Poll: How was Christmas 2020 for you?

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2020 04:49 pm
My Christmas holiday this year sucked. I was forced to spend it alone again. I tried to watch the Christmas Day parades this year but didn't. They were too depressing. I don't want to see any spectators and/or performers wearing Covid-19 face masks. I don't want to be reminded of the pandemic.

My nearest local supermarket was closed. Most restaurants were closed. I just wanted to go out and get some egg nog.

I couldn't even order any food from Grubhub or Doordash. Not even an egg nog frappe from Starbucks online.

I wasn't fixated on getting any gifts this year. That was not important to me.

What about you? Please help. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 2,209 • Replies: 33
No top replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2020 04:53 pm
My mother is still stuck in a nearby rehab center and nursing facility and it's closed to the public because of the COVID-19 pandemic and crisis. I couldn't even visit her on Christmas this year. At least I got to speak to her over the phone.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2020 07:00 pm
I am sorry to hear you feel so alone. The pandemic is wearing on all of us, I think this is the worst of it and the end is in sight.

I hope you feel better.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 26 Dec, 2020 07:39 pm
@maxdancona,
Hello Max, thank you for responding. How was YOUR holiday?
maxdancona

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2020 08:47 am
@JGoldman10,
My holiday was pretty good. I traveled... but tried to do it safely. Social isolation with people I care about.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2020 07:51 pm
@maxdancona,
Thank you. FINALLY, SOMEONE RESPONDED WITH A SATISFACTORY ANSWER.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2020 04:46 am
@JGoldman10,
Supermarkets don’t sell egg nog over here, if you want it you’ll have to make it yourself.

Having said that I never have, I don’t fancy it, sounds too much like advocaat.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2020 08:28 am
I believe they started selling eggnog because people are afraid of drinking uncooked eggs. The store bought stuff is pasteurized
izzythepush

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2020 08:38 am
@maxdancona,
We don’t consume it over here, it’s not something we associate with Christmas.

It also sounds a bit racist. During the 70’s a more ’acceptable,’ racist term that appeared on telly was to shorten the n word to the first three letters and add nog.

I know eggnog isn’t racist, but it sounds it over here. And I still don’t fancy drinking raw egg, regardless.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2020 09:16 am
@izzythepush,
I am never niggardly with my eggnog (another racist sounding term that doesn't actually have racist roots).

My industry (software) is now in a big argument about whether the term whitelist (or blacklist) should be changed. We have a whitelist as part of the software I work on to determine which data should be processed. The argument over words seems silly to me.
InfraBlue

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2020 09:45 am
@izzythepush,
"Nignog"? Seriously?
izzythepush

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2020 09:49 am
@maxdancona,
Just because certain words that sound racist may have non racist derivations doesn’t mean they should be used, not with our extensive vocabulary.

You could use parsimonious then you can’t be accused of sneaky racism, like when the white southern racists mispronounced negro so it sounded like the n word.

Never had egg nog, never even seen it, only heard it referenced on American telly apart from one solitary mention on a cooking show and that was it.

It was a Christmas special and egg nog was one of a few Christmas drinks, from what I remember it went down very well.

I still don’t fancy it, like I don’t fancy advocaat. That’s available in the shops though.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2020 09:57 am
@InfraBlue,
Seriously, there was a TV comedy called Love Thy Neighbour about a black family living next door to a bigot and his wife. He used that term all the time, it’s as bad as the n word over here.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2020 09:59 am
@InfraBlue,
Google the term.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2020 10:00 am
@izzythepush,
I don't think you and I will ever agree on this.

Trying to eliminate words from the English language is silly. These ridiculous arguments about whether a word terms like "master/slave" when used in electronics might offend people by disenfranchising the rights of disk drives is laughable (and meaningless). They distract from real issues.

We should be talking about how to make real changes to society to ensure rights, that means ensuring voting rights and ending real discrimination in the work place. No one has a right to not be offended.

Everyone of us has pushed a male plug into a female receptacle. If this is rape to you, you have a problem.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2020 10:06 am
@izzythepush,
Ohh, I thought you meant that "nignog" was coined to replace "eggnog," not that it was meant to replace the n-word. Ok, never mind. Carry on.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2020 10:10 am
@InfraBlue,
We don’t have eggnog over here.
NSFW (view)
izzythepush

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2020 10:18 am
@maxdancona,
You clearly delight in using racist language, there’s no point trying explain anything.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 29 Dec, 2020 10:22 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

You clearly delight in using racist language, there’s no point trying explain anything.

Yes, I delight in language in general.

If you really want to get me going... use the word "Latinx". A word that is ironically both politically correct AND culturally insensitive.