no" until finally they relent and let them in. Then there is ponche and sweets and bags of candy for the children. It is a wonderful tradition.

With social distancing this year it was much smaller. We had to separate the family into the "outside" and "inside" groups. It was still fun.

0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2020 05:15 am
Not bad. I was able to have a small family gathering with my mom, brother, sister and their respective families.

The children enjoyed their gifts, and that's all I care about. They also enjoyed the new Disney film Soul, though they didn't quite understand the plot and message.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2020 05:20 am
@Rebelofnj,
Was it a biopic about David?
Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2020 05:24 am
@izzythepush,
King David? No.

Soul is about a jazz pianist who suddenly dies and tries to get a second chance at life while helping another soul find their purpose in life.
lmur

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2020 05:32 am
@izzythepush,
Off topic but...

Is biopic pronounced bi-op-ick or bi-oh-pick?
Similarly, myopic. That's probably my-oh-pic (as it aint my-op-ee-ah).

izzythepush

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2020 05:52 am
@lmur,
I pronounce it the first way.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 30 Dec, 2020 05:53 am
@Rebelofnj,
I meant David Soul from Starsky and Hutch.

I wasn’t being completely serious.
0 Replies